TTC After a Loss
Options

need advice (pg and living child mentioned)

Some of you know my recent situation with my SIL (my husband's sister) but if you don't know here is the short version.  At her son's first birthday party she dropped the bomb that she is pg AGAIN.  It stunned me and DH so needless to say we weren't that supportive.  Last week I got a text from her telling me she will no longer be treated that way and she won't do my hair anymore, and wah wah wah.  She made the whole thing about herself and didn't care that it hurt our feelings.  We told her we would have liked to have been told when the parents found out so we could have prepared ourselves for the party but she didn't see how that would make a difference.

I'm angry because nobody in that family cares for my feelings or those of my DH,  The world revolves around her and if I had said those things to her, you can believe it would have hit the fan.  On top of that my DH wants me to get over it and quit causing problems. He blames her for being insensitive but he also blames me for adding fuel to the fire.  I know I do, it is just hard when she rubs my face in it all the time.  We had a heated discussion last week and I know we grieve differently but I want someone to stand up to her and tel her she is being a B***h. 

So my questions are 1)  Have you ever dealt with a person so absorbed in themselves that they just don't care and how did you deal with it? (ps we work together) 2) Any suggestions on gently urging my DH to stand up for me or even just stand with me? 
BFP 11/2012: EDD 7/19/2013: MC 12/17/12
imageimage

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: need advice (pg and living child mentioned)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ******warning pregnancy and children mentioned below*******

I have a lot of thoughts on this subject because I went through something very similar with my identical twin sister.  I'm going to spare you the long story but basically my sister has 3 children that she can barely afford and my parents just saved her and her husband from having to file from bankruptcy last spring.  Fast forward to me moving to a new state and city over the summer to be closer to my sister and have the support from family close by that I've never had before.  I had a miscarriage in August and ended up needing a D&C in September.  She was just horrible about the whole thing, brushed it off, told me I would get pregnant again, "my friend______ didn't act this why when she had a miscarriage.  Was basically just a complete insensitive biatch.  Well it turns out the reason why she wanted me to get over it so quickly was because she bullied her husband into having a 4th child even though they can't afford it and she wanted me to be perfectly over my miscarriage so I could be happy for her.  She announced right before xmas and ruined my holiday and the next 2 months.  I worked very closely with a grief/infertility therapist to help me get through and it's 3/30 and I finally feel like I've made some progress.  My sister turned everything about HER.  My reaction to her was so cruel to her, I should be happy for her, she even stooped so low to say that my behavior made her want to abort her child (she just said that to guilt me).  

Here is the bottom line.  You cannot control what other people do or how they go about doing it.  I highly recommend speaking to a professional who can give you tips and techniques on how to manage your anger and grief.  Whats started to happen in your situation is that people are turning on you because of your pain and although it isn't right you don't want to end up being the one dealing with your losses AND have everyone against you.  

My therapist recommended distance and a "kill her with kindness" approach where I was able to protect myself and keep her happy which in turn made her THINK I was happy for her and she stopped attacking me via text messages and through other family members.  It has been the toughest time of my life but each day it gets easier.  She claims that she loves me more than anything in the world but someone who does wouldn't have treated me like that.  I grieve for the babies that I've lost and for my lost relationship with my identical twin.  

It's never easy but she is your family and you are kind of stuck with her, try to find a way to protect yourself and to make the rest of the family think you are making peace.

imageimageimage
    My FF Chart:
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/490dd7
    TTC #3 since June 2013
    BFP #1 7/21/2013--EDD 3/30/14--D&C 9/24/13
    BFP #2 1/28/14--MC 2/7/14

IUI #1 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #2 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #3 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IVF #1, Stimmed for 12 days, ER 8/22/14, 9 retrieved, 7M, 7F!!  Freeze all due to fluid in uterus.
    FET end of October 2014 cancelled due to fluid in uterus due to possible c-scar defect
    Surgery scheduled 12/12/14 to fix possible isthmocele
    3/26/15 transferred one 8 cell grade 4 embryo and one 6 cell grade 3 embryo = slow rising betas for 2+ weeks = ectopic MTX shot 4/29/15
    Repeat c-scar surgery June 2015
    2nd and last IVF cycle August 2015, stimmed for 12 days, 2 egg retrieved, both mature and both fertilized.  Transferred both 8-cell embryos on Day 3, beta 9/5/15 = BFFN
    MOVING TO ADOPTION!  

• Options
    Im sorry for your loss. A similar situation happened with DH's family before we were married. His sister and sil had a huge fight over announcing when the other was still grieving. It turned into months of fighting and eventually 2-3 years of the family having no contact with DH's brother and sil and their family. I don't doubt that their are hurt feelings but do you want this to go that far? I'm not saying it will but it could. Sometimes you just have to say your peace and then move on. Also I think it would be better for your H to address his family if both of you are experiencing that same issues. If it's just you than you should say something.
  • Options
    First I usually only post on the weekends because that is when I have a little bit of time when work is slow to post.  I'm sorry that it isn't as often as it should be.  Also, thanks for the advice.  I don't think anyone is being mean and I'm certainly not taking it that way.  Thanks for being honest and trying to help.  Sometimes we need to hear things that seem harsh but are honest.  I appreciate all the input.  I think I will be calling my therapist this week to talk to her about it and get suggestions.  For the time being I think I will just keep my distance from her so I don't say anything too bad.  I have a hard time with her b/c she has done stuff like this for the entire 11 years I have been with my husband.  I know I can't make her stop and I've talked to her about it and she won't stop.  It's frustrating and hurtful.  But you all are right.  I will move on and close this door.
    BFP 11/2012: EDD 7/19/2013: MC 12/17/12
    imageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"