Breastfeeding

Sad about weaning!

My LO will be 1 on 4/13. He is EBF and I have decided to transition him to WCM after his 1st birthday, so that's when I plan on weaning him. I am sad inside about it, but know it's the right thing for myself. I know I can BF as long as I want, but I'm ready. I don't think my also will have a problem weaning either. He's not a baby that BF's all the time & he doesn't ask to nurse. How do I get over the sad feelings of being done?

Re: Sad about weaning!

• When I weaned my first one, I got over my sad feelings by realizing that we could still snuggle while i read him books to go to sleep. I also thought about how weaning would help me get pregnant with the next one... and I could nurse him or her!
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• RDK24RDK24 member
    My LO won't be 1 until this summer, and we'll probably wean or at least go down to wakeup/before bed nursings and I'm already feeling wistful about it! To cheer myself up, I'll think about how nice it will be to get out of the house for more than 4 hours at a time without having to find a place to pump or nurse.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS seemed sort of ambivalent about nursing at the one year mark. I quit pumping at work and he switched to WCM during the day. I continued to nurse him first thing in the morning and just before bed, but I remember thinking that our nursing days were probably done. By the time we started the weaning process around 18 months he was much more into nursing. I hadn't expected that because the first year of nursing him it felt like something I had to force.

It took about a month to cut out the last nursing session, and he started waking up in the middle of the night and asking to nurse, which I obliged. But he dropped that on his own, probably because my milk supply was gone. We still have lots of snuggle time, especially before bed, and occasionally in the middle of the night, and it's just a new phase in my relationship with him.

Congrats on making it a year!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"