November 2013 Moms

Arrest drinking & breastfeeding

Ninjamama86Ninjamama86 member
edited March 2014 in November 2013 Moms
Just saw this on the news and thought it was interesting.

Maybe I'm just an alcoholic (ok seriously I'm not) but I EBF I really don't see a problem with having an occasional drink. I've had a drink here and there, Generally I'll have immediately one after feeding her so I have 2 hours or so for it wear it off, but at home I've even had a drink in 1 hand and the baby on the boob and the same time (my thought being by the time the alcohol got to my milk, she'd done feeding anyway). I'm definitely not ballsy enough to ever do it in public because I can only imagine the looks I'd get.

I think it's so crazy that they arrested that mother. If she was drunk then absolutely, BF'ing or not she should not have been taking care of her kids, but 2 beers with dinner over 90 minutes... More than I'd drink while BF'ing but I don't think enough to be charged with child endangerment and taken to jail.

I also think it's crazy that waitress for fired. She was off the clock, so really her calling police on that woman had nothing to do with her working there, she was just a customer.

Sooo.... Watcha think?? She deserved to go to jail? Waitress deserved to lose her job?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mom-jailed-breastfeeding-drinking-waitress-fired/story?id=21622331

Edited because I'm an idiot and forgot to post the link.

Re: Arrest drinking & breastfeeding

• I'm sorry but this is ridiculous! I don't know a single woman IRL that refrained from breastfeeding after consuming a moderate amount of alcohol. I doubt that I would have done it in public, mostly because I was never comfortable breastfeeding in public to begin with (wish I could have been.) I am glad the sanctimommy waitress was fired. If the woman was falling down drunk or even if she had witnessed her having multiple drinks then it could be more understandable, but she saw empty glasses and made assumptions.

• I could see calling the police if she was clearly intoxicated and the child was in danger, but that wasn't the case here. My nurses even said if you can drive you can nurse, and I can drive on two beers.
  • Loading the player...
  • That is completely crazy! I'm glad that nutjob waitress was fired.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Wow! Crazy.

I don't really think the waitress should have been fired, she called the police out if concern which was overkill but worth firing her?

I do understand that she spoke to her manager so she should have just left it at that.

The person in the wrong here is the police officer who arrested her. He should have shown up, assessed the situation and realized everything was ok.

Unless the waitress made a scene or spoke on behalf of the restaurant which wasn't her place to do so....
  • This happened really close to where I live and I'd read about it in a local medical journal last month before it started making national news. I can't *even* believe it.

I drink a couple of beers or glasses of wine while nursing all the time. I usually have a beer while nursing him between 7:30 and 8 each night. And I've nursed in bars with a beer in front of me. I would literally dare someone to arrest me or kick me out of a restaurant over it.

If I were in the mother's shoes, I'd have made a big effing deal about it long before now. Major social media campaign, called all the TV stations, emailed the newspaper, whatever it took. I absolutely agree the restaurant should have fired her, but also that the police chief should have reprimanded the arresting officers over it publicly.

Ridiculous doesn't even begin to cover it.

• Even better -- a couple of years ago a guy from right outside Toad Suck was arrested for sucking women's toes in public:

https://gawker.com/5840933/arkansas-has-a-toe-sucking-fairy-who-also-maybe-eats-toes

• I know there's more pressing issues here, but come on, you guys.  Toad Suck, Arkansas.  Toad Suck.

Yeah. We have a family friend from Turkey Scratch, AR. And I thought that was bad.
  • PirateMonsterPirateMonster member
    edited March 2014
    braasche1 said:
    cagoldi said:
    I know there's more pressing issues here, but come on, you guys.  Toad Suck, Arkansas.  Toad Suck.
    Yeah. We have a family friend from Turkey Scratch, AR. And I thought that was bad.
    In KY we have Beaver Lick, KY and Big Bone Lick State Park
    I went to your state park, and I bought a mug. I smile when I drink out of it. 

ETA - I went there *to* buy the mug, but I stayed and learned it was the main home of American paleontology. It's actually an awesome park.
  • I feel for the mom and the babe. Who knows how long it was before she was able to pump or feed again while she sat in jail. If it was me, I would have had a drenched bra and shirt by hour 4 and not to mention, did the sober relatives have bottles and pumped milk for that babe?

I'm all for if she was sloshed, the haul her away but it doesn't seem as it that was the case. 

Also, I've been reading comments on the national news boards and anyone that indicates they've had a beer or two and still nursed has had their pants set afire. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"