Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Does your LO spit up a lot?

I have a boy, 9 weeks, and he spits up a lot. I'm going to the pedi tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else was dealing with this. He spits up some right after he eats, but then also up to 2 hours after as well.

If you dealt with this, what helped to fix the problem?
image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does your LO spit up a lot?

• Yes my daughter spits up a lot! She is 6.5 weeks. With other symptoms like fussing during and after feeding and waking frequently in the night crying, the doctor diagnosed her with reflux. She has been on medicine for 1 week now and the spitting up doesn't seem bother her anymore. I also noticed a decrease in the amount she spits up. Good luck!
  • edited March 2014
    My son is also 9 weeks and is a spitter as well. It usually didn't bother him but a couple of weeks ago he spit up threw his nose and mouth and was crying so I took him to the doctor. They told me that the valve to the stomach isn't fully developed in till 6 or 7 months and that causes some babies to spit up also known as reflux. Nothing bad and it will go away. The only thing they suggested was if it was effecting him while eating (crying and arching his back a lot) they would give him medication for the pain but it wouldn't stop the spitting up.
    I try and hold him for 30-40 min after feeding which helps and when I feed him I make sure he is upright.
    I've just come to terms with it (I know it's a huge pain because you never know when it's going to happen) and put cloth bibs on him so I don't have to constantly change his clothes
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD is 12 weeks, but she always spits up. Our ped isn't concerned because it is not causing distress. It's like DD doesn't even know she spits up. I always put a bib on her and try to hold her upright. We don't do tummy time right after a feeding either, that is just a mess.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• bjlilling said:
    My son is also 9 weeks and is a spitter as well. It usually didn't bother him but a couple of weeks ago he spit up threw his nose and mouth and was crying so I took him to the doctor. They told me that the valve to the stomach isn't fully developed in till 6 or 7 months and that causes some babies to spit up also known as reflux. Nothing bad and it will go away. The only thing they suggested was if it was effecting him while eating (crying and arching his back a lot) they would give him medication for the pain but it wouldn't stop the spitting up.
    I try and hold him for 30-40 min after feeding which helps and when I feed him I make sure he is upright.
    I've just come to terms with it (I know it's a huge pain because you never know when it's going to happen) and put cloth bibs on him so I don't have to constantly change his clothes
    My daughter is doing the arching her back thing too while feeding! My pediatrician said it was because my milk moves so quickly through her body and also because of the valve. But she didn't give us any medication.... :( What kind of medicine did your pedi prescribe for you? I would like to ask about it. 
  • They gave me a prescription and said to only use it if he wouldn't eat and was crying a lot. Luckily he was eating so I threw it away a couple of days ago because it was only good for the weight he was at a couple of weeks ago when I went. I'm sorry I don't remember what the medication was :(
    As long as your little one is eating though I wouldn't be concerned. If she arches her back try moving her  in a slightly different position. I read online that arching the back means the baby is uncomfortable and is trying to reposition.  If your finding that she wont eat I would call the doctor back and let them know
  • MY little guy is 3 months and constantly spits up. His first couple of feedings he spit up and choked, it came out his nose and he stopped breathing for a moment - until I flipped him over. The Dr and nurses told us to make sure he slept on his side so he wouldn't choke. 

He doesn't choke on his spit up anymore but he does still spit up quite a bit. We were told by our Dr that their little tummies are sensitive to movement or certain positions right after they eat. and it never fails if i put him in his car seat after he nurses he spits up. 

Knowing all of this I try to keep him sitting upright for a bit before moving him around too much or just keep a spit up rag close by. to an extent it's totally natural. But if your LO is crying while spiting up and seems uncomfortable call your Dr. better safe than sorry. 
  • What do you gals consider spit up? My LO does what I call power puking. She does it about once a day. She's not upset , she usually smiles and babbles afterwards. The dr gave me a rx for Zantac but I haven't decided if I'm going to get it filled or not. She said there's no guarantee it will help her and she'll likely outgrow the throwing up. I just don't like to see her doing it I guess. Poor LO ones and some of the things they go through while they are still growing!
  • sometimes my little guy will straight up PUKE all over when I burb him and other times it's just a little spit up. If I nurse him them put him in his car seat too soon - I think because it squishes his tummy?!- he will have what looks like straight BM come out his mouth. He never seems upset. 

I seriously think he eats too fast sometimes or just chugs while BF. :) he's my hungry hungry hippo! 
  • Both of my kids did ths and its so frustrating! It seems that most pedis arent concerned so long as the baby is gaining well and doesn't appear to be in a lot of pain.

Two things have helped me deal... a few times I used waterproof bibs with a pocket while burping. Since the spit up pooled in the pocket I was able to really see howuch was coming out. What seemed like "all" his food turned out to be less tjan half an ounce.

Also mh burp cloths werent working and the spitup would just run off the cloth... so I started usinf gerber diaper cloths as burp cloths... so much better!

Good luck!
    Rachel (a.k.a. The Analytical Mommy.com and @analyticalmommy on IG)
    I'm just trying to make sense of things :-) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"