Cloth Diapering

Cloth Diapering: Chafing

My son is chafing right in his but crack due to moisture. Besides changing him more often what can I do? I don't want to use baby powder because it is bad for him.

Re: Cloth Diapering: Chafing

• You might try coconut oil... Think of it as a lubricant
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• How do you know he's chaffing bc of moisture?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, try coconut oil.  Also, you should be changing every 2-3 hours.  Even if you use disposables, you should change that often. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Lanolin is a good moisture protectant.
  • Or moisture barrier. That's a better word.
  • Make sure he is dry before you put on whatever lubricant/moisture barrier you are using.

I laminated a few of DS's birthday cards and keep them by the changing table. He likes to look at the cards and chew on them, and they make good fans.
  • Why do you say that baby powder is bad for him? Is he sensitive to corn?

• Make sure you pat is crack dry after you change him.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had heard that since baby powder is now mostly corn starch based, it wasn't as big of a deal to use it...especially if you don't aim it at their head. But yeah, I wouldn't use it all the time.

• You're not supposed to use baby powder bc it can cause respiratory issues

Oh good grief!! Seriously?!? The number of things you're not supposed to do just keeps growing. Not that I use it that often but it's not going to stop me from using it when there is a reason to.

Anyways, OP, chafing? Lubricate!
  • you can use powder if you don't "shake" it on the baby. no respiratory issues that way!
  • Well I'm certainly not making a dust cloud when I do use it. ;) I just thought that was common sense.  I know that breathing in baby powder bothers me so it would bother baby too.  I just kind of tip it up while holding it really close to the diaper area and it just falls out.  I've really only used it a couple times because i just don't have a reason to use it more often. 
  • Good idea. I just had a bunch of baby powder gifted to me so I was using it.  It is actually the fragrance free stuff though.  Gotta love baby showers.  What do you put it in to use it?  Just dip it out of the original container or put it in some sort of shaker?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"