Special Needs

Anesthesia effects on Autism

DS had surgery to transfer a tendon on his clubfoot two weeks ago and since he had the surgery and was put out under general anesthesia he seems different. He doesn't have pain anymore, but he is in a full leg cast. He doesn't seem bothered by the cast anymore, either. He has been waking up nightly in pure terror. He woke up the other night scared and saying "I want mommy" and "mom, whats that loud noise." (they did have to use a drill during surgery and I really hope that's not the loud noise he's referring to. It was silent in the room when he said that.) I don't think it's a night terror because he talks and answers our questions. I'm starting to wonder and worry if he maybe knew what was going on during surgery or really wasn't completely "out."  He was combative and terrified when they brought me back to the recovery room. He was already awake and I had asked to come back before he was awake so he could see me right away.

He has been scripting a lot of Thomas the train episodes since having surgery and also referring to himself as a couple of the characters who are his favorite. Example: Answering questions as "Toby says no/yes" I'm assuming this is "normal" since he can be in control of the Thomas scripting but he doesn't have control over surgery and recovery.

I guess my main question/concern is how would we know if he was actually awake or not fully under during surgery. And can anesthesia affect kids on the autism spectrum differently or cause worsening autism symptoms?  

Thanks!

Re: Anesthesia effects on Autism

• My daughter was put under and definitely had some sleep disturbances in the month following. However, so did my nt nephew of the same age so it's just a kid reaction, not necessarily an autistic one. It does pass in 4-6 weeks so hang in there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is he on prescription pain meds?

I know I had some awful dreams on percocet after surgery
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, full anesthesia.
  • McRib said:

My son definitely regressed after general anestesia. They used propophol and he had the same sleep regressions that you are describing and had sudden separation anxiety. I think it was due to his MTHFR status (he is homozygous for c6277t) and I know there are special protocols for MTHFR and anestesia and also kids with mitocondrial dysfunction and anestesia so I would definitely research this if he needs to go under again. We had no clue about any of it at the time and I think we could have made choices that wouldn't have impacted him so much. Also, epsom salt baths at night might help a little bit. My son snapped out of the sleep issues after about 1-2 months (ugh!) hang in there.

This makes me curious. Both girls are compound heterozygous and to my knowledge the only thing it avoid is nitrous oxide. Out of all the times they have been put under only 1 anesthesiologist even knew what mthfr was!
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Spockles said:

Yes, full anesthesia.

spockles,

If he was fully under and had a painful procedure they would likely know if he was partially awake because his heart rate and blood pressure would have gone up especially if he was scared.

Monday will be Ps 20th time under general :-/
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Hopefully it's just his way of processing all of the unfamiliar things that he saw before/after surgery.

DD1 had a tongue tie & lip tie correction this past October and she still is talking about how she was crying when they out the sleep mask on and how she asked for mama. Breaks my heart she remembers that. In recovery, she was extremely combative and in enough pain to require additional narcotics immediately. However, I'm confident she wasn't really "there." She has no recollection of PACU or that evening really.

Perhaps the sleep disturbances are just remnants of the recovery and will soon be sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"