May 2014 Moms

Bottle warmer for playtex drop ins?

I've searched and searched and have seen so many differing answers. I plan on keeping a pitcher of pre mixed formula in the refrigerator and want a quick way to heat the bottles. I've heard steam ones are safe for the liners... But I've also heard they're not... Any advice?

Re: Bottle warmer for playtex drop ins?

• The steam ones work with the drop-ins, but not only do they heat up super fast in there so heat for half the time, they sometimes give off a gross plastic smell if you heat for too long. 
    Nikolas Knight 
    Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
    Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
    One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter
  • Why do you plan on keeping a pitcher of pre-made formula in your fridge? You know it only keeps for so long after opening/mixing, even when refrigerated.
    imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Warming bottles of formula is way more work than just mixing bottles as you need them. I used a bottle warmer because I exclusively pumped and I didn't always have fresh milk ready for DD when she was ready to eat. Sometimes waiting the two minutes for the bottle to warm up felt like an eternity when she was hungry and fussing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nora - 10.26.12

Henry - 5.9.14

• kat8805kat8805 member
    edited March 2014
    We always just bought the gallons of "baby water" and would feed at room temp. It really isn't that complicated. Takes longer to warm from cold than to just mix it up as you go.

Edit cause mah words went on vacation!!!
    imageimageimage

• I second serving at room temp.  You can even prefill bottles with water and just add the formula as needed (or vice versa).  But really, it doesn't take that long to make a bottle.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• We used a formula pitcher because it mixed smoother without bubbles, and then would pour into bottles after it was made (for the amount she drinks in a day). When she was itty bitty, we would just run under warm water for a few seconds to take the chill off. Then, we just gave it to her cold. Since she was used to cold bottles, she liked cold bottles. Not as complicated as you're making any of it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• CamrynnsMommyCamrynnsMommy member
    edited March 2014
    Just my two cents, but I think you're setting yourself up for failure if you heat bottles.

It's likely that while you're out and about you won't have the luxury of heating a bottle. I made the mistake of heating DD1s bottles and she refused to eat cold/room temp bottles when we were away from the house.

Again, just my experience, not every baby is this way.

ETA: basically everything @ABColeslaw‌ said.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimage

• Our daycare uses the crock pot method.  My DD1 always preferred her bottles warmer than average.  I'm assuming it was from my breast milk being warner.  Once we switched to formula, they continued with the crock pot for a while but eventually she took it room temperature like others have suggested.  But honestly, when they are little and screaming, you just want to give it to them however they'll take it.  And if warming it up is what needs to happen, then I'm all for it!  The crock pot was simple for them and worked well.  You just want to make sure the water is not too hot in there.  The liners heat up fast.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We had two steam warmers -- a cheap Munchkin one and a fancy FirstYears nursery system -- and both melted and warped Drop-Ins holders.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• We use glass and stainless steel bottles.  So the only time coldness was an issue as at night when I would put water in a few bottles and bring them upstairs with me to just plop formula in bedside so I wouldn't have to go down stairs and what not.  The glass would make the water cold as it sat.  However, during the day we used nursery water and kept it on the counter as other posters have mentioned.  Room temp is where it is at. 

My personal stance on this is that you can make babies as high maintenance as you want to.  Put them down is bird chirping silence for a nap everytime, that is the only way they will be able to sleep, keep to a rigid schedule, you'll be screwed on the days you need to deviate from said schedule, warm up bottles every single time...then you're stuck doing it and are going to hate being out and about with your baby. 

I say try at room temp and then if you end up with a picky baby who likes it warm, then worry about the bottle warmer.  I feel like too many people are getting all worried about the details of every little thing.  Half of the things people are stressing about aren't even things we actually need to take care of a baby. 

Babies can cost a million dollars if you buy into the "I need this this this this this this this and this in order to bring home my baby"  In fact you need a way to feed, a way to collect poop, a way to keep them warm, and a place for them to sleep"  That is it. 

EVERYTHING she said. My mother gave me the same advice. 

Making the decision to have a child - it is momentous. 
    It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. - Elizabeth Stone
  • I am just now seeing the responses. Of course I am thankful for the advice. I've been checking it daily and hadn't seen anything...stupid mobile. Room temp baby sounds nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"