August 2013 Moms
Options

EBF / bTDT moms question

Hi Ladies, DD2 is 7.5 months old and EBF. DD1 was formula fed and by the time she was 6 months old, was on 4 bottles/day and 3 meals. I have BFed DD2 on demand, and she has kinda fallen into a schedule where she nurses 6x/day and eats 3x. It's just becoming....a lot.... And I know by the time most babies are a year or so, babies are usually BFing about 4x/day. So I'm wondering, is this a normal amount of feeds? Do I need to start dropping feeds? Should she be able to go longer than 2 hours between feedings at this point? What is your LOs schedule? Here's her schedule, FYI: 7am - nurse 8am - breakfast 9am - nurse down for nap (sleep til about 10-10:30) 11am - nurse 12:30 - lunch 1:30 - nurse down for nap (sleep til about 3:30) 4:00 nurse 6:00 - dinner 7:00 nurse to bed As you can see, she goes longer between feedings in the afternoon. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: EBF / bTDT moms question

• Options
    We EBF and are doing BLW. DD nurses 6 times a day with an occasional night feed. She "eats" 2-3 meals a day but I would hardly call it eating. The majority of your baby's nutrition should be from BF, not "food". 

Our typical day (no schedule, I BF on demand) looks like this:

7:30 BF
    8:30 Eat breakfast
    9:30 BF
    12:00 BF
    12:30 Eat lunch
    3:30 BF
    6:30 BF
    7:00 Eat dinner
    8:00 BF

I think our schedules look pretty similar. I don't think you should be dropping feeds. She knows when she is hungry and breastmilk is going to have a lot more of what she needs than food.

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are doing about 6 times a day too. I'm with. @MommyKristin88‌ that on my weekend she is permanently attached to the boob.
  • Options
    MagPie 1986MagPie 1986 member
    edited March 2014
    Can you try to put her down for a nap without nursing? Is she really eating anything before she falls asleep? If you take out the nursing to sleep feeds, she really may be only eating every 3-4 hours.

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options
    My oldest BF 6x a day at that age but was down to 4x a day by 9mo with 3 meals. We fed on demand, that's just how it was. We transitioned to morning and night BFing only around 12.5mo.

The twins are still 6-7x a day at 9mo with 2-3 meals. They're peanuts but growing steadily so I'm not trying to cut out any feedings just yet.

It is a lot, but a lot will change over the next 4-5months. I don't think it's excessive by any means.

• Options
    Our schedule is about the same, plus at least 1 night feed sometimes 2. So no, it doesn't seem like a lot to me.
    I bf on demand & try to keep a routine with meals. I figure lo knows when she's hungry & when she's not. I don't understand people's need/want to train babies when to eat. It's natural....when you're hungry you eat, should be the same for lo.
  • Options
    I wouldn't drop a feeding because her main source of nutrition is milk
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I nurse in demand and so far today she had nursed 4 times since midnight. She will probably nurse at least 3-4 more times today, on top of having solids 2 times.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    vulpinivulpini member
    edited March 2014
    LO eats about every 2 hours during the day, with 2 "meals" of solids which are really not much of a meal, and an occasional middle of the night bottle.  I think it's pretty normal at this age for them to still eat frequently.  I've also noticed that he now eats less at each feeding because he gets distracted by people/objects/cats around him and loses interest in his bottle once he's no longer starving.  Then a little later he remembers he was hungry.  It often takes him two sittings 30-45 minutes apart to finish one 4oz bottle.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm a FTM, but LO (7.5 months old) currently eats 6x per day (7 if she wakes in the MOTN, but she hasn't been).  She only gets solids once a day, but we're planning to offer twice a day when she gets over her cold (she hasn't really wanted to eat solids because of the congestion).  During the week, her schedule is: Nurse at 6:30 am, 3 bottles at DC (around 9, 12, and 3, give or take 30 minutes), nurse when she gets home at 5:30, nurse at bedtime around 7-7:30.  On the weekends, she nurses around 7, 10:30, 2, twice more in the late afternoon/early evening, and 7:30.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    petey1106 said:

@LJUTCMommy we had a day earlier this week where he only BF'd 7x and it was a small miracle. Sure as shit though, the next day we were back at 10.

The only time DD eats less than 10x is when we're in a really stimulating environment and she can't be bothered to nurse. For example, if we are in a park full of screaming kids, she would rather look around and play than eat.

• Options
    I think were on #8 right now. I forgot that I wanted to count. She's actually down one because we had DHs family over and she was distracted. She'll wake up at least once between now and midnight to nurse, usually right around 11/1130.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No help since I had to stop around the 6 month mark bc I wasn't producing enough but I just wanted to say wow! You ladies are awesome! I totally commend you all for still breast feeding and doing it so often throughout the day/night! You are great Mommas!
  • Options
    I know I am late but just wanted to offer up my experience as well. I have no schedule either, I nurse on demand and nurse a lot. Jr is up at least 3-4 times a night and probably eats every 2-3 hours during the day plus his solids foods. So I think I am well over 6x a day and probably closer to 8-10 bf a day.
    imageimageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"