October 2013 Moms
Options

NBR vent/Dear Diary Post

Kind of being an AW but I am just am so pissed. I am a fully credentialed teacher and even though I am SAHM I have continued with keeping my certificate current. Anyways I just did a assessment on a third grader this week that needs a lot of help in all subjects. He is being considered for retention. His parents contacted me via care.com and I did my free first session to see if we are a good fit. I felt I could help him so let them know my rates and they told me they would have to think about it. I just got an e-mail telling them they would love to hire me but they can only pay 10 dollars an hour! WTF?!? I pay my 15 year old babysitter 10 bucks an hour. I am a college educated fully credentialed teacher driving to your home to tutor your kid and you want to pay me ten dollars an hour. I am so frustrated and offended right now I can't respond to their e-mail yet. Anyways I just needed to vent and can't wait until wtf Wednesday. Please feel free to vent about something here as well OR help me write a response to their insulting offer.
Charlotte 12.3.09
Madeline 6.24.11
Eleanor 9.30.13

Re: NBR vent/Dear Diary Post

• Options
    I tutor for Sylvan and our rate ranges from $15/hr for 1-2 kids to $30/hr for 7-8 kids at an after school program. One on one in their home should get way more than $10!

I'd explain that to them, counter and like pp said, walk if need be. Your time is worth more than that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I left them with my info at the first session, I have a fee schedule that I leave with all my clients that includes the area average as well as the cost of sylvan and kumon.

I do feel that they are ignorant of the situation but if my kid was going to possibly be held back and have to repeat a grade I would definitely willing to pay more then 10 bucks an hour for my kid to get some help.

@ReginaGeorgeissofetch‌, I am so
    glad you find this interesting.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Options
    Unfortunately not everyone can afford more than $10 an hour, especially if they get paid minimum wage or a little over. They want to help their child but can't not pay daily bills to do it. Could you maybe steer them to a low cost place that tutors if they can't afford you?
  • Options
    norbert5norbert5 member
    edited March 2014
    @amber0529, I do cut deals for people that need some help. I really do love to help the kids but this family is definitely NOT hurting for cash based on their house and location. I am thinking they are just cheap.

@petdocd‌, I hoping you are right. This kid needs help and his parents are beig ridiculous. They cut my hourly rate by over half.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"