Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Help !! 6 weeks old , sleeps in lap and nowhere else.

My dear 6 weeks Old daughter likes to sleep in my lap or on my shoulder and nowhere else. It's been very challenging considering they sleep for so many hours at this age. All my chores and especially pumping / expressing milk ( I breastfeed exclusively) have all become secondary ( had minor mastitis). How do I get her to sleep in her bassinet or next to me on bed ? She cries, yells , screams and chokes herself ( when tried to put her in her bassinett or on bed) to an extent where you end up holding her helplessly.

Re: Help !! 6 weeks old , sleeps in lap and nowhere else.

• I had that experience with my daughter 3 years ago &, to maintain my sanity, I started letting her sleep in her swing.  I buckled her in & put pillows all around it, just in case she could fall out, & it was great!!  I know it isn't the typical way for a baby to sleep, but in my opinion, it's a great way for a baby to sleep! Plus, they're kind of sitting up so if they spit up, there's less risk of aspirating, and I think it's a good position to keep pressure off of a baby's head & avoid any flattening due to being in one position too long.

Good luck, & keep us posted on how you're doing!

Me: 42, DH: 43. We are so grateful to have a 2yr old daughter, conceived naturally after 3 miscarriages & no treatments (our Dr. gave us 1 more month to try on our own before advacing to IVF, & we conceived her naturally in January 2010)! Trying since April 2011 without sucess....MD said we were both "fine" & that if it wasn't happening, it was a chromosomal issue. Finally started Follistim 225mcg injections with an Ovidrel trigger November 2012. Bleeding 11 days post Ovidrel on November 25th. Starting the whole lab/Ultrasound/Follistim cycle again on November 27th...
  • My DD is 10wks old today (just slept 6hrs and 44 mins!!) so happy ! Since the day I brought her home she only wanted to sleep on my shoulder or upright on my chest. Found out she has reflux when she was 7-8wks but it wasn't typical as all of her reflux come into her sinus cavity. Anyway she has only slept in her Fisher Price Rocker. I can't get her to sleep in a bassinet or any other flat surface. Maybe your LO is having some reflux issues......?
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • @ChrMoo‌ Sorry to hijack the thread, but how'd the reflux/sinus issue get diagnosed? What symptoms did she have?
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • how about a nice tight swaddle?? my girl is 4 weeks and very similar but luckily I can get a few hours in RnP at night.. we are able to get 15-20 in swing during day -- baby wearing is the only way I can get anythjng done...this is my first so I can't offer much .. but i would say swaddle and try to differentiate bt the hungry/really upset cry and the kinda bored/come get me cry.. if I hear the latter I make sure I try to distract her--touch/kiss/soothing voice and sometimes within a minute or two she is calm again.. I am not plannin on worrying until we get past 8 weeks! good luck !!!
  • What about trying to have her nap in a baby carriers so you can do some chores around the. House while she is strapped onto you.
    image image image Visit The Nest!
  • Both of my kids went through this.

I wore them a lot during this phase.

I also let them sleep on a Boppy on the floor. Not the best but it worked great and I was always up and around to keep an eye on them.

Otherwise, carseat, bouncer, swing etc. Some kids also like a lot of movement to sleep.

• I ditto baby wearing or the swing (though pillows all around doesn't make sense? You should always strap baby into the five point harness...).

@amalloy1‌ : don't you strap baby in?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• rjnp78 said:

how about a nice tight swaddle?? my girl is 4 weeks and very similar but luckily I can get a few hours in RnP at night.. we are able to get 15-20 in swing during day -- baby wearing is the only way I can get anythjng done...this is my first so I can't offer much .. but i would say swaddle and try to differentiate bt the hungry/really upset cry and the kinda bored/come get me cry.. if I hear the latter I make sure I try to distract her--touch/kiss/soothing voice and sometimes within a minute or two she is calm again.. I am not plannin on worrying until we get past 8 weeks! good luck !!!

This! My son wouldn't sleep without being held until I started swaddling him. Made a huge difference! I also second baby wearing. I couldn't get anything done during the day if I didn't wear him!
  • My son is 3 weeks and would not sleep in his bassinet, and gets fussy with the hiccups when we lie him flat. I bought a fisher price rocker that also vibrates and it works perfectly. The baby is placed in a semi upright position which helps if your baby has reflux issues. It is also light weight and portable so you can move it to different rooms in your house. Swaddling also works well for us, but not every time. I am only a FTM but i would suggest trying some different things and be flexible to see what works for you and your baby. My son also sleeps well on his stomach during the day when I can keep an eye in him and this position seems to help him pass gas when he is fussy. Hope this helps :)
  • thanks for all your replies. I started swaddling her more reqgularly, hopefully that should help. Also , looking a some rockers (RnP)...suggestions welcome  (with a link to the ptoduct if you have one).

Thanks again....
  • You could also try a heating pad on the surface where you want her to sleep - but remove the pad before you put her down! White noise helps, too. Also make sure you burp her really well before putting her down! 

Reflux symptoms: crying during a feed, or 15-20 minutes of crying after eating; arching her back after eating like she's in pain; really bad breath; forceful vomiting after eating (more than just spit up). If you're concerned, definitely contact your pediatrician. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"