Babies: 0 - 3 Months

2 week old eating A LOT! normal???

In the last 7 hours, my infant has eaten 9 oz, and is currently acting like he wants more after just eating 4 oz about an hour ago. His first sitting was 5 oz. He will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. How is this possible?? His stomach can't be that big!
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
Jase Eli-3/10/14

Re: 2 week old eating A LOT! normal???

• My LO ate constantly and would take a lot of milk at one feeding when he was that little because of his reflux.

Like @Sing2phins‌ mentioned, I would look for other signs of reflux: excessive spit-up, arching back, a lot if discomfort while eating, and really frequent hiccups to name a few.
  • I feel like he randomly gets hiccups quite a bit...
    he pukes when he eats too much, which has happened a few times, but he doesn't spit up too horribly much...
    while he eats, he jerks a lot

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
    Jase Eli-3/10/14

• Loading the player...
  • My LO had and still has projectile vomit, but it's pretty infrequent and they don't have to spit-up often. Silent reflux babies don't vomit much.

Burp really often, every ounce or so if you FF, every few minutes if you BF. Try to keep your baby upright for 30 minutes after eating.

See if that helps at all and talk to your pedi. We put DS on liquid Zantac at 4 weeks and we saw a big improvement within 24 - 48 hours.
  • He also hasn't taken a real nap in almost 5 hours. he only sleeps 10-15 minute spans then gets back up.

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
    Jase Eli-3/10/14

• and we have always burped every ounce, and he burps well typically.
    He does not get laid flat very often.

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
    Jase Eli-3/10/14

• He also hasn't taken a real nap in almost 5 hours. he only sleeps 10-15 minute spans then gets back up.

Poor guy. That's pretty atypical for a baby so young to not be napping all that well. I'm guessing he's uncomfortable. Do you have a carrier? Have you tried wearing him to see if he'll sleep? I wouldn't do that right after a feeding though, it will put too much pressure on his stomach.
  • I bought a carrier a few days ago for him.  I'll be giving his pedi a call tomorrow. :/

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
    Jase Eli-3/10/14

• I felt the same way with my Daughter. I talked to her pedi, and she told me she will let me know when she is done. She was literally eating 3-4oz every 3-4hrs at 3 weeks old. She has continued to eat like a little piggy but is doing great in all the percentiles! Good luck with everything!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"