3rd Trimester
Options

Did you know?

Child seat safety

When using a car seat and just the seat belt you should pull the shoulder strap out all the way when buckling. (As far as it will go)

It will then start clicking as it goes back in for you to tighten the lap belt. This locks the shoulder strap in place for the ride! If you don't hear clicking you didn't get it pulled far enough out.

Re: Did you know?

• Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited March 2014
    I didn't think mine did either but it does after I got it out all the way. It is an 06 HHR

You have to pull the shoulder strap out until it just won't go anymore first.

I imagine there are some cars that don't do this though.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I definitely prefer the LATCH system myself also but I thought this was good info. I'm on my third and didn't know you were supposed to do this each time if a seatbelt was used. Glad I know now.

I rarely used the seatbelt until recently
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I followed our car's owners manual, and it didn't say anything about doing this.  Having said that, we installed it in the middle, and I don't think the middle seat has an inertial reel like the side seats do?
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It is only if it is a vehicle with the shoulder strap.

I got this information from a fireman I work with that went to an 8 hour safety seat install class :)
  • Options
    It is only if it is a vehicle with the shoulder strap. I got this information from a fireman I work with that went to an 8 hour safety seat install class :)
    Yeah, our middle seat has a shoulder strap, I just don't think that shoulder strap is connected via an inertial reel.  I'll have to check when H gets home with the car.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This applies for vehicles that lock at the retractor but some lock at the latch plate.  Also, not every car makes an audible sound.  The thing to remember (sound or not) is that if it locks at the retractor, you can't just pull it as hard as you can and think it locked - that's what happens in an accident.  You want it constantly locked, which means pulling the belt to the end and slowly letting it back in until it reaches the level of tightness you need to achieve a secure install.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    My sister just told me that the latch system in cars is only good till LO is 35 lbs, after that it is recommended that the seatbelt be used. I guess the reasoning is that seatbelts are designed to hold the weight of an adult in a crash, and the latch system tops out at 65 lbs (car seats and bases combined can weigh 15-30 lbs, + the weight of the child).

My older car doesn't have the latch system and I always thought it was somehow not as safe to use the seatbelts. After hearing this I changed my mind.

Good to know about pulling the seatbelt all the way out. I've been doing that all along just because it's easier for threading through the seat and base without the seatbelt trying to retract the whole time, now I'm glad I do!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We just used the latch system.
  • Options
    RebeccaY1 said:
    We just used the latch system.
    But like PP said there is a weight limit on your LATCH so there will come a day when you will have to use the seatbelt to install the seat. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"