November 2013 Moms

NBR: Bald lady needs hair advice.

bglovesbabykbglovesbabyk member
edited March 2014 in November 2013 Moms
I've come to the conclusion that I am going to be near bald here soon thanks to postpartum hair loss. I've lost a small Wookie worth of hair, no kidding it's really bad. My hair line looks really thin, and my overall hair thickness is getting close to that of a 60 yr old. I LOVE having long hair, and DH would NOT be happy if I cut it short,and neither would I, but its getting really thin, gross thin. I also have tons of grey up front which is an issue too. When my hair is dark, the grey shows much more quickly. So I am thinking about going back light to hide the grey. I do prefer my hair dark, but I think it's not working with the grey and now grossly thin hair. I'm trying to decide if I should tough it out and stay dark, or give in and go back light.
So my questions for you people that I've never met and strangely value your honest opinion more than many of the weirdos in my real life, which do you think looks better on me, light or dark? Honestly.
Second, how bad is your hair loss at this point and what are you considering doing to camouflage if anything? 
Third, what is your natural color and if you color it, what do you do and why?

Yes...I have a strange obsession about hair, and this is really bugging me even though it probably shouldn't.
Off to shop for some cute hats. :( 
Thanks ladies.

Re: NBR: Bald lady needs hair advice.

• 1.) I think both colors flatter you. But I usually go a little lighter in the summer, darker in the winter. My hair gets bleached out by the sun. Personal preference to have the color vary slightly based on the season. I think your skin tone looks good with light and dark.

2.) I don't think I'm losing/have lost a lot of hair, but I had a ton to start with anyway.

3.) My natural color is a medium reddish brown. My avatar is a pic with my natural color. I have highlights put in two or three times a year to cover the grey, which isn't much at this time.
  • You look beautiful both ways, but if going light would make you feel more comfortable then go for it.

I normally go light in the winter and dark on the summer. Opposite of most people. My natural color is a really boring mousy brown. I have had some hair loss, but I have a lot of hair, so I don't really mind.

• Loading the player...
  • I have super thin hair too and losing crazy amounts! I do the light in summer dark in winter. About now is when I go light but my hairdresser said the bleach will just make more fall out and it strips your hair, and that dying darker is actually better because the dye coats your hair and technically makes it a little fuller (?) Ill take her word for it. Soooo despite my typical seasonal change I'm staying dark! Holding on to all the strands I can!
  • I totally understand what you're going through! I'm 27 but have been graying since high school (especially in front) my hair is naturally dark brown but I keep in light brown with blonde highlights to mask my gray (with dark hair I literally have to dye it every 2 weeks, with the blonde it's every 6-8weeks). I am also super uber obsessed with my hair, the color at least.

I think you look good both ways. Personally, I prefer the look of dark hair in general but CANT STAND the constant peek-a-boo I play with the grays. I stay blonde for the convenience

I think you could probably cut it a medium length would still look nice and thicken it up. It always grows back :)

((of course, I haven't broken down and cut my hair yet, but I'm sure I'm will at my next appt :( ))
  • Thanks ladies. It makes it a little better to know I'm not the only one going through this. I'm one of those people who never had the perfect body, so my hair has kind of been a little security blanket for me. Stupid I know. This was something I really did not see coming and it's got me feeling like an insecure 15 year old. @SJacques7‌ the article was helpful. At least there is some logic and hope behind this madness. I'll talk it over with my hairdresser. But @keight38‌ I think you're right, I might make a bad situation worse with highlights. Ughh... I will try to be patient and hope it gets better soon and hopefully the worst is over. Good luck to the rest of you ladies. If I figure anything out I'll be sure to pass it along.
  • I totally understand what you're going through! I'm 27 but have been graying since high school (especially in front) my hair is naturally dark brown but I keep in light brown with blonde highlights to mask my gray (with dark hair I literally have to dye it every 2 weeks, with the blonde it's every 6-8weeks). I am also super uber obsessed with my hair, the color at least.

I think you look good both ways. Personally, I prefer the look of dark hair in general but CANT STAND the constant peek-a-boo I play with the grays. I stay blonde for the convenience

I think you could probably cut it a medium length would still look nice and thicken it up. It always grows back :)

((of course, I haven't broken down and cut my hair yet, but I'm sure I'm will at my next appt :( ))

Yes!!! Someone who feels my hair pain. I love having dark hair because I feel more myself and I feel fake with light hair. But I hate dealing with grey and dark hair. Ok I'm starting to sound like a first world whiner, but damn this sucks. Is this why old ladies wear wigs? I think I am going to consider it. :-/

• I think you look great both ways but like some of the other girls said, you can def go lighter since we are going into spring/ summer.

As for the thinning hair, I feel your pain! My husband keeps telling me I'm going to go bald soon. The only thing I've been trying to do is to leave it down or put it back in a loose clip, not in too tight of a pony tail or braid.
  • You're beautiful with both dark or light hair.  I'm jealous.  I went back to my natural hair color ONCE since I started lightening it and my ex husband told me I look better as a blonde, as did my boss at the time.  So I went back to blonde pretty quickly and have never looked back.

I had very fine, thin hair before getting pregnant, so it was great when it stopped falling out.  But man, there is no stopping it now.  I find blonde hairs everywhere!  I'm constantly checking Evie's little fingers for my hair wrapped around them!  I already got my 'mom cut,' cut off 8" awhile back because she was pulling it all the time.  I think it made my hair have more volume and look a little thicker.  But I really miss my long hair and wish I had it back already.
  • I love the light color!

25 People Who Haven't Quite Figured Out Parenting Yet

Lilypie - (TIAf)

Lilypie - (95p4)

• First of all, you're a beautiful woman.  But, you should do what makes you most comfortable.  I'm 27 and have been graying since high school.  I have that streak.  I like to think I look like Storm from X-Men, which I know isn't true :-) I have thought about dying it but am concerned about the upkeep, so I just rock it.  Seriously though, do whatever makes you feel good about yourself!
  • I like both, so pretty! But I personally would be afraid of more damage going lighter.

I am losing my hair like crazy... I recently got it cut because the split ends were knotting up and making it worse.  So I am just going to keep up with trims to keep it as healthy as possible!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think I like the dark hair better. Not to say that the lighter color doesn't look nice, though.

I am having major hair loss issues over here. I have fine thin hair anyway and was feeling pretty awesome about it during pregnancy. Now I'm back to hating my fine thin hair. I'm not really doing anything to camouflage it, but I did just get my first cut in SIX MONTHS (you read that right) and it feels much better and looks a million times healthier. No more skipping cuts for me!

I have mousy, flat medium brown hair. I have it my natural color now. I have put highlights in before and I love them but it's so much upkeep and so expensive. I usually choose to get mani's and pedi's here and there than to get my hair highlighted.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"