July 2014 Moms
Options

anyone taking elavil while pregnant?

Im a chronic migraine suffer. And my doctor has just put me back on elavil. Im 24 weeks. How has it worked for you?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Thanks @bewilderingstar‌ my neurologist gave it to me I'll speak to my OB on the 4th of April.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Your welcome :)

ETA
    I suffer from migraines too. I have been just sucking it up since getting pregnant. I will do a small cup of coffee, 750mg of Tylenol and lay my head/neck on an ice pack and try to fall asleep. It seems to be the only thing that helps. 

Good luck!

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• Options
    I suffer from migraines as well (currently home from work because of one). My neuro and ob both said my only options are caffeine, Tylenol, rest and time. I would discuss that with your OB immediately. I had to stop my migraine meds prior to conception because they all are linked to birth defects. Let us know what the doc says!
  • Options
    hgtvmomhgtvmom member
    edited March 2014
    I took it as a older teen and my neuro told me not to get pregnant on it. I've been using magnesium, caffeine and Advil for migraines for the last decade and haven't needed anything prescription in probably 3 or 4 years. Of course, I've had to stop the Advil since getting pregnant. With that, I upped my magnesium to a preventative level, rather than taking it to treat migraines as they start.

ETA as a teenager, I had a head injury that triggered daily migraines. A peds neuro wouldn't prescribe me certain meds because kids can hurt their body using them. Because the peds neuro wasn't working for me, my mom got me in with an adult neuro who didn't normally see anyone under 21. He got my pain under control with a combo of meds, including elavil. So, his words may have been scare tactics - he told me my kids would look like flipper if I got pregnant on those meds. It scared me good and plenty. Just wanted to clarify that to not scare anyone too much. Who knows what would have happened, but I wasn't having a flipper baby, so I was a good girl until I got myself off all meds.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"