Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Really struggling

I lost my baby this week. And it sucks. My husband and I had been trying for a second baby for four months and we were so excited to see a positive test. But almost from the beginning, there were signs that this pregnancy wasn't going to take. With my son, I was sick for the whole first trimester. With this baby, I was never nauseous. I rationalized this with the fact I was taking extra B6 and B12 for my tendinitis. Then my HCG levels came back lower than expected. But that could mean nothing. But we decided to do an ultrasound which showed a gestational sac but no heartbeat yet, as we were only six weeks along.

I tried to get on with my routine, taking my son to Mommy and Me, going to work, ect. We even gave the baby a name, Austin. Boy or girl. I also was telling friends and family that I was pregnant, something I didn't do until after the first trimester with my son. But the thought was always in the back of my mind, "Am I going to lose this baby?". I was constantly checking for blood every time I went to the bathroom. And then the Tuesday before last, I did.

I immediately called my midwife, who said it could be nothing and we were just going to have to wait and see. The bleeding got heavier and then there were clots. In my gut I knew what was happening, but we decided to do another ultrasound on Friday. It showed that the baby had not grown and there was no heartbeat. So, I just had to wait for my body to do what needed to be done.

I wanted to stay at home and avoid the hospital and a d&c. My midwife brought me black and blue cohosh, which I took every hour for five hours Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon, things really ramped up and I started bleeding very heavy. I decide to do what I did for a long time while I was in labor with my son and sit on the toilet. I also called my midwife who came and sat in the other room since I decided I needed to be by myself for awhile.

I had this horrible fear and anxiety that I would accidentally flush or throw away the placenta, so I fished every clot out and my midwife (who is also a very good friend of mine) inspected them. I really thought that things were going to be over with that night, but it all slowed down again. I thought about going to the hospital, and doing a d&c but since it was so late and my husband and I were so tired, we decided to go to bed. I had to set my alarm to go off every two hours so I could check to make sure I didn't start bleeding too much.

The next morning things still didn't pick up again, and my midwife suspected that the placenta had detached and was blocking my cervix. We made the decision to go to my OBGYN. That morning I had another clot pass, so I brought it in with me to have the doctor look at it. The doctor ended up being in surgery all day, and we saw one of his CNMs.

She decided to do an internal exam and my placenta was indeed blocking my cervix. She was able to pull it out without it coming apart and we took it home.

When my son was born, we planted his placenta under a rose bush at my moms house, and I wanted to do the same thing. We bought an orange tree and planted it and Austin in our backyard.

Through all of this, I'd been under such a black cloud. My heart felt literally broken and I would start sobbing at the drop of a hat. It was hard to look at infant pictures of my son, sometimes to even look at him because I would think that this baby I was losing would never be able to do the things that he is doing. Austin would never laugh, he'd/she'd never cry. He'd/she's never run around with his/her big brother.

But the act of burying the placenta and saying a prayer seemed to heal part of my broken heart. It's still so hard having someone ask me how the baby is doing and then having to explain that I miscarried. In the last week, two of my friends had their babies. While a part of me is so excited for them, another part is jealous and angry that it's not going to be me for even longer than I was expecting. That part of me wants to scream that it's not fair and pull the covers over my head and not come out.

But that's not how life works. I have a child to care for, and a husband who's hurting as well. I cleaned the house today for the first time in almost two weeks, my mom and mother-in-law had taken over that for me. We took our son to the zoo and the park this afternoon, and we had a lot of fun watching him run around looking at the animals. Life is moving on. It's getting a little easier every day.

For the most part, people have been very supportive and loving. Especially my mom and my husband. With the exception of my father- in-law who thought it would comfort me with an article on blighted ovums. He thought it would make me feel better if there was never a baby to begin with.

For now, I'm trying to take this one moment at a time and ride the wave of emotions that seems to swell at random times. I'm now finding comfort in my son and the fact that I'm young and we can try again in a few months. I would appreciate any advice that can be shared. I'm sorry that this is so long, but it's something that I needed to get out of my head so I can stop dwelling on it. Thank you for reading.

Re: Really struggling

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I think it's beautiful that you did something to celebrate Austin. I hope you find peace. This is a great board of supportive women who have helped me through some very rough days. We are hear for you! Hugs!

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. The thing that I have come to realize is that this is not something you get past, you learn to live with it. That is not to say it doesn't get easier but meant to comfort in some way because you won't forget an you will always be Austin's mom.

This board is a great place to give and receive support. Don't be afraid to post your feelings here because I can almost guarantee no matter how alone you feel or how irrational you think a feeling is more than one woman here can relate.

Give yourself time to grieve. hugs.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers        Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Oct Angel*BFP 1/25/14 * EDD 10/6/14 * US#1 2/26/14 *US#2 3/3/14 no heartbeat*d&c 3/12/14*

BFP 1/17/15 * EDD 9/30/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss and appreciate your story. I think it is beautiful that Austin lives on through your orange tree and in your heart.

I have a 3yo DS and have found it hard at times to be the mom he needs after the loss and agree that it gets better little by little. It is bittersweet, for sure.

I don't know how you feel about this, but it has brought me great comfort and progress to think about how my angel baby wouldn't want me to neglect/take for granted the blessings in my life because I'm sad he/she isn't here. I feel like my baby would want me to love my DS as I always have. Those thoughts have made it a little easier, but sometimes it is still hard.

(((Hugs)))

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. The only advice I can offer sounds like something you have ready started doing...distraction. I have a son also. The one thing that brought me out of the darkness a little was anticipation of doing fun things as a family. When we found out I was pregnant we wanted to save money. After the miscarriage DH took me aside and we sat down with the calendar and planned fun things for every weekend, Disneyland, the zoo, even just picnics in the park or projects on our home that were put on hold. Whenever I had a bad day/week I just countdown the days until our "Funday". It really has made a difference. And not only does it give me something to look forward to but it's a memory I am making with my son and that is priceless.

I hope you can find some way to ease your pain. It is truly the worst kind of pain, losing a child. Again, I am so so sorry. ((Hugs))
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"