Baby Names

Team Green, non-popular, Musical names

So we are team green this time and having a hard time with names. We like non-popular names, but not stuff too YouNeek. We have a DD named Eisley Caprice (mn is my mom's name)

We would like to keep the MN's to family names, and if possible continue the musical theme (Eisley is a band), but that is not super important. Our last name is very common, Johnson. I know some of these names will not be your style...but would you side eye me for naming my kid that? So what do you think, suggestions, other thoughts?

Girls:
Emmylou
Margretta "etta"
Sailor
Coraline

MNs: Margret, Megan, Elizabeth, Anna, Kathleen, Noreen, Ella

Boys:
Radford
Jett
Raleigh
Cash
Shepard   

MN's: Jeffery, Gregory, Randall, Robert, Benjamin, 
MC @ 7 weeks 10.19.11
BFP 1.9.12 | EDD 09.18.12 | Eisley was born 10.1.12
BFP 12.20.13 | EDD 8.27.14 | Sheppard was borth 9.5.14
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Team Green, non-popular, Musical names

• I like Shepard.
  • mjreilly2 said:
    I like Etta or Greta or Gretchen or Margaret or Magnolia...but not Margretta. It sounds harsh and like it is missing a letter or two in the middle. Do you mean Margaretta?

Emmylou sounds very juvenile and southern.

Sailor I would side-eye.

Coraline is okay.

The boy names...really dislike them all, especially Cash, Jett, and Raleigh. Shepard looks like you misspelled Shepherd, to me, even though "Shepard" is correct as well.

Suggestions:

Calliope, Aria, Philomena, Viola, Clementine, Cecilia, 

Jude, Apollo, Linus, Reed, Martin, Miles

I spelled it that way because I didn't want it to be pronounced like Margarita.

Also I like the traditional spelling of Shepherd, but my DH liked the other way. 

I LOVE Clementine...but it is becoming very popular. 

Miles is a great name..Thanks for your suggestions. 
    MC @ 7 weeks 10.19.11
  • Loading the player...
  • Shepherd is one of my GP names :) I like Jett and Coraline as well.

Shepherd Randall
    Jett Robert
    Coraline Margaret
    ~Married 12.09.12~
    ~NTNP #1 since 11.14 - Current Cycle: 2~
    imageimage

• mjreilly2 said:
    Margaretta ≠ Margarita

Margretta is pretty bad. Letters are there for a reason.
    yeah....I see it now...saying it out loud does have a pretty harsh sound. 
    MC @ 7 weeks 10.19.11
  • bromios said:
    I meant to ask, this isn't your mom, by any chance? 
    HA! no, she is way too hot to be my mom. 
    MC @ 7 weeks 10.19.11
  • edited March 2014

bromios said:
    bromios said:
    I meant to ask, this isn't your mom, by any chance? 
    HA! no, she is way too hot to be my mom. 
    Lol, just thought I'd ask, since she's the only Caprice I've ever heard of!
    Yeah, my mom was named from some character in a book my great aunt was reading in the late '50s. I have never heard of anyone else with that name. 
    MC @ 7 weeks 10.19.11
  • So we are team green this time and having a hard time with names. We like non-popular names, but not stuff too YouNeek. We have a DD named Eisley Caprice (mn is my mom's name)

We would like to keep the MN's to family names, and if possible continue the musical theme (Eisley is a band), but that is not super important. Our last name is very common, Johnson. I know some of these names will not be your style...but would you side eye me for naming my kid that? So what do you think, suggestions, other thoughts?

Girls:
    Emmylou: I would side eye...a little too young/cutesy.  Emily Louise, nn Emmy Lou is cute.
    Margretta "etta": Love Etta, and wouldn't side eye it or Margretta...I think.
    Sailor: meh
    Coraline: No side eye, and I think it's beautiful!

MNs: Margret, Megan, Elizabeth, Anna, Kathleen, Noreen (could you use this as a FN?  Kind of different,but pretty), Ella

Boys: Don't really like any except Shepard. 
    Radford
    Jett
    Raleigh
    Cash
    Shepard   

MN's: Jeffery, Gregory, Randall, Robert, Benjamin, 

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Justin + Laura 10.18.08
    TTC #1 09.10/Dx PCOS 12.10/BFP #1 12.29.10/EDD 9.10.11/Missed m/c 2.3.11/D&C 2.15.11
    “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”-Kahlil Gibran
    Cycle #1 4.2.11 + Clomid = BFN/Cycle #2 5.9.11 + Clomid + Trigger Shot = TWINS! 
    Walter Allen and Eleanor Joan 1.15.12
    Another baby on the way! 8.25.14

• Why not just name a girl Etta? Etta Elizabeth is a great name, and super cute with Eisley. Coraline Kathleen would be my second choice. Also, I wouldn't consider Clementine popular- it's never going to be an Olivia, or even an Olive. It's super cute, though! Clementine Anna. Love it.

For a boy, I like Shepherd Randall or Miles Benjamin.  

Other suggestions...

Melody, Poppy, Delia, Annabelle, Lyra, Alice, Ada, Hadley, Mae, Ayla, Molly, Adele

Nolan, Dylan, Foster, Sloan, Milo, Otto, Felix, Sullivan, Simon, Louie, Lincoln, Everett 

• I would not classify Clementine as getting popular. Not even close. It gets talked about a lot around here, but it is not used often at all. Check out SSA list. My not surprising suggestion for a musical name is Linus. He was Hercules' music teacher. (And was killed by Hercules, but y'know, no biggie.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'll admit I am crushing on Sailor.
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• edited March 2014
    Agree with PP about just going with Etta, pretty and cute, musical reference is nice and obvious, and very nicely paired with big sis Eisley.

For a boy:
    Taylor
    Harrison
    Lennon

I like Cash, but as a middle name or nickname is best. My 26 yr old brother is Charles Cash Lastname and he has gone by Cash since birth... But recently, professionally, he's started using his real first name more often.
  • nittanyllamanittanyllama member
    edited March 2014
    Love Etta, but I think it's too close to Eisley. Margaretta is nice -- please don't just alter the spelling because you feel like it aka Margretta is not a name. Clementine is not popular AT ALL -- I like it! Coraline is nice too. 

I don't like any of the boy names and couldn't take them seriously on a resume. 

The middle name ideas are all great. 

Ideas: 

Allegra, Lyric, Melody, Viola, Lark, Eleanor, Fiona, Alanis, Loretta (nn Etta), Patsy, Georgia, Jolene, Magnolia, Prudence, Rita

Cyrus, Crosby, Graham, Louis, Waylon, Amadeus, Floyd, Desmond, Amos, Brooks, Garth, Morrison, Bruce, Rufus

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I love Coraline Margaret. Not a fan of your boy names. Can I suggest Jagger? It's a guilty pleasure name for me...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I LOVE the name Emmylou, I wouldn't even give her a middle name with Johnson. I think that is darling, and if my name weren't Emily my first daughter would be Emmylou!

I love Cash and strongly considered it for a boys name before deciding to go with my Grandfathers name. I was going to name him Johnathan Cash (literally after Johnny Cash, but I am a huge fan and love the name) Benjamin is also a favortie of mine
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • LimaDLimaD member
    edited March 2014
    I agree that Etta would be lovely! And of the girl names you gave, Coraline is by far the best option imo. Definitely don't like Sailor, especially for a girl.
    For boy names you gave I don't mind Jett. I know someone recently who named their son Jethro, nn Jett. don't know if that would be an option for you or not
  • I love the name Jett, but that is my son's name.
  • Thanks everyone for your suggestions....gave me and DH lots to think about!
    MC @ 7 weeks 10.19.11
  • Ooh... Jethro nn Jett... I could get on board with that.
  • I know this is an old post, but I was lurking after the name Sailor.  It is one I particularly LOVE for a girl! I actually grew up on a sail boat and the name just fits extremely well with our family. Sounds great with our last name too! I was trying to see what others thought of the name, most everyone I've told in person loves it, people on here seem not so fond. But I think its beautiful, unique, and is good for a child and an adult. And hasn't become popular yet, but I wont doubt that it begins too eventually as people are getting more nautical. 
  • Girls:
    Emmylou - Too country bumpkin sounding.
    Margretta "etta" - I like Margaretta, but not Margretta.  
    Sailor - Shoot me, but I like this name. I wouldn't have the balls to use it because I think quite a few people would side-eye it. 
    Coraline - Gorgeous and adorable. Not side-eye worthy at all!

Boys:
    Radford - It's ok
    Jett - Another total GP for me. I wouldn't side-eye you, but not sure that's the general consensus. 
    Raleigh - I like it, but it's a little too much like Raleigh, NC. 
    Cash - It's OK in a novelty kind of way, but not sure how it would play out over a lifetime.
    Shepard   - It's OK. It kind of reminds me of German Shepard. 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I like Etta Kathleen (Etta by itself, not Margretta) & Sailor Elizabeth.

I love Jett (my best friend names her little boy Jett and he is just adorable). Cash is another CP name for me, but I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to name my kid that. Love Jett Gregory or Cash Randall. Cash Benjamin sounds good but is just too much $$$$. 

LOVE the suggestion of Clementine. Maybe for a middle name?

Here are some other suggestions from musicals......

Girls: Maureen (Rent), Ruth (Wonderful Town), Amneris (Aida), Eileen (Wonderful Town), Beatrice (Much Ado About Nothing), Johanna (Sweeny Todd), Anita (West Side Story)

Boys: Benjamin (Sweeny Todd), Roger (Rent), Tobias (Sweeny Todd)
  • eburgmamaeburgmama member
    edited March 2014
    Bromios - Shane McGowan is the perfect baby name considering the baby won't have any teeth either when it is born :)
    Lucky Mommy to:
    Zoë Elizabeth|11.19.2007 & Finnegan Charles|05.14.2010

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
  • The only girl name I like is Coraline either with Elizabeth or Noreen.

Jett or Shepard with Randall or Robert

• Love your girl names! Emmylou - not too cutesy cause when she's older she could be Lou or Em or EJ (Emmylou Johnson) I like it as one name but could be 2 names.
    Margretta "etta" - not bad but like the others better.
    Sailor - super cute. Prob get side-eyed but I like it. I live in the islands and would love to use that name but I'd get side eyed even more than a stateside girl. (Know a boy here named Ocean and he's a captain. Funny. We grow into our names sometimes.)
    Coraline - nice too
    Noreen - my fav for your style out of all the MNs

Boys Jett is my fav. As someone said watch out for Cash Benjamin being $$. :) Your style is really great. Perfect near the line of unique but not too weird.

I'm expecting a boy so if you think of more boy names post them for me to share!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"