Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Astigmatism

The Lion's Club did an eye screening at his day care and my 10 mo old is showing astigmatism in both eyes.  I do not know how to read the report and received this information after the local eye care center has closed for the weekend.  Does anyone have any experience or can tell me the severity of the numbers?  Right Eye is +1.00 -1.75 87 degrees.  Left eye is +1.75 -3.25 85 degrees.  Some articles I'm finding online say this will likely correct itself as the child grows and the next one says the child will need glass by the time they are three.  Thank you!  

Re: Astigmatism

• Options
    I have it and I didn't need glasses until I was 13. I only wore them for reading, movies, that sort of thing until I was older. Now I wear them all of the time. DS has it a little and he's 7, we plan on getting him some glasses for computer time and school work soon. He says he doesn't notice it, but just in case he's not able to because it's what he thinks is normal.

Give it time and see what comes if it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I actually work for an eye doctors office. Astigmatism just means his eye is shaped more like a football. The type of prescription they found means his up close vision is blurry. In our office we usually dont see children under 3 or 4 unless the parents suspect a problem or the child has an eye that turns in or out. It would be impossible to have a baby that young wear glasses. Eventually though he will need glasses for upclose work (reading,homework,etc). I would find an eye doctor and take your baby there as well because that is a pretty strong prescription and if it was me i would want a second opinion from an eye doctor.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you.  I'm not sure how accurate the numbers are from the portable machine they use so I hope it's not severe requiring that strong of a prescription.  I am calling his pediatrician Monday to get a referral to a doctor that will see kids that young.  

• Options
    Yes, get a referral to a pediatric ophthalmologist.  Babies that young do wear glasses, but probably not for that prescription.  If the prescription is very bad, they give glasses at 1.  Being unable to see close up (and to a lesser extent, far away) can lead to developmental delays.  I don't think the Lion's Club can do an accurate assessment.  The doctor we see spends a lot time with DD and seems to be using a lot of tools.  Glasses are nice if you need them and kids usually like to wear them if it helps them see, so if he does need them at some point, it's nice to know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"