Stay at Home Moms
Options

Concussion?

Has anyone here had a concussion?  How long did it take you to start feeling better?

I had a little accident Thursday afternoon.. um... involving some Eminem VERY loudly in my ear/headphones, some crazy dancing.. and a very large metal duct LOW down hanging from ceiling that I might have crashed into with my head.  It knocked me flat to the ground, but not out.  I felt really dizzy, and queasy.. but brushed it off because it passed, so I was assumed it was force of impact.

Went about my day Friday and today, and got to grocery store.. the lights hurt my head, the noise hurt my head... when I went down the spice aisle and looked at the bottles, they all blurred and looked the same.  I had to lean on my cart for balance.  When I started to slur and stutter all my words, I called my doctor. UGH!

I spent 2 hours in the ER today.. all checked out, I just have a concussion. My first one, so I didn't really know what I was looking for or doing.  But anyway, I'm allllll good.. I just feel like SHIT.  Like dizzy, jittery.  I was telling the ER doctor it felt like I had 56 cups of coffee today.   He said this could last a few days, or weeks.. or up to a month. LORD HELP ME if this junk lasts a month.  

If you've had a concussion, how long did it last?

(you can laugh at me now, it's OK.  After the fact, I'm sorta laughing at how it happened too.  And I will never dance again).
E+C
(+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
TTC

Re: Concussion?

• Options
    I'm so sorry! Glad you weren't hurt too bad.

After my car accident I had one. But I also had a lot of other stuff going on and I felt shitty for a couple weeks. But DH said he's had them & felt better in 3-4 days. He's had a lot. :(
  • Options
    I never had one but DD did. The first 48 hours were the worst, throwing up--not wanting to do anything, eat, dizzy, etc. After the 48 hours past, she seemed back to her normal self.
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The paper he gave me says "post concussion syndrome"

I googled that phrase and Mayo Clinic says:

"In most people, post-concussion syndrome symptoms occur within the first seven to 10 days and go away within three months, though they can persist for a year or more. Post-concussion syndrome treatments are aimed at easing specific symptoms."

Oh helllllllllll no.  Dude, it's seriously scary when you slur words and stutter. And feel like you just stepped off a cruise boat (you know that feeling?) and your world is tipping.  My Doctor didn't say that long, so it better not be.
    E+C
    TTC
  • Options
    The ER doctor says .. "I'm trying to envision this scenario so I can play it in my head and see how exactly you hit this duct, but I'm struggling.."   meanwhile, I was crying (did you know a concussion can make you super emotional and irritable? he told me that after I cried, haha!).  Oh man. 
    E+C
    TTC
  • Options
    Dangit Eminem....nothing but trouble jk ;)

I hope you feel better soon, Chapter.... that sounds awful!!
  • Options
    Take it as a sign you're too old for Eminem. :P

Seriously though, sorry you're going through it!

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
    BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
    June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
    Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
    Due 12/29/2012
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your dancing fail!

I was knocked out cold in a car accident, and was hospitalized for about a week afterwards. I had a few broken bones and extreme whiplash, and am not sure if it was the pain killers I was on or post concussion syndrome, but I was out of it for at least 3 weeks after the date of the accident.

I remember the Doc explaining a concussion to me as a brain bruise. Sounds horrifying, but it could be much worse!

Hope you feel better soon.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    This isn't probably what you want to hear, but we needed to do sensory deprivation for two weeks with ds post concussion when he started getting bad headaches. Keep the house dark and no tv or electronics. It may help your symptoms pass quicker if you do that. Hope you feel better soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lurker, but wanted to chime in that it could take a while. I passed out during my glucose test while I was walking to tell the person I didn't feel well- hit the back of my head on the ground pretty hard. I threw up later that day, and had a terrible headache. The back of my head was tender for a few months and I just felt off for at least a few months. I still get vertigo which causes dizziness and nausea and my daughter is 18 months. 
    Anyhoo, my whole point was not to be too worried if it takes a while. My dr. told me sometimes it takes a while to heal depending on how hard and where you hit.
  • Options
    I'm NEVER too old for Eminem :)

Thanks guys.  The symptoms are off and on. Feeling good right now, but earlier I was shaking and it was hard to get my words out, and I was dropping junk. Such a scary feeling!  They pass, then come back, pass.. which doctor said is normal.  Hopefully my symptoms are just a few weeks, verses many months.. ugh.
    E+C
    TTC
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"