Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

7 week old growth spurt? Soooooooo tired!

We found out DS (7 weeks today) has a milk allergy 2 weeks ago and we made the decision to stop bf and he was put on Nutramigen by Enfamil. All of his symptoms have seemed to clear up. However, since Sunday he refuses to nap unless I am holding him and has gone from eating every 3-4 hours to 1.5- 2. How do I know if this is a growth spurt or if it is a formula issue?

Has anyone experienced this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 7 week old growth spurt? Soooooooo tired!

• Options
    7 weeks isn't normally a growth spurt. Could be a wonderweek though as there is one they hit at about 8 weeks from their due date.
  • Options
    Formula issue would be gassiness, diarrhea, vomiting (not spit up, projectile vomiting entire bottle), diaper rash, irritability... basically all the same things that happened with the milk allergy. Just note that, in my experience, it takes a good week for a previously breastfed baby to transition to formula. They'll likely be gassy and irritable for that time if they're having a bit of trouble getting used to formula.

To me it sounds like your LO is going through a growth spurt. Growth spurts don't happen at precise times for every baby. So it's very possible the 6 week spurt is actually at the 7 week mark for your LO. Other possibility is LO is getting sick - mine ate a lot right before he got sick.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How did you determine he has a milk allergy? My son will be 7 weeks on Wednesday, and we have problems with "reflux", but mainly it's just spitting up and he can't be laid flat. I nursed and bottle fed breast milk for approx 5.5 weeks, but also had to supplement with formula at 2.5 weeks. We tried different formulas thinking that wasn't helping the spitting up, but he even spit up the breast milk at the end.  But we still have terrible issues with gas and upset tummy and constipation. Then when he does go, it's runny/sticky. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    If you're considering thickening the formula we ended up using rice cereal because of reflux. one amazing side effect is she nearly sleeping through the night now waking usually for only one feeding
  • Options
    He was diagnosed with reflux and was put on medication. He is doing so much better and has actually been put on normal formula with no issues. I am happy that he does not have a milk allergy (and the formula is so much cheaper) but am so annoyed about the misdiagnosis. 

Thanks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How did you determine he has a milk allergy? My son will be 7 weeks on Wednesday, and we have problems with "reflux", but mainly it's just spitting up and he can't be laid flat. I nursed and bottle fed breast milk for approx 5.5 weeks, but also had to supplement with formula at 2.5 weeks. We tried different formulas thinking that wasn't helping the spitting up, but he even spit up the breast milk at the end.  But we still have terrible issues with gas and upset tummy and constipation. Then when he does go, it's runny/sticky. Any thoughts?
    I noticed that when I fed my baby breast milk AND formula...he'd spit up a lot.  So I gave up the breast milk after a month.  Plus, the demand was becoming much greater than the supply. Having him on just formula has been better on his tummy.  Although, his poop is gross now!  With breast milk it was very little and runny.  Now with formula his poops are green and thick.  Eww!  Oh well, at least he's not spewing anymore and getting a good nights sleep!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"