Almost There!! Top 2 are: Sofia/Sophia and Emilia — The Bump
Baby Names

Almost There!! Top 2 are: Sofia/Sophia and Emilia

bwralcbwralc
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments Name Dropper 5 Love Its
edited August 2013 in Baby Names
We are deciding between Sofia/Sophia and Emilia to be DD2's name. DD1 is Olivia Grace and we really don't mind popularity so that is not a factor. Also if you pick one of the Sofia/Sophia's can you please say why you chose that spelling and if you choose Emilia, please explain how you pronounce it. Thanks!!!

Almost There!! Top 2 are: Sofia/Sophia and Emilia 140 votes

Sofia
15% 21 votes
Sophia
40% 57 votes
Emilia
44% 62 votes
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Almost There!! Top 2 are: Sofia/Sophia and Emilia

• magsugar13magsugar13
    Long-Lasting Membership 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    sofia because I prefer the Italian spelling (it is an Italian name) so I would go with the original spelling

catahoulattestreamtrax41
  • I like the sound of Sophia better and this spelling looks softer to me :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I love Emilia
    Lost Lilah (Audra's twin) at 26 weeks. Cause unknown. Forever in our hearts
    WinsyWade
  • I'm just going by personal opinion to be honest. I've seen it spelled Sofia before but really don't think it looks right. Also, if you call her "Sophie" I think that looks a bit better than "Sofie". It almost looks as if sofia would be pronounced "saw-fa" versus "so-phe-a." Just my opinion though! Good luck! :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• mj.reilly said:
    I have always preferred Sofia. I don't know why, exactly. I guess it feels more sophisticated, simple, and elegant.

I think Emilia is nice too. It is not my favorite. /eh-MEEL-ya/
    That is what is holding me up on Emilia.  Everyone tells me Emilia is pronounced differently from Amelia.  Sorry I'm not good at doing the correct pronunciation lettering but.  I say Amelia
    Uh-MEEL-ya and I say Emilia EM-eel-ya.  However I've noticed most pronounce them almost exactly the same.
    [Deleted User]
  • I voted Emilia. Pronunciation: Eh-meel-ee-ah.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • LMvW85 said:
    I voted Emilia. Pronunciation: Eh-meel-ee-ah.
    This is more how I say it, i'm so bad at writing out how I pronounce things.
  • hmm it may be location and accent.  I'm in the Chicagoland area and I've noticed that everyone around here says Uh-livia-uh instead of what seems like how other people pronounce it as O-live-ia.  I guess it's similiar for Emilia
  • Annie10 said:
    I voted Sophia. For some silly reason my eyes see Sofia and my brain thinks sofa. I know, strange.
    Me too. I'm just not a fan of Emilia for no particular reason.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 (my birthday!) MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

TTC #1 (Round 2): May 16, 2014 

Names | Blog | Chart

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• ok so I know this makes me seem like a total idiot but how do I view my poll results?  It's hiding the results from me, do I have to vote on my own poll?  The bump tech support is still showing the old forum layout and answers ::sigh:::
  • bwralcbwralc
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    @mj.reilly that is such a silly process, of course I should know better it's the bump ;).  Thanks so much for answering, I'm usually mobile and can't do much of anything so this is my first poll since the conversion. :)
  • mh89mh89
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments First Anniversary First Answer
    I voted or Emilia. Sophia and Olivia were the names of Jude Law's children in the movie The Holiday (great movie btw). I definitely prefer the ph spelling in Sophia as well.
    image image

• I confuse Sophia and Olivia a lot, they aren't all that similar so idk why, but I prefer Emilia anyhow.

• I chose the Sophia spelling, but it's most likely because that's how my grandmother's name was spelled, so it looks most correct to me.

image  image

• Emilia. I pronounce it like Emilio, but with an A. Eh Meel ee uh
    ✯             ✯              ✯          ✯               ✯     ✯             ✯         ✯     ✯          ✯                   
  • I pronounce Emilia the way Emilia Clark says her name: Eh-meel-Leah. It's similar, but more elegant than Amelia, which I have always heard pronounced Uh-meel-yuh. For Sophia, I like this spelling. It looks more complete and doesn't make me think of sofa.
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • +ASH+ said:

I pronounce Emilia the way Emilia Clark says her name: Eh-meel-Leah. It's similar, but more elegant than Amelia, which I have always heard pronounced Uh-meel-yuh.

For Sophia, I like this spelling. It looks more complete and doesn't make me think of sofa.

Funny I had to google Emilia Clark, since I didn't know who she was. :). Thanks for the feedback!
  • Emilia is my daughters name. We say it like Emily not a long e.
    baberk1streamtrax41
  • Love Sophia. The other two are nice too.
  • My DD is Sophia, so obviously that's my vote. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Emilia Rose is my daughters name and we say it with a short e like Emily with an a

• I say it Eh-MEEL-ee-yuh. I pronounce Amelia as uh-MEEL-yuh.
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• JMU_Bride09JMU_Bride09
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Emilia, and I pronounce it EH-MEEL-YA

Eta: As opposed to Amelia UH-MEEL-YA

• Olivia and Sophia!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards