C-sections
Options

Really though....when did you pick up your older child?

I know it's a bit early...but My son will be 17 months when this baby is born.  How long did you guys actually wait to pick up your older one?  He's very attached.  And wants to be held a lot.  TIA
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Really though....when did you pick up your older child?

• Options
    My DD was the same age. I started to pick her up early and ended up in a lot of pain and a swollen stomach. My Dr told me I needed to stop so I couldn't pick her up again until 6weeks pp. She likes to be held a lot too so I'd sit on the ground and let her climb on me and hold her that way.
  • Options
    At least 3 weeks and very minimal. I really overdid it my second time and recovery was way worse. Go ahead and teach him to climb in/out of the car seat alone- it will make your life way easier.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah don't do it too early. A C is major surgery and you want it to heal properly. Your partner will have to step in and do the lifting for weeks. My DD was 20 months when DS was born and she also liked to be held, etc. you can sit with your older kid and cuddle. I don't know if I waited 6 weeks, but I waited quite awhile. You don't want jeopardize healing. Start getting him prepped before by slightly changing how you interact regarding holding, etc.
  • Options
    I had a c with my sons and now this baby will be a c too.  I know I was very cautious.  But healing feels like it took a few days  lol.  It didn't but it's AMAZING how you forget.  DH will be off for 3 weeks after this baby so he's be around for a bit.  I feel like sometimes ds is so attached bc I leave for work 5 days a week and I commute so I'm gone much longer than I'd like to be.  But I'm hoping that being home for July and August will ease up his attachment.  Not make it worse.  Thanks ladies.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I waited a good three weeks to do any kind of lifting. Then it was very minimal (like just supporting part of her if she was climbing something). By 6 weeks I felt very well healed and confident in carrying her somewhere. She is 2.5 and a good 32-35 lbs.
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    DD was 17 months when DS was born. I was on my own at 10 days. So I had to lift her in and out of the high chair and crib at 10 days pp. Sometimes I had to carry her up and down the stairs if she refused to do it herself. I don't know how you can wait to 6wk pp unless you have fulltime help.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    About a week pp, I helped ds1 up a few times when I was sitting. I tried to stick with that for a few more weeks. I didn't pick him up from a standing position until I was about 3-4 weeks pp, but my son is 3 and weighs about 37 pounds.
    Married in 2008.  Mom to 2 boys:  2010 and 2014
  • Options
    ODS was 27 months old when YDS was born, and I waited quite awhile because ODS was/is a very solid kid. His daycare teachers were happy to help me get him into the car when I picked him up. I do remember having to lift him into his crib finally one night when DH had to work late, but I think I was 3-4 weeks pp at that point.
  • Options
    DS1 was 27m when my twins were born.  They were born on a Thursday, we went home on Monday, DH was home the rest of the week.  The next week it was just me home with our toddler and twin NB's.  I had to lift him here and there to get him in and out of his crib for nap time.  

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    DS was 17 months and it was impossible to wait....I think I waited a few days or a week.  Not sure how he would get into his crib by himself if my husband was at work or not home for whatever reason.  He had just started walking too so he was not the most efficient walker and had to be carried everywhere we went.  probably wasn't the best because I felt my recovery was a lot longer then my first C but it is what it is.  
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    My husband had to go back to work the day after we brought baby home and our oldest is only 11 months older so it was only about four days after I had our son before I started picking up our daughter and now 8 weeks later I'm regretting it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"