Cloth Diapering
Options

Newborn Diaper question

How many pounds do they go up to?
My family has huge babies, only of my siblings was under 10 lbs and she was a couple of weeks early (and that is without my mom ever having gestational diabeties, the doctors checked pretty obsessively).
I'm thinking I might put off getting any newborn diapers until after the baby is born but I wanted to cloth diaper from pretty much the beginning. So I was just wondering what the normal range was or which ones might be able to last me the longest.
imageimage
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Newborn Diaper question

• Options
    It depends on the diapers.  If your family generally has big babies, Kawaii Pure and Naturals and size 1 Thirsties covers with prefolds might be a good option.  They are smaller than One Size diapers, but they fit a bigger range than most newborn diapers do.

The Kawaii's fit from about 6 lbs to 20 lbs

The Thirsties size 1 covers fit from about 7 lbs to 16-17 lbs

Newborns are funny... they're still kinda scrunched up and have scrawny legs even if they weigh more... so even if you have a 10 lb baby it will probably take a few weeks or a month for the OS to fit properly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Depends what diapers you are thinking about getting for NB stage? 

If you are doing prefolds, www.greenmountaindiapers.com has a pretty good chart showing what size they think their diapers will fit. You could maybe start with their yellow edge. The chart says 10-15 lbs. We used them from about 8 lbs by folding down the back edge to make up for length, and DS started to outgrow the rise at around 12-13 lbs -- he was longer and skinny rather than chunky.

They also have est. sizes for their fitted workhorses. Kissaluvs size 0 might be too small if you are expecting a larger baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kawaii p and n go up to about 30 pounds i believe. i also like regular flip covers with prefolds , they arent newborn diapers they are OS but they fit my baby from birth and at his smallest he was 7 lbs 14 oz

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    kawaii p and n go up to about 30 pounds i believe. i also like regular flip covers with prefolds , they arent newborn diapers they are OS but they fit my baby from birth and at his smallest he was 7 lbs 14 oz
    The PNs don't go up to 30 lbs.  DD is 22 lbs and has been out of them for several months.

Other Kawaii diapers go up to 35 lbs, but wouldn't fit a newborn.

• Options
    My family generally has huge babies as well. I was 11 lbs+ and 23 inches long.
    That's why I was surprised when Amelia came out at 8 lbs 11 oz. She lost a lot of weight due to my low supply so we got 5 weeks of use out of our newborn stash.
    I highly recommend prefolds and covers. They trap ebf poop like nobody's business.
    image   image  image
  • Options
    I also think prefolds with covers like the thirsties duo wrap size 1 would be good. We're still using those covers at 13 lbs, with room for growth yet.

If your baby is huge or even on the small side (we used them starting at 6 lbs), they'd still work.
    Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
  • Options
    I agree that prefolds and a two-size system like thirsties or assunta is a god idea that would work well either way.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"