LGBT Parenting
Options

Struggling Today (contains another's pregnancy and the choices she has thought of)

After a home visit today I was scrolling through FB. I came across the wife of one of C's cousins and noticed an ultra sound pic as her profile picture. We aren't friends on FB, nor do we have a whole lot to do with this particular family. Naturally I was curious so I went to her page, which is all public.

As it turns out, she is about 14 weeks pregnant. I think she is about 21/22 and already has a 16 month old. I'm not sure that she graduated from HS nor got her GED. Her husband is one of a few kids who all live in what most of us consider to be a very dysfunctional home. CPS has been involved at one point and their parenting abilities are minimal at best it seems.

As I was scrolling through her page, there was a post that thanked everyone who encouraged her to keep the baby and not "do away with it". This has sent me into a bit of a tailspin today. I sat in my car for a bit because I was crying so hard and was so angry.

I know everyone has their own journey in life. I know life is rarely, if ever, "fair". I know I have much to be thankful for, and I am, every day.

For this family, there will now be four children amongst two of the kids. One of the girls, who is about 19/20, just had her second. She has neither of them.

The thought of someone willingly doing away with such a miracle enrages me - unless of course there are health complications, etc. I know that it is a very personal
choice. C and I would do anything to have a baby. We got so close and then it didn't stay. Who knows if we will get that close again. Maybe we aren't meant to have biological children and maybe we are. We have no idea what lies ahead of us.

I feel like I was slapped in the face by the universe in a way. I know that is taking it much to personally, but for today, that is how I'm feeling. I sent her a message on FB and asked her to be careful what she says because of how it might impact others. I told her that if she ever didn't want to raise a child, adoption is always an option. I told her that C and I have been trying and that there are many couples who cannot have children who would welcome one into their homes and lives. I also told her that if she didn't want more children, and if she isn't familiar with birth control options, that I could discuss them with her and help her find free/affordable services if money was a concern. Her response was to say that she is keeping this one and that she understood what I meant.

I wish people wouldn't take getting pregnant for granted. I wish so many would realize what a true miracle it is.

Tomorrow is a new day. With any luck, C and I will be on the road to getting things started for our next IUI within this next week.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

Re: Struggling Today (contains another's pregnancy and the choices she has thought of)

• Options
    I'm sorry you are having a rough day.  :( 

Our TTC journey had ups and downs (many of them).  It's hard sometimes to see the world around us flaunting the thing we covet the most (in this case growing our families).  For me it was especially hard at times to see some couple getting pregnant with seemingly little or no effort, or even care.  I realize there are many different families out there, it's hard not to judge, and perhaps sometimes a little judgement is appropriate.  ;-)  I will say for me the more I focused on our families journey the easier it was.  It really helped having this forum and other resources to share the peculiarities of TTC as an LGBT couple.  Frankly, I don't know what I would have done without it.  
    I hope the next steps in your and C's journey unfold soon, and that you get your BFP and take home baby soon.  

P.S. I think it's good to share your feelings and thoughts - thanks for trusting us with them.
  • Options
    @Jazibel‌ - Thank you. Thank you for normalizing what I'm feeling. I also don't know what I would do without the support of this board. It has helped immensely and I'm so thankful for it. It is great to know that there are others who just get it.

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

****All Welcome!****

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so sorry you've had a rough day.  The world feels cruel sometimes.  I've been there; know that.  And it does get better in one way or the other, either because you get pregnant or because you adopt an amazing child or because you just find another way to make peace with whatever your situation is.  You would probably always be irritated with people like C's cousin -- anyone would be -- but it won't hurt as much.  In the meantime, you have more tries in you and I am hopeful that one of them will bring you the baby you are dreaming of!
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @StacyLH24 That's a tough thing to see during a time like this. I know when I saw my wife's unmarried cousin announce her pregnancy on Facebook that I had some ugly thoughts that I'm not proud of. Pregnancy jealousy is hard to deal with, especially when you know you could provide such a better home for a baby than they could. I hope you get your sticky BFP soon.

Me: 28 DW: 28

Together since 5/30/02. Married since 8/31/08

IUI#1 - 12/13/13 = BFN

IUI#2 - 1/22/14 = BFN

IUI#3 - 2/21/14 = BFN

IUI#4 - 3/23/14

• Options
    I hear ya... I don't even think jealousy is the word for it... It's like a true manifestation of the injustice of the whole system.
    We try to stay in our journey... But there a great many people who have been pregnant and had babies since we have been trying, and we still don't have a light at the end of the tunnel... Everytime I see one of those baby getting older, it is a reminder of our recurrent failures to build our family.

But do know this... There is something special about this journey. We will never take our little ones for granted. We will know forever that they were something we fought for, and cried for and sacrificed for. It's not a lot of comfort, but somedays it's all that gets me through.

Sending healing vibes your way! Deep breaths and just keep going, because in the end that is our only choice. Keep us updated on how you are feeling. We are here for you.

Baby Hayden Frances born 12/20/14 at 11:11 a.m...  Our perfect little miracle.  Here's how we got here:

My lovely wife:

5 IUI's January 2013-June 2013- 3 Cycles with Clomid- BFN

Myself: Genderqueer guy who hopped in the driver's seat of the baby making train

IUI #6- 7/23- Monitored and Trigger on Day 12, with one 16mm follicle and one 18mm follicle- BFN

IUI #7- 8/21- Not monitored, 50mg Clomid- BFN

September and October: Missed Cycles due to vacation and a Half Marathon

IUI #8- Monitored and triggered on day 15, with one 23x18mm follicle- BFN on 11/19/2013

December:  Moved onto to see an RE to make a good plan.

IUI #9- 1/1/2014 Natural Cycle, BFP on 1/15/2014,  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

IUI #10 3/21/2014- Natural Cycle- BFP on 4/1/2014 (please don't be an April Fools.  Beta #1 13dpiui- 48, Beta #2 16dpiui- 416, Beta #3 1018...

1st Ultrasound- 4/22/2014- 6w4d HB- 134!

Check out my Blog at: http://pregnantboithinksoutloud.blogspot.com/ 

• Options
    Thank you @ball.and.chain,
    @SweetPea0307‌ and @doodah1013‌.

@doodah1013‌ - You are correct, our little ones will never be taken for granted. We all can truly appreciate the miracle that this whole process results in.

***CP mentioned***

****All Welcome!****

• Options
    I'm sorry you had a rough day. It is such a tough position to be in - trying to support and understand other people's decisions when it comes to something so intensely intimate that you happen to want so badly. I had to remind myself many times that there was no point focusing on what was fair or trying to make sense out of why bad things happen to good people because it would really just drive me crazy.

You are entitled to have a bad day and I'm glad you have an outlet to share your feelings. There are so many people here rooting for you and C. Even if you can't see it yet, there is a light at the end of this tunnel.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    KH826KH826 member
    I am so sorry that you are struggling and that you are having to deal with this situation. It can be really hard. Just know that we are all cheering you on, and you can always rely on us here to listen and reassure you when you need it. That won't change the outside world and the pain and heartache that you are sometimes faced with along this difficult journey, but it can hopefully provide some comfort to know that you are not alone. Thinking of you, and hoping today is a better day. Hugs!

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options

I absolutely know how you feel, too.  I was pretty angry (and admittedly, jealous) when I found out my 2nd cousin's wife is pregnant with their fourth baby.  And it irked me when I found out a friend from high school - who can barely afford the baby she has now - is pregnant again.  Here we are, trying and trying, inducing superovulation and having a doctor squirt sperm directly into our uteruses, and yet no baby.  And then these women are just plain old having sex and boom, they get pregnant.

I realize our circumstances are different.  But still, it is irritating.  I definitely empathize with you, for what it's worth.  I hope you start to feel better about TTC.  I know how rough the road is.  I'm having a hard time keeping C's spirits up.  She's pretty depressed that I wanted to sit this cycle out (due to a stressful month at work) but really, I think it's for the best.  I really want this last shot to count.

• Options
    I think these feelings are totally normal and I'm right there with you. 

Currently I'm a little bitter (trying not to be, but you know) that there is zero fun for us in this process. We scramble calling Drs, and rearranging our schedules, and talking about it, or not talking about it so as not to stress ourselves out, and worry about how everything is going to get paid for, etc. No fun. No nice glass of wine and some sexy time will get us a baby. Just cold hard cash and fluorescent lights. 

Not to hijack your thread - my brother and his wife recently had a baby and they're pretty clueless on all fronts. I find the whole thing hard to watch.
  • Options
    @StacyLH24 -- I totally know the feeling.    Even though we have success now, I still totally have IF brain and still have some pretty intense feelings towards people who get pregnant easily and aren't able to recognize how hard it is for others.  

I had two cousins have babies this year, and I haven't yet met either baby.   I just couldn't do it while we were going through Infertility treatments, and I don't them as much with an apology.  

I think sometimes when we're struggling it's really hard to feel justified in our feelings.   I once saw a quote that said something along the lines of "1/5 couples experience Infertility, just appreciate the 4/5 couples that are thrilled to celebrate your pregnancy" (I'm sure the quote and the stat is wrong, but you get the jist).   That really made me feel better about recognizing that TTC is HARD, and stressful.  And when it doesn't go well it throws your whole life into imbalance and all your dreams in jeopardy.

Hopefully your day is better today *hugs* to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
    Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
    dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

• Options
    I feel this way ALL THE TIME. I know a great many people who pop up u/s pics like once a year. Its so hard to see their nonchalance about something that I would do a lot to be able to experience. I am a little more disheartened and emotional than my wife I guess but she helps me to understand that everyone is different and has their own path to walk. And something I have learned about all situations is that you can't compare yourself in any way to another person. Only you have walked your journey. Someone elses success or failure has no impact on your success or failure. Keep your head up, FX for a future BFP!!
  • Options
    @StacyLH24‌ I'm sorry you are going through this. It sucks SO much when pregnancy happens so easily and "taken for granted"ly. I do not mean to bring this around to me but about 2 months after my second miscarriage, I found out inadvertently through a friend that another (straight) friend of mine was aborting twins. This friend had chosen to not tell me she was pregnant in the first place as she knew my struggles and it was like a knife in my chest when I heard not only was she pregnant (with twins nonetheless!!) but having an abortion, like in the process of it at that moment. I cried quite a bit and was intensely angry for days but it did pass and I even confronted this friend about what she did and how I felt. I still don't feel right about that choice, but I respect her decision to make that choice.

I know you are feeling a range of negative emotions but just remember that you are in a better situation than C's cousin and wife. While it is never fair that some people can get pregnant so easily, it just makes our children that much more wanted, adored, cared for and never neglected. We can raise stronger, smarter, more wonderful children because every day we get of eventual motherhood (and you will eventually get there, whether bio children or not) is never taken for granted.

A & K, married 7/1/13.

After 10 months of ttc via medicated IUIs and two early losses, we finally got our boys- Perfect premie twins born 5/27/14.

• Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. When I was initially upset yesterday, part of me thought maybe I had no reason to be or that I shouldn't be. Though I wish none of us ever had to have those kinds of feelings, I am glad that we have a space to share them.

Today was a new day and I definitely am feeling better. I think focusing on our journey and keeping on moving forward will help me keep my mind on track.

***CP mentioned***

****All Welcome!****

• Options
    @maggiemay33‌ - I joke with C that it won't matter who is in the delivery room with us, everyone is welcome. At this point, I'm so used to being half naked in front of people that I really don't care. I also find it amazing at how little people really know about what it takes to get pregnant and how the whole process actually works. I have explained it all to women who have already had children and they look at me and wonder how we do it all. It is no different than what happened in their bodies. It's just that they weren't worried about all the timing and such.

@2momsinCA‌ - I cannot imagine what you must have felt that day. I was horrified just reading your post. You are correct though, our children will never be taken for granted.

***CP mentioned***

****All Welcome!****

• Options
    First I want to say that you feelings are always valid and justified.  I am glad that you have tried to change your perspective today and focus on your journey.  I know that it is hard, I went thru similar feelings when my sister told me she was pregnant, and was questioning keeping it or not.  I just had to keep telling myself her feelings and actions were not about me, they were about her and her journey.
    We are always here to support and lend a 'listening' ear.  Lots of positive thoughts being sent your way :-)
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Options
    This can be so hard and when people are not sensitive about their "reveal" of the information. I know I have struggled with this with a few people in our life (and some who are no longer in our lives). It can be so hard but just remember that everyone's journey is different and do what you need to do to take care of you. Hang in there!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• Options
    I'm sorry to hear this, I think most of us that have dreamed of having children whether we struggled or not to conceive would be a little pissed about this.My partner and I tried on and off for 1 yr to get pregnant and didn't so we decided to take a break .In that time my younger cousin got pregnant and her boyfriend demanded she get a abortion or he would leave her so she did and a few months later she got pregnant again.They talked about placing the baby with us but then decided to keep her with that being said a ex co worker of my partners had gotten his girlfriend pregnant and we ended up adopting the baby but our very first meeting with the birth mom who was 34 at the time told us she was thinking about tying her tubes but since she wasn't keeping this baby she wasn't going to do it.I wanted to slap her very badly.Only for the reason she had a little girl 13 yrs before and placed her and then had a little boy 7 yrs ago and had literally just left him with her father in Cali to come to the east coast to be with our daughter's father.Then she placed our daughter with us which don't get me wrong we are forever grateful for but just because you can have a child doesn't mean you should.So I completely understand anyone's frustration when people that shouldn't have kids do and they mistreat them and neglect them when so many people want children and can't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"