Pregnant after a Loss

Mini PGAL freakout- measuring ahead, reason to worry?

Hi ladies.  I need some insight... I had a US today and the measurements seem way off.  Since I was doing heavily monitored fertility treatment, I know the date that I ovulated and can narrow down conception to 2 days around my IUI, so the week/day measurements below are based on my ovulation date, which is definitely accurate.

6w1d- US #1 (RE), measured 6w1d- perfect

8w1d- US #2 (OB), measured 8w1d- perfect

8w3d (2 days later, today)- US#3- measured 9w5d, umm WTH!?!?

The scan today was done at a radiology facility with a better machine than my scan earlier this week with my OB, and I know that there's a margin of error in measurements so I assume that the US earlier this week was off by a couple of days.  But it's *definitely* impossible for me to be 9w5d.  So now PGAL brain is telling me that I need to be worried that the baby is growing so fast, that it could be a sign that something is wrong.  Has anyone else measured so far ahead in 1st tri?  Could this mean that there's something wrong that's causing the baby to be so big?  I called my dr, waiting for him to return the call this afternoon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

Re: Mini PGAL freakout- measuring ahead, reason to worry?

• No advice, just wanted to offer HUGS!!!  
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • First, (((hugs))) for dealing with PgAL stress.  Second, this is very similar to what happened with me.  My OB didn't send me for my first u/s until what I thought would be about 9 weeks and some days.  At the u/s they measured LO at exactly 11 weeks.  I was floored.  I wasn't being monitored as closely as you were, but my temps had given me a pretty clear idea of when I O'd.  I also knew that based on BD schedule, 11 weeks wasn't possible.  When I discussed this with my MFM she explained the baby could have implanted right after conception to account for the advanced growth.  She also bluntly stated that a lot of this process is trying to make a science out of something that isn't a science.  My LO is still measuring ahead as per that first u/s.  And my NT scan and A/S both showed no developmental concerns.  Hopefully, you just have a fast grower like me!  
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers    
      *All AL Welcome*    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I hope that he calls me back soon, too!  Thanks for responding so quickly, glad to hear that you all have gone on to have normal A/S's.  Guess it could've been early implantation, but the first ultrasound seemed to be right on track.  Oh well, I know it's out of my hands, next US is in 2 weeks so I hope to get a reassuring report then.

Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs

• So it's probable that your OB just measured baby a bit smaller than baby actually is and the tech today measured baby a bit larger, and baby didn't actually grow all that much between the two scans.
    Thank you- my OB called back a little while ago and said the same thing, that it's common to be 4-5 days off with measurement so if they were both a little off, and the baby is measuring a couple of days ahead, then that explains it.  I'm feeling relieved now, stupid PGAL brain and always fearing the worst.  Thanks again everyone!

• MrsDLMrsDL member

I measured ahead with my son (and I was sure about O and conception date) pretty much the whole time. I don't have the measurements - I remember the dates though based on early measurements. His due date based on LMP was May 18. I calculated May 15 based on my O and conception date give or take a few days. His first scan at 6 weeks measured ahead - they gave me a date of May 7th based on measurements! So yep - he was way ahead. I remember them asking me if I was sure about my dates and I said 100% sure.

After the first few weeks the growth isn't really accurate for date confirmation - they grow at different rates but he always measured ahead. He was always either in the 90th percentile or "off the charts" for every ultrasound (I was AMA so I had many).  Toward the end they projected him to be 9lbs (DH was big baby and is 6'5) - I remember freaking out. The tech said he was long so delivery wouldn't be an issue. Sure enough, he was 9 lbs, 21.5 inches at birth - pushed for only 17 minutes and he was here. He was perfectly healthy, I think he measured ahead because he was a bigger baby in the end. Oh - and he came 6 days late - he was born 5/23 at 40 weeks 5/6 days - so his measuring ahead didn't actually impact when he arrived (unfortunately!) I wouldn't worry - I was told sometimes they measure behind and catch-up, sometimes they measure ahead and even out and sometimes they stay behind or ahead and are just smaller or larger babies but perfectly healthy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"