Cloth Diapering

Spraying Pee diapers?

I feel like this is a total newb question but do you guys also spray your pee diapers? I was watching a review of a wet bag and the reviewer mentioned she has a wetbag for pee diapers in the nursery and one for poop diapers (which need to be sprayed or plopped  etc) in the bathroom.

I guess it would make sense if you don't but I was thinking all should be sprayed to try and help at least get some of the pee out. Maybe it's not necessary and just adds extra work.

Just wondering what you ladies do!

Re: Spraying Pee diapers?

• It just depends. If you're having ammonia problems spraying is a good idea. Otherwise I don't bother.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • that's what your prewash/rinse is before you use detergent…to rinse all the pee

though I know a lot of mamas with toddlers will soak/rinse the ON diapers to help with the stinkies
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don''t spray normal pee diapers. I soak overnight diapers that have 10 hours of pee in them, though. You also want to be sure to do a rinse cycle before adding detergent and doing your wash cycle. That's when most if the excess pee will be taken care of.
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• I don't but I also haven't gotten to the stinky toddler pee stage.  I will probably soak in a bucket vs. spraying if I need to just because spraying is no fun.
    I thought toddler pee started when they were toddlers?

• Mandmeesh said:
    I don't but I also haven't gotten to the stinky toddler pee stage.  I will probably soak in a bucket vs. spraying if I need to just because spraying is no fun.
    Well yea lol
    oh. awful reading fail.  I thought you wrote that you were at that stage. 

sorry. lol

• TJ1979TJ1979 member
    edited March 2014

Mandmeesh said:

I don't but I also haven't gotten to the stinky toddler pee stage.  I will probably soak in a bucket vs. spraying if I need to just because spraying is no fun.

Well yea lol

Incorrect
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • mmm50mmm50 member
    I rinse our overnight diapers in warm water in the morning.  His overnight diaper is the only one that kinda smells like pee.  The rest of the day there isn't really enough to make them stinky.  
  • N_KozN_Koz member
    I don't spray pee diapers and that includes the 12 hour overnight soaking wet one. I haven't had any stink problems

image   Visit The Nest!   Visit The Nest!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary 
  • abby8279abby8279 member
    edited March 2014
    I spray and wring out ALL of my prefolds.  We have a HE FL and it helps get them clean if I take that extra step to get most of the urine out of them right away.

ETA- I soak my ONs too.
  • Thread hijack! I might have to start doing this. DD has really stinky pee even though she is EBF. Have any of you ladies run into LOs with stinky pee?
    Anniversary
  • Thread hijack! I might have to start doing this. DD has really stinky pee even though she is EBF. Have any of you ladies run into LOs with stinky pee?
    Just stinky toddler pee.
    Are you certain it's pee that you are smelling, and not a buildup problem? What kind of stink is it?
  • We probably clicked post at the same time. My posts just have to travel farther.
  • Thanks everyone. I'll probably still wind up with a wetbag in the nursery and one in the bathroom just in case but I know now I'll at least start out without spraying pee dipes and see how that goes. 

You probably have stinky diapers rather than stinky pee.

Thread hijack! I might have to start doing this. DD has really stinky pee even though she is EBF. Have any of you ladies run into LOs with stinky pee?
    Are you certain it's pee that you are smelling, and not a buildup problem? What kind of stink is it?

Sorry I'm getting back to this so late! No it's not stinky diapers. I use prefolds and and covers and they smell nice and clean when I'm folding them. My mom describes it as "asparagus pee", it's hard to describe, it's different than just straight ammonia pee (I think). DD is only 4 months old and EBF. I have no idea if it's something I'm eating or not. She has a pedi appt. this week so I will ask. I was just curious if anyone else had had a similar experience.
    Anniversary
  • I don't know about asparagus pee but if it stinks even a little it might be start of barnyard smell. Not getting clean enough. I had that problem. My dipes would come out clean then she'd pee and it was smelly. It gotbad after a while. EvEventually you'll smell the barnyard not just a stinky pee. It doesn't matter if she's ebf or not.

And for all y'all who think spraying pee is gonna do you any good....you're not. If you want to get rid of pee (which is why we wash every other day or so) soak in a bucket or the toilet or just do a warm prewash rinse in the wash. I don't understand why you're making cding so difficult.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Even if your diapers smell fine out of the wash, they might still be your problem. I'd start with upping your detergent a bit to make sure your diapers are getting completely clean.
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• Like PPs said, sometimes the smell doesn't occur until the pee hits it, and the moisture reactivates the ammonia crystals, or the funk.
    However, smelly pee could be indicative of a UTI or other infection.  So definitely mention it to the doc just in case.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"