Breastfeeding
Options

Breastfeeding and solids

Hello! My LO is 6.5 months old and we started solids at 6 months. We have been giving him 1 solid meal a day, mostly veggies. We skipped cereal. We aren't really on any form of schedule yet. We have been doing BLW and some purées. Anyways, at his 6 month pedi appt she made me feel like I am doing this all wrong. The dr wants him on 3 solid meals a day: cereal and fruit for breakfast, meat and veggie for lunch, meat veggie and fruit for dinner. That seems like a lot of solids to me! I know that I have to eventually work up to this, but I thought that would be closer to a year when solids would be a more vital part of the diet. My LO is small, only 14 lbs, so I am concerned about replacing breastfeeding with solids. Doesn't breastmilk have more calories per oz? I hae worked so hard to make breastfeeding work so I am nervous about overdoing the solids and having my son really cut back on nursing. What does yor solid schedule look like? Do I need to step up his solids and not stress about milk intake?

Re: Breastfeeding and solids

• Options
    RDK24RDK24 member
    Like PP, I'm no doctor, but we've been roughly following what our pedi suggested and it's working for us …

Baby should get (on average) 24-32 oz of milk a day until 1 year. That's the most important, so solids should be adjusted as needed. Our LO is 8 months and gets cereal and a fruit or veggie twice a day. If I find that she's nursing less/not as interested in bottles of breast milk, I adjust the timing of the solids so she's hungry for all. 

GL!
  • Options
    totally agree with PPs. solids shouldn't be the main source of a baby's nutrition until they are 1 year ("food before one is just for fun").

we did BLW with DS as well, and we started out just giving him a fruit or vegetable to explore while we ate, once a day. then we upped it to 2x a day, gradually adding in more solids as he became more adept at feeding himself and showed interest in what we were eating and wanted a taste. so as others have set, just let your LO take the lead. there's no rush to "finish" BFing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Let your baby tell you what is right for them. There's nothing wrong with offering food multiple times per day but if they don't want it, that's fine. BM and/or formula should be still be the bulk of their calories at this point.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I think for now I'm going to stick to offering food once a day and try to move up to twice a day at 7 months.
  • Options
    One meal a day is fine. I find it strange your pedi is pushing meat. Most babies dont start meat until 9 months or older. Right now you should be taking your time going through the first fruits and veggies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"