Breastfeeding

15 hours post delivery... Still haven't breastfed....??

Should I be worried about my supply or my body thinking I've chosen not to breast feed?? I gave birth at 9:53pm and now, 15 hours later, the nurses have not given me the opportunity to pump or feed...

Is this a big problem??

Re: 15 hours post delivery... Still haven't breastfed....??

• He's actually not going to have any milk til maybe day 3 or 4 days because he's under a lot of distress in the NICU. They don't want him wasting energy on digesting milk so they are giving him a sugar water of sorts via IV.

I'm just worried that my supply is going to shut down as if I'm telling my body that I never planned on breastfeeding?? Or I'll miss the colostrum phase? They're going to save the milk/colostrum for when he's ready for it.

They also definitely know to not give formula
  • I think you should be fine if you start pumping now.  Ask the LC to bring you a pump and start stashing what you produce. I pumped every 2 hours in the hospital with the hospital grade pump then did SNS when I could get DD#2 to latch and eventually did just breastfeeding.  I had my husband bring in a cooler with ice and took my stash home with me. You may need the LC to help you voice your concerns.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I second asking about donor milk if you arent producing enough when he's ready for milk. Keep asking for the pump, and if you don't get it ask your OB or pediatrician for assistance. You can also try hand expression or ask a family member to bring you a pump (a manual isn't ideal but is cheap until you have access to a better one),

Sending T&P for rapid improvement your way.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Sounds like your situation is very similar to the situation was with my DD. I had an emergency C-section also and DD was not able to be fed, by breast or bottle, for 3 days due to labored breathing. She was also on antibiotics due to meconium. Hugs to you because I know how sad and scary it is to see your LO hooked up to all those wires and IVs and not be able to really hold him! One of the nice NICU nurses let me do skin to skin contact with DD on day 2 ( I slipped her down inside my tank top), so it might be worth asking if it would be possible.

I agree with PP about getting a hospital grade pump and pumping every 2 to 3 hours. Don't be discouraged if you get drops. I got nothing when I pumped to be honest, and DD ended up getting formula. Part of the NICU requirements was that she be able to breathe and swallow without choking, so I had to let them give her formula since I wasn't able to pump anything. I didn't think to request donor milk. If you're able to get any colostrum by pumping or hand expressing, you can request to feed LO that by syringe when he is ready. If you do end up having to give formula, it's not the end of the world, and don't feel guilty! Just pump so that your supply will be established for when you are able to put LO to the breast.

Hang in there! I know all of this is very traumatic, but LO will be OK and soon you will both be home. My DD's breathing improved fairly quickly and she only had to stay in the NICU for 4 days. We were actually both released from the hospital on the same day. I hope your LO does very well and gets out ASAP!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Start pumping NOW. I also didn't start until a good 12 hours after delivery myself, and even then didn't get into the every-2-3-hours routine until 24 hours in, simply because I had no idea what I was doing. Just start, keep at it -- and T&Ps for your LO -- it's tough to see them in the NICU, NPO and everything. :/
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Keep up the pumping! Go sit by him, skin to skin if you can. Pump every 2 hours during the day and every 3 over night if possible. I know it feels hopeless at first with the tiny bits of colostrum, but like others have said, they only need a tiny little bit and the pumping will help your milk come in. I also think it is important to say- if he needs a little formula in the beginning, it's not the end of the world. It does not mean he won't be able to breastfeed exclusively once your milk is in. Right now, the most important thing is getting his health stable and everything under control.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • As a nurse I am appalled that you haven't been given the opportunity to pump! Get on that call light and ask for a pump to be delivered to you now. Also ask to see a Lactation Consultant asap and keep asking until she comes. Like previous mamas have suggested, if you want to establish a supply without being able to nurse directly, you need to stimulate your breasts with the pump every 2 hours, even overnight. These first few days are essential and it's all about supply and demand.

I can't imagine how stressful it is for you to have your baby in the NICU, but I wish you the very best of luck and try as much as you can to manage your stress, drink your water, and pump, pump, pump. Best of luck, mama, and Congratulations!

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"