Adoption

Introducing myself again.

Hey all, I intro'ed on this board forever ago... when we started foster to adopt classes... then we had second thoughts about adoption because we just weren't done with fertility treatments. After grieving the fact that I won't experience pregnancy, my husband and I are moving forward with domestic infant adoption and we are super excited!

We did not specify race with our agency, and I have been frantically reading everything I can get my hands on (books, blogs, etc.) about transracial adoption. We are also in the midst of paperwork gathering for the homestudy, so that's taking up lots of our time right now.

Has anyone on this board tried to induce lactation? I talked to a lactation consult yesterday, and am considering it, and would love to hear of your experiences.

I hope to be more active around here now since we are really doing this (!) (and I feel like I have a thousand questions every day), and I look forward to getting to know all of you. 

Re: Introducing myself again.

• Welcome and GL on your journey!  

I am also looking into inducing lactation and I am going to try and make an appointment this week but I wanted to call my Insurance Company first as I'm not sure if any of the appointments or equipment will be covered.  

This may also be of some help:
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12294249/first-induced-lactation-check-in-3-20-14#latest

J&B // Married 9/19/09
    J: 28 // B: 32 

TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)
    November 2013: Applied & Accepted by the Agency
    January 2014: Home Study, education class, Profiles
    February 2014: "Officially Waiting"
  • I don't have any advice, but wanted to say good luck!!
    Happily married Mom to 2 beautiful little girls, 2 dogs and 2 cats (all rescues), 2 fish and one 29 year-old firebelly newt.
    ~ Hoping to add to our family by adoption via Connecticut DCF. Application submitted on 2/4/14. First home visit on 6/23/14. Started class 11/17/14.~

• Loading the player...
  • I don't have any advice about lactation but, if you want a list of books or any 1st hand information on transracial adoption feel free to pm me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Welcome and GL! I think we have a couple of adoptive BFers here, hopefully they'll chime in soon
  • Thanks you guys for the welcome!

@TheatrePal (does this work to tag you on here??), I loved Secret Thoughts of An Adoptive Mother and In Their Own Voices (from the perspective of the adoptees)... I also have a couple other books that I am about halfway through right now: I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla, The Interracial Adoption Option, and Come Rain or Come Shine.

For blogs: check out birthproject.wordpress.com and White Sugar, Brown Sugar. From those, I found this website: mybrownbaby.com which has some interesting articles about adoption.

There are also some documentaries on Netflix: Off and Running is the one I can think of off the top of my head.

@plus12012 I am about to write you a PM. Thanks!

• I'm thrilled to see how excited you are about adoption, and I wish you the very best. A site that may be helpful to you after your adoption is at https://empoweredtoconnect.org/ ~ Dr. Karyn Purvis has studied child psychology and is very knowledgeable about the unique needs and psyche of an adopted infant or child. Hugs and blessings to you!

• Welcome! I would see if your agency can help with information and training on transracial adoption. I will try to relactate when we are match if possible. I've been working on getting information about it and I think you're on the right track with contacting a lactation consultant. It can be done. It sounds like we have a lot in common!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Thanks everyone. @jalara48, I sent you a message.
  • I induced lactation, and had a pretty decent volume, so overall I considered it a success.  I used domperidone, or a variant of that, purchased online, since it's technically illegal in the states, though you can get it compounded at a compounding pharmacy.  It greatly increases volume.  Asklenore.com is a great resource with a protocol for inducing quickly, if need be, or more gradually if you have advance notice on the placement.

A couple things I didn't consider though...one, our hospital wouldn't let me breastfeed until his birthmom was discharged.  This meant that I was caring for him 100% of the time, but was unable to feed for 2 days, only pump.  Which was a giant time suck, and very hard to do with a needy newborn present.  By the time I finally got to feed, my production had drastically decreased.  Also, our son had slight withdrawal, and one of his symptoms was aggressive and poor latch.  It was so painful to feed, that I gave up after only a few days (I had blood blisters).  I pumped to supplement his formula for a month, and then gave up because it was too much work.  

I'm glad I did it and would do it if we adopt again, but if it doesn't work like you had hoped, just be proud that you made the extra effort!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"