Natural Birth
Options

Sugar water?

Hi everyone,

We're trying to be prepared for all of the decisions we'll need to make once the baby arrives. What are your thoughts and/or experiences regarding sugar water? Is this something that was recommended by your medical provider for any painful procedures for your newborn?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

BabyFruit TickerAnniversary

Re: Sugar water?

• Options
    Personally I would try to avoid anything other than breastmilk so as to not interfere with baby's gut.

Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, Childbirth/Lactation Educator

Corin Andrew Dec 24/09

Ronan Edward Jul 9/12

Baby #3 EDD Aug 6/14

• Options
    What kind of painful procedures are we talking about? For something like a shot I don't think it's necessary, just breastfeed instead. For something like circumcision I think it's completely inadequate.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you! I read that some hospitals will give them sugar water for shots and vaccinations...

• Options
    just breastfeed while they're getting shots. It's better for baby.

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you everyone!

• Options
    DH and I are still TTC, so we have no experience with this!
    Is it true that for babies unused to sugar is acts like a mild narcotic or something?
    And, just to clarify, from what I have read it seems like we are talking about a very small amount of sugar water, not a couple of table spoons or anything--could that small amount really interfere with a baby's digestion? Parents who have used it, what was your experience?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Idk f sugar water acts as a narcotic. Certainly I've heard people claim that. I do know that there are studies showing breastfeeding helps manage pain, though.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MSVarner said:

DH and I are still TTC, so we have no experience with this!
    Is it true that for babies unused to sugar is acts like a mild narcotic or something?
    And, just to clarify, from what I have read it seems like we are talking about a very small amount of sugar water, not a couple of table spoons or anything--could that small amount really interfere with a baby's digestion? Parents who have used it, what was your experience?

DH, a pedi, said that sugar water does act as a narcotic. DS got some after his circ. No complaints from my end, and he had no issues with digestion or nursing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"