January 2014 Moms
Options

Plugged ducts

Yesterday morning, I woke up engorgered on my left side. I figured it was because LO slept 6 hours+ and my boobs weren't used to going that long. Throughout the day, I started most nursing sessions on the left to alleviate the fullness I was experiencing. Late last night, I started to notice a few hard and tender lumps on the bottom and side (by my armpit). I'm fairly sure these are plugged ducts. What is your best remedy for alleviating them quickly? I really want to prevent this from turning into mastitis.
Baby Boy Due 1.25.14

Re: Plugged ducts

• Options
    Heat and massage. Massage while nursing, as painful as it is. For me personally, the heating pad works better than the shower.
  • Options
    HOT SHOWER + MASSAGE! That works the best for me. If at all possible, before and after feedings even. (I can obviously only do this on weekends when H is around.) Massaging in a very hot shower works better than anything for me.

Also, up your water intake by as much as you can possibly stomach today. That seems to help. I have found salty snack help me too, but I've never read that as a suggestion so I don't know if it works for everyone. It might have something to do with electrolytes, not sure.

I really hope you get to work them out. I seem to progress to the fever, chills, general malaise very quickly and it's just miserable! :(

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @peanutmuse I almost wrote that the shower works better for me than a heating pad. Boobs are so unique!

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Options
    Heat and massage. I keep a hot corn bag on there. And Advil. Lecithin supplements helped me. Also nurse in different positions. I could feel them moving when I did football vs my normal cradle.

• Options
    All the above and also nurse on that side as often as possible and even try dangle nursing to help it move on out.
  • Options
    PPs have covered it, massage, heating pad, hot shower while massaging, ibuprofen, and I'll add 'combing' breast with wide toothed comb towards nipple. I haven't pulled out the comb but replicated motion with my fingernails-not scratching but pressing the back of my hand on the breast, 'comb' down with some pressure. Not sure if that makes sense but this has been just as helpful as massage. And focus on the hard lump but don't neglect the rest, treat the whole boob. Then prepare for dripping milk... And relief!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Massage in the shower worked best for me.  My OB's nurse said cabbage leaves work wonders according to patients she has spoken to. I didn't try it. My last clog worked itself out over a couple days.

If you get a fever/chills be sure to call your Dr right away. Mastitis need treatment right away. Hope it doesn't get that far for you!

My 2 December boys

• Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! I certainly have a list of options to try. I hope to get this thing worked out ASAP. Thanks again, ladies! :)
    Baby Boy Due 1.25.14
  • Options
    cnctfcnctf member
    DD STTN and I'm so thankful for that, but the plugged ducts and engorgement suck!! As much as you can, do what the PPs recommended. I also unhook the back of my bra when I sleep so it isnt causing more pressure and tightness around my breast (I dont take it off cause it keeps my nursing pads in place)
    image=
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Heat and massage. I keep a hot corn bag on there. And Advil. Lecithin supplements helped me. Also nurse in different positions. I could feel them moving when I did football vs my normal cradle.

I don't know why but I read this as "I keep a hot corn dog on there" and lost it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    cnctfcnctf member
    @sgriff1 LMAO!!! Now I kinda want a corn dog!
    image=
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"