Working Moms
Options

NWMR: front loading washer

We just moved and have a laundry room on main level over basement. The previous owners took their washer and dryer so we purchased a new set. We went with front loader because we love the one in our old house. Well holy frait train vibration. We had a service technition Come out and check the balance. It was off balance, but it still vibrates. The technician said it had to do with being on the second floor . Have to be careful with how we load it...not too much not to little. My old one was awesome never had an issue with load size. I started doing some research and come to find out front loaders should not be on the second floor. Considering most new homes where I live have second or third floor laundry shocked that sales person did not say something. At this point we are planning to return the washer For fear of structural damage to the house. When I am standing in the laundary room I can feel the vibration through the entire room. Anyone else have this issue? Is it a problem with he top loaders too? Ours is a Samsung. The old one was a whirlpool but was in the basement on concrete From what I have read that is what made the difference as far as vibration.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: NWMR: front loading washer

• Options
    My sister has a Samsung on the second floor of her house, and she's never had any problem with it.  I wouldn't worry about it causing structural problems (unless, of course, it leaks or overflows at any point).  But I agree that it would be really annoying to have that much vibration, especially if you (or the kids!) are trying to sleep.  I have no idea if a top-loader would be better or not.  Honestly I would have thought that anything that spins could be an issue, but I also would have thought that as long as the spot is level, and the machine is level and relatively balanced, it shouldn't be a problem....guess I would have been wrong!
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ss+elss+el member
    Was the house built with a second floor laundry room? You can't just run plumbing to a room and slap laundry machines in it. If it's not in the basement, it has to be built a certain way. It sounds to me like the room was not properly built.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we have a samsung front loader & no loud vibration issues. this is a dumb question but are you sure it isn't bumping up against the dryer or has stuff on top of it? If I leave something on top of ours it will often shake it right off & whatever is on top will come crashing to the floor.  I

I did a quick google & there is also something about the shipping bolts needing to be removed, the repair person probably looked at that too...?

Also this might have helpful info...related to pp's comment about the type of floor/space in the house:
    https://www.vibrationsolution.com/blog/tag/samsung/

• Options
    ss+el said:
    Was the house built with a second floor laundry room? You can't just run plumbing to a room and slap laundry machines in it. If it's not in the basement, it has to be built a certain way. It sounds to me like the room was not properly built.
    It was built with the house. The house was built 13 years ago. Now if it was done right I don't know but the house was custom and our inspecter said things like the deck were built beyond code so I would assume it was right. Now I am starting to wo der if it is the machine, although repair guy said machine was fine.
  • Options
    groovygrl said:
    we have a samsung front loader & no loud vibration issues. this is a dumb question but are you sure it isn't bumping up against the dryer or has stuff on top of it? If I leave something on top of ours it will often shake it right off & whatever is on top will come crashing to the floor.  I

I did a quick google & there is also something about the shipping bolts needing to be removed, the repair person probably looked at that too...?

Also this might have helpful info...related to pp's comment about the type of floor/space in the house:
    https://www.vibrationsolution.com/blog/tag/samsung/

Thanks I saw Info on bolts too I assume he Checked as he rebalanced but I am going to see if Dh can look. Thanks for the link we have a friend who does remodeling and we are going to have him look at the floor. The previous owners had a top loader. I have owned old style top loaders and front loader and this is my first time dealing with this type of vibration issue.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone hopefully we figure it out soon
  • Options

I wonder if a set of those over-priced platforms that match the washer and dry might help? I thought they were designed to minimize vibration, or the effects of it, anyway.

I would be sad if I had to give up my front loader for a top loader.

• Options
    We found some rubber feet that fit on the bottom if the washer. They help a lot. I have an old GE front loader. I could not wash towels in the thing until we got the rubber feet.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options

I wonder if a set of those over-priced platforms that match the washer and dry might help? I thought they were designed to minimize vibration, or the effects of it, anyway.

I would be sad if I had to give up my front loader for a top loader.

We have those I think it makes it worse. I will look into rubber feet. My husband also has a call into lowes where we purchased the machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"