Preemies

Reactions to Steroid Shots (pre-delivery)

MinaE01MinaE01 member
edited March 2014 in Preemies
After it was discovered that I was dilated 1 cm (at 33w), my OB ordered the course of  steroid shots, should baby decide to be like big brother and come early. I had the 2nd one last night. I'm noticing a hot, red rash on parts of my body (cheeks - mostly left cheek, breasts, tummy, hips). I'm not sure if this is a possible reaction to the steriods or something else. I did have my p17 shot Thursday, which I seemed to have an adverse reaction to - swelling, burning, raised about 3 cm around the injections. I've never had that before and I've had 15 previous shots. I also got the TDAP Thursday as well, so it could be that. I've had the TDAP several times in the past few years and have not had a reaction like this. I'm just trying to narrow it down!

Of course this is during a weekend, so the OB office is closed. I know I should probably call the OB on-call, but I've been bugging them a lot lately with everything that has been going on. I'm just trying to see if this is a common occurrence, or if a call is definitely warranted. TIA!

ETA: The rash isn't really that bad - just annoying. It's nothing that's causing me great discomfort.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Reactions to Steroid Shots (pre-delivery)

• I recall the injection site burning and being sore, but for me that was all. Reactions are common. As long as you don't have trouble breathing or anything I'm sure it's ok.
    TTC since June, 2011 with anovulatory PCOS, 1 blocked tube, and mild MFI
    3rd cycles clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
    4th cycles letrozole/Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 = BFP! Twins due 2/5/2014
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • ziggy903ziggy903 member
    edited March 2014
    I would call. Better to call and be told "yeah that's no big deal" than to have it be a real problem, you know?

• Loading the player...
  • Call them. Better safe than sorry.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • I would call.  I'm just one person, but the steroid shot was not that bad and after I felt great.  Took away a lot of pregnancy pain.  I'd probably request it again if it was optional.  I hope you aren't sick and that you get an answer.  Lots of illness going around right now among my students, so better to know.
  • I would call too. Better to be safe.

Beckett Rilee & Caitlyn Leigh born 9-21-13 @ 27w due to PPROM

• ziggy903ziggy903 member
    edited March 2014
    Also, don't be afraid to call and be "that patient". I'm sure many of the ladies here were that one- I know I was.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"