February 2014 Moms

Thoughts on this... RE "normal" birth

I saw this on my FB news feed a few minutes ago. A friend "liked" it and I do not know the OP. There are so many things that I want to say to this person, mainly that my two sons would not be alive if it wasn't for modern medicine and my wonderful doctors... but anyway... thoughts?

"Birth is a normal function of EVERY female's biology. Like all other mammals our bodies have the ability to bring our babies into this world safely and normally. Why does society believe that we are any different than all other mammals in laboring and birthing? Why do human mothers get treated so poorly in labor and birth (and I would argue every other aspect of reproductive health) when we would never do the same to other mammals? Why do we think a chimp/cat/ferret/elephant/etc can birth and nourish and care for her babies but we can not? If we did cervical checks, electronic fetal monitoring, restricted access to food and water, restricted movement and invited strangers in to observe and touch a laboring cat, dog, elephant, giraffe, bear, you name it...it would disrupt the process of that mother's labor and put both her AND her baby(ies) at risk! WE ARE MAMMALS! Wake up! Obstetricians do not KNOW about NORMAL birth. They apply the same ROUTINE interventions to all women in their care and play clean up when *those interventions precipitate complications.* They are extremely skilled and valuable for the treatment of pathology: abnormal labors and births...they do NOT have the skill or understanding for caring for a mother having a NORMAL birth. Reclaim your births! Protect yourself and your baby, learn the beautiful and joyful truth about how normal birth is!"
#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Thoughts on this... RE "normal" birth

• I actually blocked posts from this person bc I don't want to see things like that.... Actually it is more bc I want to comment but would be snarky... lol

• Loading the player...
  • @afinegal sorry to hear about the puppies :(

I agree with wanting better odds!

Both my boys would have been born at 29 weeks w/o intervention and my 2nd wouldn't be here without fertility treatments.

• The author clearly has never been in a real life-or-death situation while in L&D. Normal birth(hell, normal pregnancy) would not have ended well for my son.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In some breeds of dogs, the normal is c-sections. Frenchies and Boston terriers have big heads and tiny hips so vaginal delivery isn't safe for the puppies or the mothers. (Also, these types of dogs are really top heavy and are not good swimmers. Can't keep their heads up and can drown.)

I hope she means "ideal birth". C-sections aren't ideal, but I'm thankful for them (I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for my mom getting a section)!

J. Jackson

Feb '14 March Siggy Challenge: Face Slaps

Daisypath - (SVGA)
    Lilypie - (xd4F)
    Lilypie - (jQcs)
  • I would have certainly lost my first in a "normal" birth and possibly this third one as well. Both had unknown complications inside- DS had swallowed meconium and was in distress- ended up with a collapsed lung. Vaginal birth would have been disastrous. This LO had a tight true knot in her cord that had been cutting off her food supply and restricting growth for the last few weeks of pregnancy. Labor and vaginal birth would have further constricted those vessels and cut off her oxygen. Thank God she was a RCS and I never went into labor! I'm all for those who want to deliver at home- to each her own. But these were 2 totally different unpredictable and unexpected circumstances in which I am truly glad to live in the age of modern medicine!

• Maybe she should just start watching national geographic or go to Africa and spend some time in the bush observing animals especially during birthing season. I have first hand seen animals die during childbirth and not surviving due to something going wrong during labor.

There was a elephant baby that died during labor as his mothers uterus positioning was not right while giving birth. This was in a controlled elephant orphanage and by the time they realized what was happening it was too late. I also once saw a wilderbeast give birth but there was something wrong with the calf and it would not stand up no matter how much the mother licked it and tired to move it. It just was not breathing right. The mother had no choice but to let it die as it could not walk. Would a medical intervention like oxygen or vet supported birth save the calf- Absolutely!

Just becasue you dont witness it everyday does not mean everything is nature is smooth. The chances of surival for babies for all mammals in the wild are meek. Forget predators, even a small wound completely delibitates the animals. If she thinks human life is not worth saving then of course she can continue to advocate for the so called natural birth. Dumb ass!!
  • People that have this viewpoint make me stabby. My mom had a 21 week loss in 1982. She had to have medical intervention (cerclage+c-sections) in order to have each of her 5 kids. I had a 20 week loss, same reason. I did have a 'normal' delivery this time, but had LOTS of medical intervention to make it through the pregnancy. Without science, not only would my daughter not exist, I wouldn't exist. My siblings wouldn't exist. My mom would have had multiple second tri losses, as I would have.

No baby's life is worth risking for the 'totally natural' experience. That is ridiculous.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Just call me Abby. Abby Normal.

I'll take my (mostly) smooth, medically assisted births any day, TYVM.
  • I pushed for four hours, her head never even got close to crowning. Her head was stuck in my pelvis so bad she had a dent in the middle of her head, without a c section she would of died.

I hate people who think like that. We have access to medicine, why wouldn't we use it to make sure out babies are healthy and us too?

Dumb.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think these people are so out of touch because they have never lived in a time or place where death during child birth was a regular occurrence. If they had any idea how awful it was to be pregnant and/or give birth 500 years ago, they would be kissing the asses of all the physicians and scientists who have made our birth experiences more sanitary, less painful and much, much more safe.
  • Ugh! I hope when this person does have a baby (and I doubt she has) there are some minor complications. I don't want to wish anything bad on an innocent baby of course but this woman just needs a reality check!!! Grrrr

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Just did some research. She has 3 kids and is studying or already is a midwife.... had some more posts like this on her Fb page...

• I went into things hoping for a "normal" birth... but I am very glad that I had the option of medical interventions!

I was in labor for 36 hours... then I pushed for 3 hours. LO's head got stuck hard in my pelvis. If I hadn't been at a hospital where I had access to good medical care to get to caesarian that I needed, it is likely that I and/or LO would not have survived.
    Yay for science and medicine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"