March 2013 Moms

Resale etiquette

I was the last among my friends to get pregnant, so I received tons of hand-me-downs for free, including some large items like a bassinet and jumperoos as well as boxes upon boxes of clothes. I've recently placed most of these outgrown items in a large local consignment sale and am making a pretty size able profit from it. I feel guilty... Should I give my friends part of the proceeds?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Resale etiquette

• I am in a similar situation where I have lots of hand-me-downs and a mother-in-law who loves to shop.  I feel like I am obligated to keep these things in the family but honestly, they don't need it.  I plan to consign things and not worry about it.  I know that doesn't answer your question, but I vote no sharing of proceeds. 
  • Having handed down a lot of stuff myself, I wouldn't worry. If I saw a friend co-signing stuff I had given them, I'd assume any $$ they may would be poured back into their kids, since that seems to be where 90% of my extra goes nowadays. I sell clothes and buy bigger clothes, I sell a jumperoo and get an older-toddler toy to keep their interest, I sell a stroller to upgrade to something that suits my current needs better.

And, in the off chance you decide to use it for date night with the hubby, hey... that's just smart spending right there. ;-)

If your friends gave it to you with no intention of getting it back, no worries.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If the people were getting rid of the stuff because they were brining it to goodwill or the dump then I think it's fine for you to do whatever with it. One persons trash is another persons treasure. If they gave it to you because they thought you really needed it then I think it's in poor taste to make a profit on it.
  • I think it's fine to sell it.  The money I've made selling DDs stuff goes right back to her somehow or goes in her bank account. 
  • I always just make sure to ask "do you want this back?" when anyone gives us anything... Most people just want to get rid of stuff, and are happy to see it reused- one way or another- but just double checking never hurts.

imageimageimage
  • Once a gift like that is given, it is yours to do with as you please.  My cousin has twins about 6 months older than my daughter and she's given us boatloads of clothes.  When I consign our clothes at some point, I plan to use some of the money and get them a really nice gift card to Target or a kids store so they can splurge on something for themselves.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"