December 2012 Moms
Options

Is my kid weird? (Only sort of kidding)

Since Sam is an only child, our house is quiet (most of the time) and since I stay home with him, he gets a lot of "mom time." Like most people, we didn't get out a ton this winter since the weather was horrible - but he's still in various childcare situations throughout the week (at the gym, in the church nursery, and at a bible study I do). In his short life, I've only been "called back" to child care twice when he was having a tough time and was inconsolable - so I'm thinking, "Hey, he does pretty well with this stuff" even if he does cry a bit when he gets dropped off. 

As we've been getting out more and more, I'm noticing that he's getting really overwhelmed in a variety of familiar and unfamiliar situations - whining, crying, wanting to be held, refusing to crawl around or play (even if he's sitting on my lap). In the last week alone this has happened at our house when his 2 and 3 year old cousins came over, at Grammy's house (even though he's been there many times), at "open gym," and today at a friend's house (totally new place, but very quiet - no crazy kids running around). He also freaks out when grandparents visit and they're definitely not strangers - it takes him a good 15-30 minutes to get used to them being here and he watches them like a hawk until he eventually decides they're ok. 

My gut says it's just a temperament thing combined with a stage he's going through (peak separation anxiety maybe?)…but I feel like it's waaaaay more intense than what I see other kids his age doing (or what I remember my nieces ever being like). Anyone else have an extra cautious, touchy kid? I'm going to bring it up at his 15 month check up…but thought I'd throw it out here as well.
Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Is my kid weird? (Only sort of kidding)

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    LO takes time to warm up to people. When grandparents visit (probably every other weekend on average), they joke that her Grandpa isn't allowed to look at her. So do some of my coworkers & students who we see afterschool.

Takes around the 15-30 plus mins range for her to warm up to adults (with the exception of her day care provider who she sees 5 days each week).

Has he been sleeping less or have naps been inconsistent? LO has a harder time when tired, or teething or has a poop brewing...
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it is just separation anxiety but it never hurts to bring it up to your pedi. I think we are going through a peak of it too and it will probably get worse around 2. I make sure to tell dd that I or dh are coming back to get her later every time I leave her because I think she understands and is afraid sometimes that I won't come back. I would just give your LO the time he needs to get comfortable in his environment, it is normal for him to question it and you are his safe place. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I think the worsening you are seeing is probably part of this stage of development. My daughter has been in daycare since she was 4 months old and I take her to music class once a week. When we would go to music class in the past she would be going up to other moms and sitting in people's laps and going up to other kids, but now she stays close to me and cries if I do not hold her until the last 10 min of the 45 min class. It's really weird she acts really shy and then at the end of class she gave another mom a hug. She seems more aware of strangers and new situations. I'm guessing that in a couple of months her outgoing personality will return.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    I vote separation anxiety too! DD has been going to the nursery at church since she was 6 months old, but for the past month or so, she doesn't last more than about 15-20 mins before they come get us because she won't stop crying. If one of us stays in the nursery with her, she's fine...she runs around and plays and doesn't pay any attention to us, but if we try to leave she freaks again...she also does it on mornings when I have to take her to my mom's house to drop her off (she's ok if we're out in public though)....

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Options
    Thanks ladies - sounds like he's in good company. 

And…he woke up in the middle of the night and puked last night. UGH! So, maybe he's just been especially off this week and not feeling well.
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"