Cloth Diapering
Options

Newbie: type of CD do u love?

laura3462laura3462 member
edited March 2014 in Cloth Diapering
I have read through the CD community and there are so many favorites that people use. I am trying to figure out which ones to purchase. I thought AIO would be easy but it seems as if they take too long to dry and people do not like them. Also has anyone tried these pocket diapers from Amazon they are only $4.99/diaper. Think it is too good to be true https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IPGEZLQ/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3ME5FJBYOYQN1

Thank you I am having a hard time determine what I need come May.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Newbie: type of CD do u love? 79 votes

Bum Genuis Elemental
11% 9 votes
Alva
3% 3 votes
Jungle Roo Pocket
0% 0 votes
Thristy
15% 12 votes
Swaddlebees
10% 8 votes
Charlie banana
2% 2 votes
Fuzzi Bunz
2% 2 votes
Other
54% 43 votes

Re: Newbie: type of CD do u love?

• Options
    tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member
    edited March 2014
    They look like Alvas

My favorites are BumGenius 4.0 (pocket)
    Blueberry pockets

and prefolds/covers

I like Thirsties, SweetPea, Blueberry and Best Bottom covers.

My prefolds are some SweetPea, some Osocozy and some no name Indian prefolds.

My advice is to get a couple of a few types and see what you like the best.   Some of the cheaper brands don't have as absorbant of a liner, and the materials can give out faster.  If you're looking for cheap and functional, prefolds and some decent covers are a great option.

EDIT:  none of the One Size types you've mentioned will fit a newborn.  You'll either need some newborn diapers or to use disposables until baby is about 10 lbs or so.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Bg 4.0

Tot bots

Prefolds and covers ( RaR, blueberry, thirties)

Workhorses & covers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is that many of the options you listed encompass several styles of diapers (AIOs, pockets, covers, etc). I love Thirsties covers, but I have never had much luck with their AIOs due to fit. Also, I had a lot of the FBs Perfect Size in small, and they were great for DS before he was quite big enough for OS; however, I hated the old version of their OS Elites and have never felt like spending the money to try the new version.

If you're really torn, there are some great diaper trials and rentals available that will give you a feel for what functions best for you and your LO. Jillian's Diapers is the one that I used, but I know there are others.

• Options
    The LBB diapers look like they are re-branded Alvas. 

AIO's do generally take longer to dry (although some inserts can take just as long to dry), but my main complaint with them is that OS AIO's are less versatile than OS pockets or All-In-Two diapers.  With pockets & AI2's you can use different sized inserts, different materials and more than one insert to be able to have less bulk on a small baby, but be plenty absorbent for a toddler or to use overnight.   

My favorite newborn diapers are Blueberry's Newborn Simplex AIO (formerly known as Swaddlebee's).  Although for cost reasons most of my newborn stash consists of prefolds and covers.

I really like BestBottom AI2's.  They make up  about half of my OS stash.  My favorite OS pockets are Thirsties, followed closely by Bumgenius 4.0's.

• Options
    For an AIO, Tots Bots has a pretty quick dry time. They dry quicker than our pockets. I have found it useful to have variety in our stash. We still have mostly pockets, but have gotten a lot of use out of covers, fitteds, prefolds and tots bots as well. 
  • Options
    Laurakat81Laurakat81 member
    edited March 2014
    I've only ever used Bum Genius 4.0 pockets and love them!!!

ETA: I haven't found it to take long to dry them. 30 minutes in the dryer for the inserts. I never dry the actual diaper though, even though it says you can, I always hang them to dry in hopes they'll last through more than one baby. I'm not sure how long the hang dry time is as I've always left them overnight but by morning they're always dry.

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Options
    When my daughter was in diapers I loved pockets and the Flip system.

Kawaii Mom Label Bamboo pockets

BG 4.0 pockets

Flip diapers with either a microfiber insert for day or a hemp prefold for night. 

I absolutely did not like the Fuzzi Bunz. One because of the cost and two because they didn't have a flap in the back to keep the insert in. I always found myself tucking it back in once she started crawling and walking. 

This time around I want to try out Flats with Covers. I didn't CD during the newborn stage the first time but I think this will be a good cost effect option for us. 
  • Options
    You never quite know what you will like for sure until you try some.  I thought I would love an AI2 system but in reality I really like prefolds & covers.  I also never thought I would even try a flat because I thought those were "old school" and why use those when there are such more advanced diapers these days...but I am in love with flats now.  You will also probably find a preference for the material the diaper is made out of which is something I didn't take into consideration when I was new to CDing.  Good luck finding what works and keep the questions coming...
  • Options
    It's best to get a little of everything and figure out what works the best for you. Every baby is different. I bought my stash before LO was born and ended up hating what I thought I would love (AIO's) and loving what I thought I would hate (prefolds).

Now my favorites are GMD Workhorses and I use them almost exclusively, with either Thirsties Duo covers, Bummis covers or Blueberry covers. I occasionally use prefolds. I hate pockets and anything with microfiber.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Some of these are specific, some are brands. It's stressing me out, I can't vote.

Yeah, this poll does not make a lot of sense. You may need to do some more research!
    :D

Types of CDs are:
    Flats
    Prefolds
    Pockets
    All in ones
    All in twos.

What you listed are mostly brands, not types.

The type that I prefer is prefolds and covers.
    Brands I like are GMD or Imagine for prefolds, and thirsties or assunta for covers.

Other things I like are kawaii pockets and covers, and I really want to try flats.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Don't forget fitteds. Every stash should have a few fitteds. I'm a big proponent of having a diverse stash. The best of all worlds.
  • Options
    luvbostonluvboston member
    edited March 2014
    Fav kissas fitteds
    Fuzzibunz pockets sized
    Bummis prefolds
    Blueberry Capri cover
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Options
    I prefer flats with a cover.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    i like bg 4.0, flips and osocozy unbleached indian prefolds,

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    mmm50mmm50 member
    Bumgenius- 4.0s and Elementals are my favorite "baby-sitter" diapers

I love Blueberry Simplex when we're just around the house, but they aren't absorbent enough for long periods if we are out.

Surprisingly I love fitted and covers.  Twinkie Tush and Sustainablebabyish fitteds specifically.  I thought I would like pockets and AIOs the most, but fitteds are really my faves now.  Like I am sure you have heard, it's best to have a variety until you know what works best- and even then most moms still have a couple different types.  
  • Options
    BG 4.0 and Best Bottoms. I got 9 Alva pocketa for free and I don't mind them :) I have some hybrids and AIOs coming and I am excited to try them!
  • Options
    Some of these are specific, some are brands. It's stressing me out, I can't vote.
    I think that's why most people ended up voting "other"

• Options
    kcs7kcs7 member
    We use bg 4.0, best bottoms, and a few aio's here and there (also a random grovia ai2 and aio).
    Fav's though are best bottoms for day and fitteds with cover or wool cover for night :)

• Options
    Wow thank you all for your suggestions!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    BG 4.0
    Kristen's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Options
    AprilloMomAprilloMom member
    edited March 2014
    I am a newbie and didn't start CD until DS was 9 months. We've only been using them for almost 2 months. I've only tried Alvas, so I can't really compare to any others. Alvas are pocket diapers, they are made in China so they are much cheaper. We love them so far. Leaking problems at the beginning until we figured out the fit. Some say they won't hold up as long, but other reviews say they last just as long. I have a friend that used them for 2 years on #1 and now using them on #2 and says they are still great. They come with a microfiber inserts. 
    My honest opinion is Alvas are at least half the price of most other pocket brands. So even if I need to replace some with baby #2 I will still have spent less than buying a full stash of the expensive ones. 
    With our next baby I will probably try prefolds and covers in the newborn stage. 
    Married July 2008.  TTC 2010.
    Stephen James born 4/24/13 after 27 hours of labor and 2.5 hours of pushing!
    Due with #2   4/16/15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"