Cloth Diapering
Options

Ammonia

Help! Having ammonia issues with DS2's diapers. He has an ammonia burn on his bum that I can't get rid of. He won't let me put diaper creamor ointment of any sort on it. I let him run around naked whenever we are home and have been putting him in pullups.

It seems to be his night time diapers that are causing the problem. They are kawaii goodnight heavy wetters and have 2 MF inserts.

My wash routine is:
cold water prewash without detergent
Warm wash/warm rinse (or hot wash/cold rinse, those are my only two choices) with 1-2 tbsp of Nellie's laundry detergent, depending on how many dipes I'm washin (I have a 2 month old in cloth too and his dipes are not having this issue.) 

Recently I stripped with RLR and 1/2 cup vinegar on the rinse but it didn't seem to help much. I've also tried switching to Tide original and using more soap.

I get his diaper off as soon as he wakes up, but this morning his bottom and penis were so red and his ammonia burn won't go away and he kept complaining that it hurt. :(

I have a few extra MF inserts that are new, I was thinking about just tossing the other ones. They aren't that old though, maybe 6 months? I bought these night time diapers recently. Anything else I should try or is it just time for new inserts.

A
imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

Re: Ammonia

• Options
    Get some BacOut and soak them in a sink of hot water with a few squirts each morning.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Can you switch your pre-wash to warm?

Also, have you tried Grandma El's or Waxelene?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, do hot wash/cold rinse and then an extra rinse to get rid of any detergent build up

• Options
    What do you mean by he "won't let" you put anything on it?
    He gets really upset. I still do it but to really get it on him I have to have DH hold him down because he kicks so much.

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 

• Options
    And if you have hard water vinegar will make it worse.
    We have average water..not hard but not soft.

A
    imageimageimage

• Options

Yes. No, haven't heard of those.

A
    imageimageimage

• Options
    tjkdlhb said:
    Also, do hot wash/cold rinse and then an extra rinse to get rid of any detergent build up
    OK, wasn't sure if warm/warm was better than hot/cold. I do always do an extra rinse.

A
    imageimageimage

• Options

Yes. No, haven't heard of those.

A
    Just looked them up. I alternate use of CJs BUTTer, Honest diaper cream, Coconut Oil or, if I have to, A&D or Boudreauxs. I put him in a pullup if I have to use those last two.

A
    imageimageimage

• Options
    My LO had a place like this I believe.  In the mornings, I would wash her well with a cloth wipe and water, then dry her off and used coconut oil.  The butt spritz is a really good idea!
  • Options
    What do you mean by he "won't let" you put anything on it?
    He gets really upset. I still do it but to really get it on him I have to have DH hold him down because he kicks so much.

A

My DD did this, and I made a spray with coconut oil, water, and some TTO and GSE to spray on her bum. She wouldn't let me go near her with any cream of any kind, but she really enjoyed having her butt misted with water.
    Into+the+Kitty - GSE?? TTO is tea tree oil, right?

That is a great idea and I bet he will like it.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    GSE= grapefruit seed extract
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    If the rash is especially stubborn, you may need more of a barrier than most cd-safe creams can provide. The beeswax in the Honest diaper cream or in Waxelene may help. Grandma El's is really good for this purpose.
  • Options
    Ok, but don't we need to address the ammonia issue? All the cream in the world won't help if it's detergent buildup, which is usually what causes ammonia right?
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    TJ1979 said:
    Ok, but don't we need to address the ammonia issue? All the cream in the world won't help if it's detergent buildup, which is usually what causes ammonia right?
    Yes!  Or pee not being washed out properly.  I had trouble for a while when I switched to an HE washer... until I started soaking in the morning with BacOut.  I add water to the machine through the detergent slot too.

• Options
    I don't mean to ignore the ammonia issue. I just feel like PPs have adequately addressed it, at least enough to give OP some things to try. In the meantime her poor LO still has a sore bum.
  • Options
    I think the dipes need a hot water strip to get out my build up. Then start rinsing ON dipes, with bac out if you want.
    But I don't see why build up in the MF would cause a rash... It shouldn't be touching LOs skin.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    TJ1979 said:
    I think the dipes need a hot water strip to get out my build up. Then start rinsing ON dipes, with bac out if you want. But I don't see why build up in the MF would cause a rash... It shouldn't be touching LOs skin.
    They aren't touching his skin, but I think the ammonia is burning it :(. He actually doesn't have much of a rash, but he does have an open sore that I can't get to heal bc it keeps getting reaggravated when he poops.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Do you feel like any of the creams are protecting the sore/ helping it heal moreso than the others? Have you been to the Dr. about it?
  • Options
    An open sore and ammonia burn are lot the same thing. I'm confused, which is it?
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I think there can be different severities of ammonia burn. Just like with regular burns. So something mild could just be some redness to the skin, which goes away with some air times or a bit of ointment, or you could have more stubborn redness, which would be more moderate. Something like an open sore would indicate a more severe degree of burn.
  • Options
    But an open sore does not necessarily mean ammonia. E had blisters right now that we think came from the MF touching her. I just want to make sure we're getting a clear picture. When someone says ammonia burn and red bum, I think of the big red ammonia bum burns you hear about. But that's not the same as an open wound, which may or may not be caused by ammonia, but would definitely be exacerbated by ammonia.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    freezorburnfreezorburn member
    edited March 2014
    @TJ1979 you're right, the open sore might be caused by something else. That's why I asked if OP had taken her LO to see a doctor.

Either way, it sounds like she at least needs a stronger cream/ointment for wound protection.
  • Options
    TJ1979 said:
    But an open sore does not necessarily mean ammonia. E had blisters right now that we think came from the MF touching her. I just want to make sure we're getting a clear picture. When someone says ammonia burn and red bum, I think of the big red ammonia bum burns you hear about. But that's not the same as an open wound, which may or may not be caused by ammonia, but would definitely be exacerbated by ammonia.
    @TJ1979 and @freezorburn

He did have a red bum a couple of times but we started getting the diaper off him faster. Sometime in that process he got this open sore, near to where the elastic is around his leg, on the inside area, but not where it rubs). It definitely hurts him. I don't think the elastic is too tight. It's been there for close to 2-3 weeks. We haven't been to the doc yet though I've been thinking about it. I guess I keep hoping it will clear up but obviously its not.

I don't think anything has helped more than others. Its tough to get anything on him at all. I don't think it hurts him when I do put it on, but he THINKS it will hurt so I have to trick him to get it on him. I'm very diligent about putting stuff on the sore, but I know DH isn't.

A
    imageimageimage

• Options
    That's a tough area to keep clean and dry.

Since this has been going on as long as it has, I would definitely make an appointment with your pediatrician.

My non-medical opinion is that something like a liquid bandage could help but obviously you wouldn't use something like that on a baby without the supervision of a doctor. And if the wound is infected I'm a bit unclear on what is okay to use on a baby, so again -- get real medical advice.

Until you can get in to see the doctor I would use whatever you have that you think best protects the wound. I don't know if the Honest is waxy enough, as I don't have experience with it -- you be the judge. I think A+D would be good, but obviously use a liner to keep it from getting on your diapers. And tell your H that if he had an open wound on his tender parts that he would want to be consistent about taking care of it! 

I hope your LO feels better soon. Once his skin is all healed and healthy, the CJ's or coconut oil can be helpful keeping it happy. But right now you need some bigger guns.
  • Options
    If it's an open sore the zinc oxide creams might be burning him. I would go get some waxelene. And use coconut oil (preferably with gse under it). But yeah, if it's been there for a couple weeks and it's not getting better I'd take him in. If you are having issues with the diapers you don't need to get them off of him faster, you need to fix the dipe issue.
    I haven't been using any zinc oxide creams on it...mostly coconut oil lately. I'm going to make an appointment with the pedi. He's been in pullups out and about and naked at home also for the past couple of weeks bc I haven't wanted the dipes to hurt him any further. I got the Bac-Out from amazon today so I'll start working on getting the ammonia out of the dipes so they won't aggravate him futher.

A
    imageimageimage

• Options
    jennyelfjennyelf member
    edited March 2014
    When LO was around 18 months we started having troubles with ammonia. We were also using MF inserts in our night time diapers. We switched to bamboo flats. They are bulkier, but whatever buildup we were getting in our MF inserts isn't building up in our flats and we haven't had any issues since.

We also have used Rockin' Green Ammonia bounce and switched to Tide for washing. Those also may have helped. But they only made a little difference with the MF inserts. The biggest change definintely came when we switched to flats.
  • Options
    Brought DS2 to the pedi today and got some antibiotic ointment for his bum. Hoping that will clear it up. Bac out arrived so I will try that on the inserts and see if it helps. I do have extra Bamboo flats so I can also double those up and see if they will be absorbent enough for night.

A
    imageimageimage

• Options
    rowanthefrogrowanthefrog member
    edited March 2014
    tjkdlhb said:
    Get some BacOut and soak them in a sink of hot water with a few squirts each morning.
    tjkdlhb 

Clarify what you mean please. I got the Bac-Out and I'm currently soaking all my MF and hemp inserts in a sink of hot water with some squirts. But "each morning" you mean when I take them off, if they smell like ammonia, to soak in Bac-Out before washing? 

A
    imageimageimage

• Options
    The thing about overnight diapers is the urine sits around.  When urine sits around it forms ammonia crystals, which are tougher to get out than just urine.  That can lead to ammonia build up/burn.  You know you have ammonia crystals if when the diaper gets wet it IMMEDIATELY smells like ammonia, because those old crystals are getting reactivated.  Soaking (with or without bacout) helps break down those crystals so they come out in the wash.

That's my two cents, at least.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    and microfiber, because it's made up of thousands of little tiny tubes, is definitely worse about trapping ammonia than other fibers.  So switching to a natural fiber may help. 
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    OK, thanks all! I soaked all my MF in the Bac-Out and will soak the overnight inserts from now on.

A
    imageimageimage

• Options
    @rowanthefrog how is your LO doing? Did the ointment from the pedi help?
  • Options
    @rowanthefrog how is your LO doing? Did the ointment from the pedi help?
    Yes it did! His sore is almost gone. I soaked all my MF and we're going to try putting them back on him tonight and hope the ammonia is gone!

A
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Glad to hear he is getting better! Fingers crossed that the ammonia problem is also resolved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"