Preemies

Leaky Diapers

Ian was born 3 weeks ago Tuesday and was just released from the NICU on Monday March 17th.  While in the NICU we used Pampers preemie small.  They seemed to work well for him so we bought a couple of packs to use at home.  When he was released he weighed 5 lb 2 oz.  The preemie Pampers appear to still fit him well.  On the second day after arriving home, we noticed he started having leaks up the back and most diaper changes also required an outfit change.  We thought maybe we should move up to newborn so we moved up and still used Pampers.  Still had the same problem so we moved on to neworn Huggies.  It doesn't happen as often, but it still happens. He sleeps on his back and somehow the pee makes it to his back and runs up his back.  We at first thought we weren't getting the diapers tight enough because this didn't happen at the hospital.  After thinking about it we realized that we are the ones who changed him the last week of his stay and it never happened. His belly is now rounding out as he is gaining weight but his little legs are still on the thinner side.  The only thing we can think of is that maybe the diapers just aren't fitting well.  we hate for him to be so uncomfortable and would love any advice that would help. 

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

Re: Leaky Diapers

• I would move up a size and possible to another brand. Try Luvs, pampers, or even a generic brand.

• Try size 1! We went straight from preemie huggies to size 1 pampers. Baby may have outgrown the absorbency of the diapers before the actual weight/size. Don't be scared to overlap the tabs. You can't make a disposable diaper too tight!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Point the penis down. Seriously. That's it.

• It really isn't possible to avoid blow outs sometimes.  Try different brands and sizes and change your LO constantly... Those NICU nurses are experts and you'll get better.  Overlapping tabs is fine. Borrow some newborn cloth diapers--they worked great for us.  Rejoice that enough is going in that it's making a mess.
  • Since switching from preemie disposables to cloth, we haven't had a single leak or blowout (in 4 months of use), whereas that seemed to be an at least daily occurrence with one of them in disposables. If you are interested, I can share what we use for a newborn cloth system.
    Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
  • Yup. I swear by pampers swaddlers. I'd say try a size 1 and double over the tab part in the front. If it doesn't solve it, you can always keeep them for use later. Is it an issue of needing to be changed more frequently? Or one pee and it's all over? I've used huggies when he's in between sizes but we started having blowout issues so I stopped buying them. Good luck!!

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • I agree with PP, turn Mr. Winkie down. We had issues with that a few times.  

Beckett Rilee & Caitlyn Leigh born 9-21-13 @ 27w due to PPROM

• We used Pampers Swaddlers in NB then moved to 1. We're still using them in size 2 now.  Only time we had a problem was when DH put the diaper on way too lose and she was lowriding.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Married Sept 2008
    ~~TTC Nov 2010~~

IUI #2: 1/21/13-100mg Clomid(CD3-7)(8M post wash) + progesterone= BFP!! EDD 10/13/13
    Beta #1=81.1 Beta #2=134.5 Beta #3=58.1 #4=2369 WTH?!-Not sure if its viable
    2/21/13 - Went to RE expecting the worse and saw the flutter of the heart.To God be the Glory!!

5/29 - It's a Girl!!
    8/21/13 - Naomi born at 32w3d by csection due to Pre-E
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~ 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    imagephoto A789AD50-EAFE-4955-A617-02358EF02DBE_zpsbxkk1n87.jpg
    My Wonder Woman!

• I agree with it pointing down but I don't think thats the issue if you're leaking out the back. The issue would be leaking up front if it were pointed up. :-)

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • I have changed my nephews over the years and never worried about which way their penis was pointing and it was never an issue.  I talked to my sisters and they said their boys pointed down anyway so maybe that was why there was never an issue. DS naturally points up so since we started pointing down, no leaks up his back.  Still not sure why it is up his back and not front, but problem is solved so I won't question it.  Thank you ladies :)

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

• Since switching from preemie disposables to cloth, we haven't had a single leak or blowout (in 4 months of use), whereas that seemed to be an at least daily occurrence with one of them in disposables. If you are interested, I can share what we use for a newborn cloth system.

Same here! We started with pampers swaddlers preemie, then moved to the NB size. Huggies didn't work for them. We tried a few different kinds of cloth diapers, and are now using gDiapers with Lorelei and haven't had a single leak! Amelia is still too little for the gDiapers so she is still in swaddlers for now, but I can't wait until she is big enough to use the cloth ones!
    TTC since June, 2011 with anovulatory PCOS, 1 blocked tube, and mild MFI
    3rd cycles clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
    4th cycles letrozole/Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 = BFP! Twins due 2/5/2014
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"