February 2013 Moms
Options

when do you plan to ditch the pacifier?

I have been wanting to do it since he was 9 months, but I keep chickening out. Problem is, he is "needing" it more and more and is getting tantrum-y when he wants it and we won't give it to him.

For those who have done it already, how did you do it? Any tips?

For those who haven't, when do you plan to?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: when do you plan to ditch the pacifier?

• Options
    I'm not planning on getting rid of it for a long time. I don't care if she has it till she's 3 for naps and bedtime. We have already stopped letting pacifiers out where she can get them, because I don't want her to just be walking around with it for no reason. Currently she only gets it when she's very upset as it helps calm her down, or for sleep. She is very reliant on it to sleep and I don't feel that it's a good idea for anyone to be taking it away before she can understand why.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    DS only uses it for sleep and the car but is pretty attached to it. Our pediatrician recommended taking it away by 15 months so that he doesn't become SUPER attached. Honestly, I'm going to try it but am pretty nervous! But I figure it will be a rough few days but then it will be over and done with. We'll see!

Oh and I'm just planning on going cold turkey but replacing it with a new lovey. 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    djm31012 said:
    Never . Baby sleeps , mama sleeps. Happy baby = happy mama. He won't be going off to high school with it so I'm fine letting him have it til he doesn't want it anymore .
    This is precisely why I'm hesitant!!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options
    Drea926 said:
    djm31012 said:
    Never . Baby sleeps , mama sleeps. Happy baby = happy mama. He won't be going off to high school with it so I'm fine letting him have it til he doesn't want it anymore .

Yeah, my parents said that about my blanket. It went to college with me.
  • Options
    djm31012 said:
    YES!

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

• Options

Drea926 said:

djm31012 said:

Never . Baby sleeps , mama sleeps.
    Happy baby = happy mama
    . He won't be going off to high school with it so I'm fine letting him have it til he doesn't want it anymore .

-----end quote-----
    This should probably be a FFFC, but I still sleep with my Winnie the Pooh bear that I got for my birthday when I was one. I feel like I need something to hold onto when I sleep and DH never wants to be touched because he sweats too much. So pooh bear it is.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    So cooper stopped using his on his own when he was about 5 months. However me myself, I still sleep with a teddy bear. Anywayssss my babysitter has suggested over the years some of her parents clipped the tip of the pacis therefore defeating the purpose of it...Maybe worth a shot but it might just frustrate the L O...
  • Options
    Probably not until closer to two, but I have been trying to wean him down to just having it in bed. But I'm not doing so well at that because he started yelling and I just plug the hole. ;)
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    I was thinking 18 months but after reading this maybe 15. We only use it for car rides and sleeping but I'd like to get rid of it sometime soon. But this kid teeths HARD so I don't know how well he will do if the rest of his teeth are coming in and he has no paci. He only has 6 teeth...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Drea926 said:

djm31012 said:

Happy baby = happy mama
    . He won't be going off to high school with it so I'm fine letting him have it til he doesn't want it anymore .

=))
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • Options
    DD2 gave hers up on her own at about 9 months. DD1 still uses hers. She'll be 3 in 2 weeks. We have had a LOT going on in the past year (buying house, renovating house, trip to US, moving to the new house, Xmas chaos, my parents visiting, starting preschool), and I haven't wanted to take it away from her while these big things have been going on. It's next on the list, though. I'm planning on telling her her paci has to stay in her bed so she can keep it to sleep for a while longer, but then that'll have to go, too. 

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    DS uses it for sleep and the occasional car ride. I want to ditch it. He seems to be getting more attached. I occasionally find him walking around with it, and I take it immediately. But, like others, I don't wish to disrupt sleep. But honestly, all I am doing is making it a future, possibly worse problem. I think everyone in this house goes a solid week without being sick, I will try to stop using it at bed time. I will probably allow it longer for nap and middle of the night wake ups.
  • Options
    We use it for sleep and occasionally in the car. No idea when we will stop.

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Options
    And they do stay in the crb at home for the most part.

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Options
    djm31012 said:

Happy baby = happy mama. He won't be going off to high school with it so I'm fine letting him have it til he doesn't want it anymore .

PREACH!!!
  • Options
    I am in in a hurry actually. And my daughter actually spits it out when she is asleep. I let her use it for car rides or when she gets fussy while running errands. The biggest reason of all is when she is teething if she doesn't have her paci then she has all (yes all) her fingers in her mouth. Sometimes I can see her rubbing but most of the time she is sucking on her whole hand and more often than not she will gag (and sometimes vomit) so I am fine with her still having a paci at 13 months or longer if needed.
  • Options
    I am in in a hurry actually. And my daughter actually spits it out when she is asleep. I let her use it for car rides or when she gets fussy while running errands. The biggest reason of all is when she is teething if she doesn't have her paci then she has all (yes all) her fingers in her mouth. Sometimes I can see her rubbing but most of the time she is sucking on her whole hand and more often than not she will gag (and sometimes vomit) so I am fine with her still having a paci at 13 months or longer if needed.
    Sorry for the typo!! I am in NO hurry.......
  • Options
    I was thinking 18 months but after reading this maybe 15. We only use it for car rides and sleeping but I'd like to get rid of it sometime soon. But this kid teeths HARD so I don't know how well he will do if the rest of his teeth are coming in and he has no paci. He only has 6 teeth...

I didn't want to use a pacifier at all, until DH pointed out we can take away a pacifier but not a thumb.  And we're in the same spot as you, just for sleep and the car, except DD only has 3 teeth, and if she doesn't have a pacifier while she's teething, she will just chew on her hands until they are raw and cracked.  So while I would theoretically love to get rid of the pacifier sooner rather than later, it's kind of the lesser of two evils at this point. :-\ 

I'm pretty dead set on making sure she's totally pacifier-free by the time she's 2, though.  If we can get rid of it earlier, that'd be great, but I'm kind of playing it by ear, depending on how the rest of this teething journey goes. :-P

• Options
    We are 1 week pacifier free! DS only used it for sleep at home. Daycare was letting him have it all the time. Over the last month he started knocking them out of his crib during the night again. I was tired of having to go in and find it. I made the spontaneous decision that I was not going to go in and replace it. The first night he did great until 5 am. He cried for almost an hr. After that each day has been better. Naps were harder than bedtime. I did give him a small blanket to sleep with which has helped him with the transition. I was very nervous about it but it turned out so much easier than I expected.
  • Options
    Puck1182 said:

I didn't want to use a pacifier at all, until DH pointed out we can take away a pacifier but not a thumb.  And we're in the same spot as you, just for sleep and the car, except DD only has 3 teeth, and if she doesn't have a pacifier while she's teething, she will just chew on her hands until they are raw and cracked.  So while I would theoretically love to get rid of the pacifier sooner rather than later, it's kind of the lesser of two evils at this point. :-\ 

I'm pretty dead set on making sure she's totally pacifier-free by the time she's 2, though.  If we can get rid of it earlier, that'd be great, but I'm kind of playing it by ear, depending on how the rest of this teething journey goes. :-P

*** stuck in the quote box*****

It sounds like you already know, but just as a heads-up, teething can take much longer than 2 years, and the last ones are the worst. DD1 hardly had any teething issues - she would just chew on wood. And then, right about when she turned 2, she went insane. Utterly and completely insane. For about 2 weeks, that is, and then her eye teeth broke through and I realized what had been going on because she went back to normal. When she was 2.5 her 2nd year molars came through and it was the same thing. Anyway, just wanted to warn you that unfortunately, being 2 doesn't necessarily mean that the teething - or even the worst of the teething - is over. It sounds like you're already prepared to be flexible if necessary, though :)

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options

Oh the molar hell. That's when shit gets real.

I praised God when the last molar finally came through for DD1.

And then you started over, right? Lol
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"