January 2013 Moms

What are you feeding your kiddos?

So I think I am behind here with feeding my DD finger foods cause I am afraid she will choke with only her 8 front teeth. But she is becoming more independent and wanting to feed herself. So its time to start this. I need healthy ideas for what to give her. I am not the best cook, but I am willing to try anything you guys throw my way. Right now she does chicken, spaghetti, eggs, soft veggies, yogurt, cheese, mac and cheese. And any ideas on how to keep her from spitting out her veggies would be great too. Thanks ladies :)
Married My Best Friend 5/21/2010
Madison Paige arrived 1/8/2013

Re: What are you feeding your kiddos?

• Wow! That is a good list! Thank you so much! We are going to do grill cheese for lunch today!

• For those who don't like veggies, try giving them drained veggie or minestrone soup.  My girls love it, but will often refuse when I give veggies another way.  I think it helps that the veggies are marinated in the soup, giving them flavor and making them soft.
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD refuses veggies so im no help there. Like others have said when she feels like eeating she eats whatever we are having.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD used to eat tons of veggies but now only smears them smothered in cheese lol, but she will eat ANY fruit. She was eating an apple off the core yesterday. Her absolute favorite is lasagna. I've not seen a 1 yr old eat it like she does. Next time I make it I'm going to hide some spinach and carrots in it. Black beans are always a good hit too. Soups. Grilled cheese. Veggie Mac n cheese. Meatballs. She loves a quesadilla. We make little cake pop muffins and she loves those. Smokey links. Just to name a few. She really eats a lot.

TTC for 1.5 years with a crappy RE. 12 cycles with clomid (11 too many)
    New RE, 3 failed IUI's moving to IVF with ICSI
    IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Induced week 39 due to severe GD
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

TTC #2 2 failed IUI's moving on to FET 3/2014
    ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker          

• My guy only has 2 teeth (we are working on his top teeth right now) and he eats everything we do. Hard veggies and fruits get steamed. But there is nothing he won't eat (well besides broccoli). He loves pasta and peanut butter sandwiches and ever kind of fruit out there.

• My DS is OBSESSED with quiche. Like, he runs to the fridge multiple times a day saying "eesh! eesh!"

The recipe I use:
    4 eggs
    2 cups WCM
    1.5 cups shredded cheese
    1/2 cup chopped onion sauteed in 1 Tsp butter
    Other chopped veggies (I always do at least a cup of chopped spinach, and sometimes add precooked broccoli, zucchini, peppers, mushrooms...)

Mix all ingredients together. Put into muffin tins prepped with nonstick spray (makes 12). Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then 300 degrees for 30-40 more minutes, or until edges are puffed and starting to brown.

Seriously, he lives for these things.
  • DD will also eat anything we do and she has 4 teeth. The only thing she will not eat (and actually gags if I give them to her) is mashed potatoes. She will eat any fruit, loves peas and most veggies. She loves pasta and will stuff herself full of lasagna. She also loves pb&j sandwiches. I can't get too creative at the moment. DD is working on getting 8 teeth and doesn't want to chew too much at the moment. So back to purees we go.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• DS only has 6 teeth. We give him whatever we are eating. Today he stole my bagel and took a bite before I noticed. It surprises me how well he can chew without any molars.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• I will add that Norah loves refried beans on taco night. Just beware of the bean diaper :)
    PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 11/6/13 - EDD 7/14/14 - blighted ovum discovered @ 7w - natural m/c @ 10w3d

BFP #3 5/25/14 - EDD 2/1/15 - Hoping this is our 2nd little owl Lilypie Maternity tickers

A/S findings: Baby is a girl! EIF found on heart :( but maternit21 came back neg for chromosome disorders!!

• We have 5 teeth here and I serve DD everything.  She's been going to town on steak and chicken since before she had teeth, those gums are powerful!
  • Well, last night he had watermelon and grapes for dinner…
    We offered spaghetti with meat sauce, but he refused to eat that.  I refuse to make an additional meal, so he either eats what is offered or he waits until the next meal or snack time.  
    We have always just offered whatever we are having.

Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • DD only has 5 teeth but she's been great with solids for a long time, we don't do purees anymore. DD is a great eater though, she loves food that has flavor or is covered in cheese! 

Don't worry too much, as long as the food is soft teeth don't matter too much.
  • b0710 said:
    My little guy only has 4 teeth and he eats everything that we eat at dinner.  I couldn't even come up with a list.  I realize we are very lucky (DS1 was nothing like this...so I get it).  I would not worry about the choking issue, just let LO try it.  I do cut up meat into smaller pieces, but he still has no problem with it.  He's also a huge fan of fish and seafood.  He will eat veggies on their own sometimes, but will always eat them in soups, casseroles, etc.
    This is like our LO.  We've been lucky that she'll eat just about anything.  We just need to be careful about how much salt we use when cooking.  

In terms of making veggies more appealing, DD goes crazy for them if you cook them in a chicken broth and then just strain them out whole. Much more flavorful than just steaming.

• she eats what we eat, except choking hazards like nuts.

recently she's starting to get picky and only wants fruit and crackers, but I still give her what we are having, even if it ends up on the floor.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Jacey has really been eating better lately. She loves Mac and cheese, really any pasta and any cheese. She loves yogurt, applesauce, bananas, toast, loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Sandwich meat. Eggs she eats whatever we eat sometimes the dog eats more of her dinner than she does. She doesnt like vegetables right now but I could easily live off veggies so im hopeful she will enjoy them eventually. Also she loves lots of flavor and spices. If its bland she doesnt enjoy it.

• I serve DS everything we eat in the hopes that he will get a broader appreciation for food. Right now the things he will eat include:

Apple pancakes (no syrup)
    quesadillas
    muffins
    chicken nuggets
    nutrigrain bars
    whole wheat figgy bars from naturbox
    grapes
    strawberries
    tangerines
    apple
    pasta with red sauce (sometimes, and i sneak butternut squash puree into it to make it healthier)
    turkey meatballs

That's it right now, i have to sneak his veggies to him or he has a cow. He is so picky i am at a loss. Tonight i gave him eggs with cheese, he tried them, spit them out, threw them on the floor, and started yelling. Toddlerdom is awesome...

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• So I have tried a few things everyone has suggested. She LOVES eggs, and likes mac and cheese, grilled cheese, and pasta, chicken nuggets. I am still having a battle with veggies. Oh well, Im just happy she is eating more variety :) Thanks ladies, you all have been a big help

• Kendall gets anything and everything we eat - she has since 6 months.
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I see some of you are giving strawberries and peanut butter to your kids. How do you know if they will have a reaction to it or not? Hubs and I are not allergic to anything food related, so I guess DD wont be...I keep putting those 2 foods off on her trying. 

• I just gave it and had benadryl on hand just in case. We have no family alleries and luckily the only thing DD seems to have a slight reaction to is shrimp she turned really red and hot. I dont eat seafood and honestly I dont think shes allergic to anything thus far.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"