Military Families

PCSing to Ft. Carson

We are PCSing to Fort Carson in a couple months and we are very excited. I have a few questions though…

Firstly, we just found out which unit DH will be in and looking at Google maps it seems to be in a newer area down by Butts Airfield. I had previously been looking at houses in the Stetson Hills area, but those now seem like they'd be way too far. I moved my search down to Fountain and google maps is still telling me it'd be a 20-25 minute drive. Is that the shortest commute we can get without living on post? And what is Fountain like? Where we live right now we are 20-25 minutes to target and about 25-30min to the mall with traffic. Would living in Fountain be the same story?

I don't think we'll live on post, but just in case – is Baja Broadband the only internet provider on post? I've read horrible things about them and I think bad internet would be a deal breaker for us.

When DH takes his 10 day house hunting leave, we would like to also do some sightseeing. Would adjusting to the altitude (we are coming from Georgia) hinder us or our kids? We don't plan on hiking Pike's Peak or anything like that - maybe just a walk around Garden of the Gods and trip to the zoo or something along those lines.

I'm also looking for recommendations of a pediatrician who accepts Tricare Standard.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PCSing to Ft. Carson

• MiahTMiahT member
    I can't help you with your questions regarding Fort Carson but we just PCS'd to Buckley AFB in Aurora, CO from Georgia last year and I had issues adjusting to the altitude for several weeks.  However, I'm in horrible shape.  DH seemed fine after a day or two and our son (six or seven months old at the time) didn't have much trouble.  I would suggest putting the Garden of the Gods walk off for two or three days to make sure you're good and then go for it if you're not having any problems.  It's been many, many years since I've been there, but it is beautiful and well worth the trip.  Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have a buddy stationed at Ft Carson, and he lives over near the World Arena. Nice area and he says the drive is not bad at all. There are some new constructions around Cheyenne Mountain that might be worth looking into. I don't know what your price range is like.
    Married since *7/13/2012* to my soulmate!

Surprise! BFP 3/7/2013, Missed MC, D&C @ 7w5d
    BFP 12/10/2013, Natural MC @ 5w1d

BFP 2/15/2014...Katia Elizabeth is due 10/23/2014!
     BabyFruit Ticker
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You will need to live in the southern Colorado Springs area, Fountain, Security, or Widefield to have the shortest commute to the base. Stetson Hills would be quite a commute. 

Drink a lot of water when you are visiting. That is one of the best ways to avoid altitude sickness.  The zoo is in the southern part of the Springs and is very hilly so expect some upward trekking with that. It is a smaller zoo but nice.  Garden of the Gods is what I consider to be the northern part of the central area of town. Beautiful area. Lots of walking there so again, be prepared with that.  Listen to your body and take it easy.

I lived in the Springs for 12yr. Met my DH there. We lived off base (townhomes near Hancock Expressway and Academy) but our medical care was on base.  I don't remember if Dr. Ming was Ft. Carson or Ft. Riley (I think it is Riley though). If he is at Ft. Carson and your medical care is on base, try to get him for a pediatrician.  Otherwise, we haven't lived there in a few years so I have no other recommendations other then Dr. Weary for gynecological stuff (but he is civilian located fairly north if I am remembering correctly).
  • We've been here for more than 4yrs and love it! We chose to live in Pueblo, so that we can get more land for our $$, and we still only have a 30 min drive. Our biggest thing when we were looking at housing, was did we want interstate travel (I-25) or in-town travel. Ultimately, we love having over an acre of land, corner lot and a 30min straight commute. feel free to pm if you have any questions, we used ahrn and zillow.com to search for properties in certain areas :)

• Thanks ladies, very helpful!

One more question - how does preschool work there? I've googled a bit and from what I gather it's different in each district and most of them you have to pay out of pocket. Is that correct?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"