High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

High Blood Pressure while TTC

Hi Everyone!! 
I am new here, so this will probably be a longish post!

I was diagnosed with HBP back in November and my doctors had it under control... but now they are playing with different meds trying to find a pregnancy friendly one that works for me... I was on nifedipine 30mg but ended up with severe edema, and now they are trying amlodipine at 2.5mg... I did some digging and found that both of these drugs are a Class C... Has anyone else been on these prior to pregnancy? I heard that they can decrease intrauterine growth and that most women need to be induced early... 
I also have Raynaud's so the doctors want to keep me on a calcium channel blocker to help with flare ups... I am just nervous and with the potential of having a higher risk pregnancy anyways, I want to do everything possible to keep the baby safe and healthy... 

Thank you all so much for any info you can give me!

Re: High Blood Pressure while TTC

• Options
    I was/am on methyldopa for my high blood pressure. It seems to be doing the trick :)

Hope they find something that works for ya!
  • Options
    Im on nifedipine (Procardia) 10 mg to help deter any signs of preterm labor. Between that and my weekly progesterone shot my blood pressure is always on the lower end.

I know a friend of mine had HBP and actually went off her Meds during pregnancy because apparently your blood pressure naturally drops during pregnancy?

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    thank you both for your info! :)

maybe i'll get lucky and be able to come off them for a bit also! that would be wonderful!
    If not then I will def see if I can get on a safer medication... 

• Options
    I'm so happy the meds are working for both of you also!! There is enough to worry about without having to try and adjust medications!
  • Options
    Aldomet/Methyldopa is a Class B drug. I'm currently on it and it is working perfectly. My OB just adjusted it as my BP crept up a bit when I hit my third tri. Good luck! I'm sure they will find the med that best suits you.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
  • Options
    Im on nifedipine (Procardia) 10 mg to help deter any signs of preterm labor. Between that and my weekly progesterone shot my blood pressure is always on the lower end. I know a friend of mine had HBP and actually went off her Meds during pregnancy because apparently your blood pressure naturally drops during pregnancy?
    It can, but there's no guarantees. I measured 140/90-145/95 pre pregnancy pretty reliably. Not quite high enough for my docs to insist on meds, but always very close to the line.

While pregnant, however, I typically measure from 120/75-130/85 by the time I hit the second trimester. Doc still had me take a baseline urine collection at 16weeks in case of my bp going up- but so far it's stayed nice and healthy. 
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Options
    I was on atenolol 50mg while TTC and then stopped all meds on my own (silly, but long story) when I found out I was 4 weeks pregnant. My BP actually remained NORMAL and low until 24 weeks, so my doctor kept me off of it until then. He put me on Labetalol but in couldn't tolerate it. He decided to put me back on the atenolol, even tho it's a class C, but it worked until about 36 weeks and we induced at 38 weeks.

Amanda (24) DH (27)
    TTC#1: 2/2009 with PCOS - BFP 2/2013
    EDD 10.19.13 ~ DD born 10.9.13
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise! Baby S due 4.14.15
    BabyGaga

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"