Parenting
Options

Tell me about driving 3-4 hours with a preschooler

I'm taking my first mini vacation with DD (she'll be 4 1/2 this summer) and our destination is a good 3-4 hour drive away.. not terribly far, but the longest I've been in the car with her for more than 45 minutes. I do not have a DVD player in the back of my car and she will probably sleep some of the way if I time the trip right. Can anyone give me some helpful hints and tips about traveling moderate distances in the car with preschoolers? I'm predicting a lot of "are we almost there" from the backseat ;) Thanks!

Re: Tell me about driving 3-4 hours with a preschooler

• Options
    We have a portable DVD player that can strap on to the head rests for long trips. Pack lots of snacks. Bring new toys that she will be excited about. I always suggest magna doodle for long trips. Target's Dollar Spot or the dollar store usually have good travel art sets. Make stops fun and exciting. Have fun!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
  • Options
    DVD player and headphones, plenty of snacks, drinks and time for potty breaks. Good luck, have a great time. I would always pack a picnic and stop at a park on long road trips when the DC were little.
  • Options
    Choose a good rest stop in advance that you'd be ok with hanging out at for about an hour.  When I do drives like that with my son it's usually worth the extra hour out to give him a break to run around a play place at the half way point

• Options
    Plan an extra hour or so and just make a few stops.  We drive 7 hours a couple times a summer and just make sure we have a lot of toys and make a bunch of stops.  We don't have a DVD player and don't plan on getting one.  I have strong feelings about TV in the car.  He likes to sing so we sang a lot of songs.
    The Book of Love Has Music in it

• Options
    I'm all for DVD player in the car on long trips. Mommy needs sanity. I try to plan leaving a couple hours before lunch (enough time to watch a movie), stop for lunch and run around, then I hope she naps the remaining time.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options
    MrsBadKat said:
    msdrdg said:
    Plan an extra hour or so and just make a few stops.  We drive 7 hours a couple times a summer and just make sure we have a lot of toys and make a bunch of stops.  We don't have a DVD player and don't plan on getting one.  I have strong feelings about TV in the car.  He likes to sing so we sang a lot of songs.

lol, what kind of strong feelings do you have about TV in the car?
    Mostly I just don't feel they are necessary.  Mostly my feelings are for shorter trips, like the people who have them on for trips across town or whatever, but I don't like them in general.  I also don't believe in TVs in bedrooms. 
    The Book of Love Has Music in it

• Options
    The preteen has a TV in her room. I don't want to watch Icarly. She is a smart and active kid. Short hair, don't care she has a TV in her room.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"