Cloth Diapering

Well water and CDing?

What is your wash routine if you have well water with a lot of sediment in it? When I CD'd my DD we had city water and I used ECOS. TIA for you advice :-)
Carly
(Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

Re: Well water and CDing?

• I don't know that we have much sediment in our water but it is on the hard side.  I tried making my own detergent but it just wasn't getting the diapers clean so I just went to Tide.  I have an HE FL. I set it for a Pre Wash (no detergent), Normal wash with Hot/Cold and High Soil setting, Extra Rinse.  I use Tide to the 1-2 line depending on the number of diapers/how much poop.  I've only been doing this for 3 months but so far the only issue I've had is ammonia buildup in our overnight fitteds which I think is a common problem since it is harder to get the nooks and crannies of the fitteds clean.  Those I soak in hot water and sometimes add a touch of cleaning vinegar to the soak.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going assume by sediment you mean you have hard water. You'll need to use hard water treatment or something with built in water softeners like tide.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know that we have much sediment in our water but it is on the hard side.  I tried making my own detergent but it just wasn't getting the diapers clean so I just went to Tide.  I have an HE FL. I set it for a Pre Wash (no detergent), Normal wash with Hot/Cold and High Soil setting, Extra Rinse.  I use Tide to the 1-2 line depending on the number of diapers/how much poop.  I've only been doing this for 3 months but so far the only issue I've had is ammonia buildup in our overnight fitteds which I think is a common problem since it is harder to get the nooks and crannies of the fitteds clean.  Those I soak in hot water and sometimes add a touch of cleaning vinegar to the soak.
    Stop adding vinegar. It will make your issue worse if you have hard water.

This
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• @Chickypoo2468 does your filter not filter it all out?  We have an inline filter before the pressure tank.  Like I said we don't have much sediment but it does filter out some of the hard water minerals.
  • We have hard water and a lot of iron build up plus some rocky stuff sometimes. Our filter gets most of the rocky stuff but when it rains it seems to get through more.

Tide liquid or powder?

Thanks everyone!
    Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• CeCe8579CeCe8579 member
    edited March 2014
    Okay, thanks :-)
    Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• Also, if you do have a filter it would help to change it often or get a washable/reusable one and wash it often.  The only downside is that those darn things are expensive.
  • I just attributed the grit in the dishwasher to a crappy dishwasher that doesn't drain well.  I don't get grit in the wash machine or out of the faucets even if I take the screen off.  Who knows though.
  • jcwinsto said:

I just attributed the grit in the dishwasher to a crappy dishwasher that doesn't drain well.  I don't get grit in the wash machine or out of the faucets even if I take the screen off.  Who knows though.

Our dishwasher is horrible. We don't use it often which is a pain.
    Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• We have well water, and so far using just the Tide has been working great for us. We also change our filter often, which is beside our water pump in our pump house. We change it every few months because it gets a ton of build up in it.

• My husband changes our every 3 months but I think he might need to change it more.
    Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• Ours is in the well house. Look for a container type thing between where the pipes come out of the ground and go in to the big pressure tank. The top should screw off or the whole bottom container should unscrew.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"