Cloth Diapering
Options

Do you go to B&M CD stores?

musicalsilvermusicalsilver member
edited March 2014 in Cloth Diapering
I live in a major metropolitan area that has no real brick and mortar cloth diaper store. In a fit of ennui I've decided that maybe opening a cloth diaper store would be really awesome. However, I do all my cloth diaper shopping online (and really most of my shopping ...). I was curious if you all who are super into cloth diapering frequent cloth diapering brick and mortar stores.

Also - has anyone here run a CD business/have any experience related? This is an idea out of the blue that I haven't really researched yet, so I'm curious about other folks' ideas/experiences!
BabyFetus Ticker
DS born 6/2013

Do you go to B&M CD stores? 109 votes

I use a brick and mortar store for all my cloth diapering needs.
1% 2 votes
I use a brick and mortar store for most of my cloth diapering needs, but go online to find things they don't carry.
6% 7 votes
I use a brick and mortar store about as much as I buy online.
9% 10 votes
I principally buy online, but I occasionally run out to a brick and mortar store.
24% 27 votes
I exclusively use online stores despite having a brick and mortar store nearby.
14% 16 votes
I exclusively use online stores, and have no brick and mortar store nearby.
37% 41 votes
SS/lurker
5% 6 votes

Re: Do you go to B&M CD stores?

• Options
    I think I would only shop at an actual store if I could score good used deals. I might check out different kinds of dipes in person but I would probably wait to buy with a good deal online. I might purchase some really cute local stuff though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    km_mdkm_md member
    The places that I've bought from have both online and B&M stores. The one store is quite far away and the closer one is still about a 25 minute drive, but I like having both options from the companies.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    There is one store that I know of near me (as in in my city - there are a couple in the metro area but I'm not getting a zipcar to drive 50 miles to a CD store) and it's awful. The only diapers you can actually purchase and take home are a couple of prefolds and some Bumkins. They have samples of everything else and you have to make a special order if you actually want to buy a cover or something. Oh, and they charge more than MSRP. So there is no way I would shop there.
  • Options
    The closest store to me is about an hour and a half away. If I'm in the area I stop in and pick up a little something, as I like supporting their business. But since it's so far away I do most of my buying on line.
    photo e9455f4d-9751-469e-a19f-460104cd2e5c.jpg photo jan15.jpg
    BFP #1 5/20/10 Natural MC at 5w4d 5/28/10
    BFP #2 11/3/10; BO at u/s 10w6d 12/16/10; Natural MC 1/7/11; D&C 4/21/11
    BFP #3 10/27/11 Please stick, LO!! 2/6/12 It's a Girl! Alexis Grace born 6/29/12
    BFP#4 4/27/14 Stick, stick, stick!! 8/11/14 It's a Boy! Evan Wesley born 1/8/15
    "Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow, that is patience."  Let it Be (blog)My BFP Charts
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    This time I'm not leaving without you.
  • Options
    I have been to the b&m store here, because I had a gift card. I didn't buy any diapers because there are much better deals online. I bought some dryer balls and stripper instead.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    If there was a B&M store near me that sold the brands I use, I'd definitely do at least some of my shopping there, but the only B&M store I know of in my area carries very few brands of cloth diapers, none of which are made in the USA, which is sad.
  • Options
    I live near a couple CD stores but rarely shop there because I have a serious amazon addiction.
  • Options
    If I had a CD Shop or swap here I DEFINATLEY would use it. The closet thing we have is a BRU 2 hours away and I am not even sure if they sell any CD there.
  • Options
    If I'm in Madison I stop at Nicki's. I'd love to have a Nicki's closer for classes, diaper creams, and when I want a new cover.

If you're considering this I would also offer classes, breastfeeding supplies and carriers.
  • Options
    sarenu1 said:
    If I'm in Madison I stop at Nicki's. I'd love to have a Nicki's closer for classes, diaper creams, and when I want a new cover. If you're considering this I would also offer classes, breastfeeding supplies and carriers.

This. The B&M store in my town has a back room they use for classes (ex:prenatal), group talks (ex: moms with ppd), guest speakers (ex:doulas, nutritionists), you can rent it for parties. They also host toy exchanges and use cloth diaper sales. They sell all types of environmentally friendly toys, dishware, etch as well as maternity/nursing wear and the whole thing. They have a lot going on because they could not thrive on CD apparel alone. I buy my CD supplies online but I do attend their events and I bought my carrier from them because they offer a 1 week trial where you can rent 3 carriers of your choice and then if you purchase one, your rental fee goes toward the purchase. It was an awesome idea and worked out awesome for me because I bought a Boba whereas without any trial I would have bought the Ergo I didn't like as much. I think if you're going to go for it you have to go all the way.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I would shop a lot more at my local store if they carried more variety in the brands I like. The closest store to me that has some CDs is really more of a mom and baby boutique focused on froo-froo clothes, applique shirts, and nursery furniture. Although they rent breast pumps, they did not have an LC on staff or information for anyone local when I had DS, so they lost a little bit of my love.

• Options

sarenu1 said:

If I'm in Madison I stop at Nicki's. I'd love to have a Nicki's closer for classes, diaper creams, and when I want a new cover.

If you're considering this I would also offer classes, breastfeeding supplies and carriers.

This. The B&M store in my town has a back room they use for classes (ex:prenatal), group talks (ex: moms with ppd), guest speakers (ex:doulas, nutritionists), you can rent it for parties. They also host toy exchanges and use cloth diaper sales. They sell all types of environmentally friendly toys, dishware, etch as well as maternity/nursing wear and the whole thing. They have a lot going on because they could not thrive on CD apparel alone. I buy my CD supplies online but I do attend their events and I bought my carrier from them because they offer a 1 week trial where you can rent 3 carriers of your choice and then if you purchase one, your rental fee goes toward the purchase. It was an awesome idea and worked out awesome for me because I bought a Boba whereas without any trial I would have bought the Ergo I didn't like as much. I think if you're going to go for it you have to go all the way.

Agreed. I live next to Cotton Babies and they have all this. Another CD store even has a bf'ing class with an LC. I have purchased all my favorite nursing bras there.

• Options
    My local CD store also offers various classes, and hosts monthly La Leche League meetings. The prices aren't great, but there's a punch-card type loyalty program and occasional sales and specials. Also, if you attend a class you usually get a discount on related items if you purchase that day.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I love our cloth diaper store, they offer story time, classes, mom groups, dad groups, they sell used diapers, and have semi annual consignment sale. I love it, I buy a lot more than diapers from there.
    BFP #1 11/27/11 EDD 08/08/12 M/C 01/27/12 12 wks 2 days
    BFP #2 04/25/12 EDD 01/04/13(?) confirmed ectopic 05/16/12 6 wks 5 days 2 doses of MTX-Lost left tube on 05/25/12 Back to TTC, earlier than originally expected.
    BFP #3 01/05/13 EDD 09/17/13 u/s 1/24/13-great appt, measuring 2 days ahead, NT scan 3/11/13-great scan measuring 4 days ahead, A/S 4/29/13-another great scan can't wait to meet my baby BOY!!!!!
    My Blog

My Sweet (and Spoiled) Furbaby Cali
    Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PgAL/PAL Welcome

• Options
    Back home we had a CD store that also had an online store. The B&M part was run out of the owners' home, and it was only open by appointment. They held occasional classes and open houses. But it wasn't really a place you could easily drop by, and they didn't have a few of the brands I wanted to try.

Where we live now there is a baby boutique that has a small display devoted to CD.
  • Options
    THanks for the feedback ladies!  I really like the idea of having classes/LC accessibility/baby wearing etc. groups meeting at a store as well.  I have read that the profit margin on CD is really small, so it's best to have other types of merchandise as well (esp. carriers etc).  

DH isn't crazy about the idea, and I'm certainly not ready to go guns blazing into this just yet, but you all have provided some wonderful points to think about!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Options
    My B&M store is awesome. Lots of variety, classes, groups, and they price match deals you can get from "the big guys" online.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was just at Nicki's today!
  • Options
    I would love to have a store where I could go check out different diapers before I buy. I like the used deals, so buying full priced new diapers wouldn't happen often. Unless I was in a pinch.

I think selling used diapers in some way would bring in more business, also. I don't know the legal side of it, but maybe consignment if you can't flat out sell used diapers you purchase.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    I go to B&M stores to check things out before I buy online as its usually cheaper.

If the price is right I would shop at actual stores versus online, I prefer to support the local rather than big companies.
  • Options
    The CD store here has some extras, but most of the things other ladies have mentioned are at two close natural parenting stores. However, their main thing is actually a diaper laundry service, so I agree that you would probably need more than diapers for a viable business.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I live near Diaper Junction so I'm pretty lucky. BUT I've only gone there a handful of times for a class when I was pregnant, when I needed something by the next day and when they had a clearance sale.

I'm not sure that asking the question to an online forum is the best way to gauge interest. If we're participating in an online forum we're more likely to shop online and to know about places to get used dipes online. Judging by the crowds I see at Diaper Junction there's a business opportunity there.

BUT we also live in a military area where people are more prone to NEED to cloth diaper (save $) and have a network to share information about it and where to buy (Diaper Junction).

Diaper Junction also has a HUGE online presence so there's that. I would bet they make more $ off that than their brick and mortar.  They also host a lot of events like classes and used dipe swaps to get people in the store.

Good luck!
  • Options
    The first time I went to a B&M store, it was so exciting to see all those diapers in person, lol.  It is about an hour drive for me, so I don't go very often, but if it just happened to be around the corner I might go more often.  Also, I specifically went there once to try on a Boba carrier.  I couldn't decide which one I wanted and it really helped to see one in person.  Also, it's cool to see other brands of diapers in person before buying them.  

My store also has lots of classes and stuff, including birth classes and baby wearing classes.  I think having a cloth diaper store would lend itself to all types of related parenting type stuff that you could expand on.
                                                                                              BFP #1 3/2/12, T born 11/7/12
                                                                                                 BFP #2  7/2/14, CP 7/6/14
                                 BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                       BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      
  • Options
    We also have a cloth diaper "store" in our area that only has a website and not an actual store front, but they regularly attend a weekly farmers/artisans market (or something like that).  So you can meet them, buy in person, etc.  I think they also do classes sometimes and I know they also do weekly meet-ups (its basically a mommy group).  That might be how to go about building a customer base.
                                                                                              BFP #1 3/2/12, T born 11/7/12
                                                                                                 BFP #2  7/2/14, CP 7/6/14
                                 BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                       BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      
  • Options
    I think a more purposeful question might be to ask IF you had a cloth diaper store within 10-15 minutes of your home or work, would you shop there?

We adore our local cloth diaper store, but if there wasn't one nearby, I would do all CD shopping online.  I do prefer going to the store though.  We get personal service and it's nice to look at products and hear expert opinions before buying.
  • Options
    I should mention that I think our local store is successful because they brand themselves as a "natural parenting boutique."  They carry things like a variety of babywearing devices, natural toys and art supplies, soaps and lotions, breastfeeding supplies, etc.  They have classes that don't just pertain to cloth diapers, like a weekly BFing support group and babywearing classes.  I definitely feel that branching out like this has helped their business.
  • Options
    I live by Jillian's Drawers, and despite my best intentions to shop local, I usually end up buying CD stuff online. I do occasionally buy gently used diapers there, though.
  • Options
    @musicalsilver - can I ask what metropolitan area you live near?

We don't have a CD store near me (DC/DMV), and I've told DH many times already that I'm going to quit my job and open a store!  
  • Options

We don't have a CD store near me (DC/DMV), and I've told DH many times already that I'm going to quit my job and open a store!  
    Not that one ;-)

I'm in the South East.  My paranoia about crazy internet stalkers doesn't want me to say anything more than that.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Options

Not that one ;-)

I'm in the South East.  My paranoia about crazy internet stalkers doesn't want me to say anything more than that.
    heh - it's fine, I understand.

GL with your CD incentives!  I'm at least trying to convince DH to buy me a sewing machine so I can make my own (maybe that will be my start of my own CD business :-p)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"