Breastfeeding
Options

Introducing formula to a EBF baby - advice

Hi momma's. Looking for a little advice. My LO is almost 6 mo and has been EBF. I still plan on EBF, but have some events coming up where LO will be spending the night at my parents house. Pumping has not been great for me, I generally only get about 2-3 ounces if lucky. My freezer supply dwindled as we've been having H feed her and get her used to the bottle. She took to the bottle like a champ.

I am wondering how any of you introduced formula (if you did) as a supplement to BF. Did you mix it with BM so it's easier on their tummys and not a huge shock? Also worried that she may like it better and then reject the boob all together. Any guidance would be appreciated. TIA

Re: Introducing formula to a EBF baby - advice

• Options
    Hi, I have given my LO some formula and was given the same advice as PP, try to see if she/he will take it straight first, only mix it if they refuse or dislike the taste.

I've never given more than one bottle a day so I can't speak on your concern that they will like it more than BM and reject the boob, but my LO doesn't seem to notice when we slip a formula bottle into the mix.

A thought;  if you don't think you can build up your freezer stash enough to avoid formula altogether during your events you might want to introduce a bottle of formula say now, or soon, just one a day or every three days and pump in its place to help build your freezer stash. Also so that your LO won't be trying formula for the first time at your parents, just in case! 

This will let you know if your LO will take it straight, help you pump extra to build your freezer stash and ease any transition to formula so you keep the supplementation to a minimum and be able to send some BM bags and some formula to your parents when necessary.

• Options
    LO gets one bottle of formula on days that I work. 

I didn't want to waste any BM, so we gave her straight formula to try.  We also just went ahead and started with regular formula, not the "for supplementation" kind because that was the sample we had on hand.  She took it with no trouble and has been supplementing for almost a month now.

I agree with PP to try her on it ahead of time so that you don't get into a tricky situation while she is staying at your parents.
    Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your advice ladies, it's greatly appreciated. I will definitely try giving LO some straight formula to see how it goes. I was hesitant to mix it with BM as I didn't want to waste the liquid gold in case it was a fail! It's good to know you've had success and your LO's didn't even notice it in the mix. Makes me feel so much better about supplementing.

I definitely need to be more deligent with pumping. Unfortunately every time H has given LO a bottle I have been out and not in an environment that I could pump, but would make it home intime for her next feeding with boobs of steel!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"