Working Moms
Options

NWMR but need toddler crib-->bed while traveling advice

Not sure who else to ask and if I ask my family then I'll have to defend my actions if I go against their recommendations :)

DD is now 20 months and sleeps in her crib.  We are traveling to a vacation house when she is 23 months (so in 3 months), that we'll be sharing with 3 other families, all part of our extended family. 

My question is whether it would be better to transition DD to a bed NOW in preparation for the trip OR suck it up and rent a crib or bring our 30 lb PNP (which won't cost us as we are flying Southwest).  OR I guess a third option is what my SIL suggested: buy a PNP locally then return it at the end of the week...I'm not comfortable with this.  I don't have an option to borrow a crib or PNP.  

I'm concerned that DD will be too big to sleep in the PNP by then.  She is already able to get her toes on top of the crib rail though she hasn't climbed out yet.  I'm guessing its a matter of time.  The rental house will have stairs, though DD is reasonably capable on stairs and I supposed we could somehow prevent her from being able to leave the bedroom at night.  

What would a wise mom do??

Re: NWMR but need toddler crib-->bed while traveling advice

• Options
    jf198400jf198400 member
    edited March 2014
    At that age I think a pack n play will be too small. I would have her sleep in a bed. I don't think you have to transition before the trip. Could you just have her sleep in bed with you?

Eta at that age our dd was already in a twin bed at home and she slept on an aerobed on vacation.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

She DOES use a nap mat at daycare.

She cannot sleep with me.  We never really co-slept so she equates any time in bed with mom as play time.  Even on a few occasions when I brought her in to bed with me in the middle of the night thinking she needed soothing.  She just played, slide herself off the bed and toddled around.

Should we just ditch the crib at home now?  I would just put the mattress on the floor.  Other option is to move a twin low trundle from another room in to hers which I was planning to do at some point.

I almost feel like this might be good timing.  As soon as she hits 2, I think DC starts the potty training process so maybe one transition at a time?  Or am I overanalyzing that one?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    There's no harm in trying to ditch the crib now, right?  Worst case scenario, you realize that she won't sleep at night in a floor bed, and you bring the PnP or rent a crib for your vacation due to this

Right!  OK, I'm going to go for it this weekend.  Let's just hope DH is on board...usually he is.

Fun times ahead!

• Options
    groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited March 2014
    Will she sleep on the floor if you make a little nest sort of thing? My DS actually slept on the floor by choice for quite some time which made it quite easy when we traveled, I would lay down some blankets & a pillow and make him what I called a nest & he loved it.

Also what about one of those travel bed thingees (they're inflatable, I think you can pack in your suitcase...?) if you have any use for it in the future?

I never really got the rush to switch to a bed if kids are not climbing out or unsafe or if the crib isn't needed for another child, and I wouldn't personally do it early just b/c of a vacation where there are lots of options available but that is just me. GL!
  • Options
    My daughter, nearly 2, just spent last week in a PNP with no problem.  And she is tall.
    I think it depends on whether you think she is ready for the bed transition.  My DD is not.  I would keep her in a crib for the next two years if I could.  LOL.
    If I was in your situation and there was no option for renting a PNP for the week from somewhere, I would buy the cheap version and leave it at the house for the next person or donate it on my way home.
  • Options
    My DS sleeps in a crib at home, and I have no plans to change that anytime soon. We travel often, at about 24 months he was too big for the PNP. We got him the toddler air mattress with bumpers. He goes to sleep like a champ, but always wakes in the middle of the night and crawls into bed with me and DH. This works great for us.
    DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Options
    Almost every vacation house I have stayed in has provided a pack and play. If they don't have one yet, they may be willing to get one to help you out and to have for future families. I think it would also be okay to try sleeping your daughter on the floor since she is used to it at daycare. I would keep the crib going as long as possible at home. I like having my kid contained! I use sleep sacks even now to discourage climbing.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options

Update: 2 nights in with DD sleeping on her crib mattress on the floor.  She went down with no problem but she fell off the mattress a couple times, both nights.  All in all, I'd consider this a success so far!

I'm going to switch her to a twin bed and I bought a $20 rail to attach to it.  The frame is very low to the ground to even if she falls, it is less than 12" down. Enough to wake her...which I'm thinking is good...better that she learns to stay on the bed! ;)

Best part is that I can actually cuddle a bit with her which I think is helping her ease in to bedtime better than plopping her in her crib.

So for travel, I think a mattress on the floor will do and I can forgo all the fancy toddler travel gear.

• Options
    Yes, I liked cuddling with DS when we moved him to a bed. He fell out of his toddler bed a bunch of times without waking up. After he got a black eye, we put his mattress on the floor.

DD is nearing 2 and sleeps well in her crib. I am planning to contain her for as long as possible. :)
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"