December 2013 Moms
Options

What's your opinion on....

...upgrading wedding rings? Does it diminish the sentimental value of the original ring? What if you just upgrade the setting of the engagement stone? I'm not sure where I stand.
imageimageimageimage

Re: What's your opinion on....

• Options
    I have 4 stones that I plan on turning into one at some point. But, I'm planning on it being an anniversary or something to add to sentimental value.

• Options
    I'm not a fan of diamonds or jewelry really. I like to wear just a plain diamond band and not even my engagement ring (which is a yellow sapphire not a diamond) so to me, I'd rather spend the $ on something else. But if you are a jewelry person then I can see spending the $!

I guess I'm no help here haha
  • Options
    Engagement ring, no. It is perfect. Even more perfect than the hints I dropped DH before we were engaged. He did better than what I thought I wanted. Which meant he dropped a hefty amount of cash on it. It had a matching wedding band but at the time, we didn't want to spend that much on it (especially considering what we wanted for his ring was already so inexpensive, titanium carbite or something). We bought a similar ring for far less money on overstock (with diamonds and gold of far less quality) with plans to upgrade to the matching band at 5 years.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My engagement stone is awesome, nearly flawless, and I love it. The setting and wedding band are so simple though. Our fifth anniversary is coming up and he's asked me what I want, and I've considered telling him new bands, but I can't decide if I want to change the original set. I feel attached to them, since we picked them out together, but part of me wants something a little blingier now that it's financially feasible.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I think it is totally personal preference. Perhaps you can incorporate the original stones into the new design if you want to keep some part of it for sentimental reasons? I don't see anything wrong with trading in if you are cool with it though. My thought is that you wear it every day so you should love it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not something I'm interested in doing at all. I have so many other places I'd rather spend that money. Travel, home improvement, savings, etc.
    DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
  • Options
    Mine has a lot of sentimental value to me, my son picked it out with my dh. I also am not big on expensive jewelry and diamonds aren't my thing. I think of a thousand things I want more than a ring upgrade. If you can afford to do it and it's not a big deal to you or your dh to change it, then I have no judgement. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

I've considered it. My settings are white gold which I like the look of but it wears off (white gold is yellow gold with plating) so I have to get them redone every once in a while. I would keep my stones because I'm attached to them but I'd like a platinum setting I think.

That is incorrect. White Gold is not white because of plating.
    24k gold is yellow
    In the US most jewelry is either 14k or 18k
    14k = 58.3% pure gold the difference is composed of an alloy. If the consumer wats white gold (which is Obvisouly yellow). And then there will be a white alloy ( type of metal) used.
    Once completed they will rhodium plate it to make it seem whiter. If done well it should last years.
    If it is not done well and you use harsh chemicals constantly it will show quicker. Jeep in mind the majority of the metal is yellow it tends to show after some time.
    If it is rose gold(pink gold) they will use copper
    18k is 75% pure gold
    And so on

OP you can look at it like it is something you can pass down to your children
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't. The originals are too sentimental for me to replace. And as others said, I'd rather spend the money on other things!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would never trade up. I'm pretty sappy/sentimental though. I also have a pretty nice ring. If I had something different, I may not feel the same way.
  • Options
    I totally would get new rings. Dh would be really sad though because they're sentimental to him haha. Here's the flame worthy part, my center stone is over a carat, I just don't like the shape of it.
  • Options
    What shape is it and what would you prefer?
  • Options
    This would break my DH's heart. He put a lot of thought and effort into finding my ring. I wouldn't even dare mention it. Is your DH ok with this?
  • Options
    What shape is it and what would you prefer?

It's a princess and I guess I'd like a round, oval, cushion, or maybe another I'm not thinking of right now. I've never brought it up to dh, but his sister recently upgraded hers after 15 yrs of marriage, and his brother bought his fiancée a beautiful 2 carat oval engagement ring and he asked if I'd ever want a different one. I said no, I love it. Maybe I'll broach the subject in 8 years for our 15th anniversary. Like others have said, we have other things to spend that kind of money on right now.
  • Options
    I love my engagement ring bc DH designed it and so it's unique and super sparkly! The down side is that it's white gold and rubs off as pp mentioned. Not only does it stink to have to keep getting that fixed, but I'm allergic to nickel and so I get a rash. So one day I really want to get a platinum upgrade. Also the large diamond was a poor choice (the person helping DH mislead him) and so therefore it doesn't shine like it should, also looks a lot smaller than what it is. I would also like to replace that, even if it was smaller but a better quality. I have to get my rings resized I guess bc even though I've lost a lot of my weight they just aren't fitting anymore. Bummer bc right before j had to baby DH had the ring dipped and cleaned so my non swollen hands could finally wears my rings, no such luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"