July 2014 Moms

STMs: Antibiotic Ointment?

Hey Ladies,

I was just looking at the bump's list of baby first aid must-haves and saw "antibiotic ointment" listed.  

I am incredibly allergic to bacitracin, an antibiotic ointment found in neosporin, polysporin and the like.  We're talking red, swollen, oozing, pustule-covered skin for a week or more type reaction wherever it makes contact with my skin.

There's pretty much no way I could put this on my baby without it getting on me, right?  Is it ok to skip this "nursery essential"?

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: STMs: Antibiotic Ointment?

• I have a similar issue, I use hydrogen peroxide. Not sure what to do with the babies if they have the issue too. Can always use gloves to apply it though so it doesn't get on you.
  • pantherRNpantherRN member
    edited March 2014
    I wouldn't put a topical antibiotic on a baby without speaking to a doc about it first anyway. I'm pretty sure you can skip it.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• Loading the player...
  • I think so. You can probably use other things to clean the wounds (which your lo more than likely won't get until at least a year old), like rubbing alcohol. I also remember my mom using Bactine Spray. I don't think it's an antibiotic, rather just an antiseptic. Soap and water does the trick too, which is how we doctor or son's scrapes.

TBH, I don't remember ever using triple antibiotic salve on him. Just soap and water and clean/dry band aids.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• If you did ever have to use it, you could always put gloves on or use a q-tip to apply the ointment to keep it from getting on you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would ask the doc about it in case there's also a chance baby is allergic. You might want something different on hand anyway.
  • I don' think I've ever put antibiotic ointment on DS, either. He has only had one open wound that I can think of, and since it was on his fingers (which go in his mouth often) I wouldn't want to put antibiotic ointment anyway.

• I read they may recommend it on a healing circumcision.
  • I always used vaseline if I ever had to apply anything. I've never used antibiotic ointment. Wash, dry, vaseline. This is my 1st DS after 3 DDs but most of them used vaseline after the circumcision. It has so many uses I figured I should be safe if I keep a tub of it around. ....it's worked so well so far.
  • kleMcK said:

My DD is 2 and I have yet to put antibiotic ointment on her. That seems like a weird essential.

Exactly this, also. DD is 2....never used the stuff. I don't think I even have any in the house.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Ok, thanks so much for the insights!  Glad to hear it's not truly an "essential"!  :)

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 

• It probably isn't essential but more like a "good to have on hand just in case." I know DS took a couple diggers when walking outside and scraped his knees (which obviously wouldn't be until closer to a year old). If your LO will be around a cat, it probably wouldn't hurt to have it in case of accidental scratches. But I don't see it being something you can't just run to the store and pick up if need be.
  • amlonica said:

I read they may recommend it on a healing circumcision.

We only used a&d ointment on my son's circ. Everytime we changed his diaper, took the old gauze off,gently cleaned it/patted it dry, goobered a clean graze pad up with a&d ointment, put it on, and re-diapered.

Triple antibiotic was never mentioned.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• We've never used it. For the circ, they gave us a huge tube of generic A&D, but you can also use Vaseline.
  • The only ointment we were told we could use was a&d, we never had or used it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I never use neosporian. We use coconut oil pharmacy grade. We use it for lotion, diaper rash, when we have cuts, pink eye, cough suppressant the list goes on. It's antibacterial and antifungal.
  • we use aquaphor for everything.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

image image
  • cookieinvacookieinva member
    edited March 2014
    Just chiming in...never used it before a year old for sure. They gave us, and we only used, vaseline on his healing circ. Eventually, though, you'll need something like this around so it is still worth thinking about, but not essential right now in my opinion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never put Neosporin on my babies.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"