November 2012 Moms

spoiled toddler

Im a FTM and I want to avoid spoiling my toddler but I dont know if I am or not.  She seems to throw fits/crying when I tell her "no" or take things away...Im assuming this is normal behavior for a toddler?  What things do you do or dont do regarding parenting ur toddler?

Re: spoiled toddler

• Emma does the same thing. It's seems like more often than not she is throwing some kind of fit. My pedi told me to just let her work it out by herself and thats the easiest way for them to learn. So that's what I do. I'm not looking forward to 2 or 3 either!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • K will throw a tiny fit, but usually moves on to other things. I agree with @uconnhuskie007‌ about sticking to the rules. Also, beware of the so sweet little eyes trick. K tries this, but we don't give in.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • kbl13kbl13 member
    I agree with pp, I think consistency is super- important.

B has started trying to climb/stand on everything and I find myself saying "no" a lot during the day, so my new goal is to use more words and try to redirect, then praise him.

Some days that's easier said than done ~X(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• LimaDLimaD member
    JKVogt said:
    K will throw a tiny fit, but usually moves on to other things. I agree with @uconnhuskie007‌ about sticking to the rules. Also, beware of the so sweet little eyes trick. K tries this, but we don't give in.
    lol DD does a quiver lip that kills me! (I don't give in, but it's hard to keep a straight face!)
  • We are dealing with it as well but one additional phase is she knows when shes in trouble because I make her look at me...and so she covers her eyes and makes it super hard to pull her hands awAY. so I make her sit on her bottom until she looks at me. I will not survive mommyhood if she be becomes spoiled.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Luckily, H is a minimalist when it comes to throwing tantrums.  If he gets really into it, I just let him lay on the floor and let it out.

image   My chart 

• Ya, I think it is normal. For LO it is definitely made worse by not bring able to say exactly what she wants to say - so we've made a few changes that eased up her tantrumming. We taught her a few key signs ("more", "hungry", "thirsty"). Unless there is an emergency situation we make a point of explaining why we need to do something or the sequence of events beforehand. Sometimes, like when she runs off with my keys, I let her examine them and then ask if I can have them. That took a while to get working, but she usually does just hand them over after that.

This tends to not work so well when she is super tired and hungry, but the tantrums have subsided considerably since we started doing these things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"